PDA

View Full Version : Getting blogged

Prophetsnake
10-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Hi,

I've been making queries to bloggers, looking for interviews, and have had very little success. I reckon the number is well over one hundred. One did feature my book, (thank you!) and another has asked for a copy, but most say that they are too swamped with reviews to read mine, or don't reply at all.

I've been getting the names of these people from various sites around the net, google searches, and even here, which may be part of the problem, I may be hitting the same people as every other author on the planet. I'm completely open to suggestions of any sort!

Many thanks

Jo Zebedee
10-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Okay, I've had a little more success so here goes:
1. Give something back. Offer to do a guest post so they have content. Offer to do a review.
2. Try not to approach blind. Honestly, every good lead I have ever had came from engaging with someone,somewhere and getting to know them. Join facebook groups, sff sites etc and spend some time chatting
3 Support them back. Retweet, share on facebook. It's hard for bloggers to gain followers and momentum.

All this takes loads of time and energy but I've found no shortcut to it.

Prophetsnake
10-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks Jo. It never occurred to me to ask to do a review, but that makes sense. I'm pretty active, both online and off, but obviously not in the right places. I'd certainly share or retweet if I connected!

Lizzie7800
10-24-2015, 08:29 AM
I purchased a blog tour through Beck Valley Books, she had 13 blogs on the tour that each reviewed my novel. (One each weekday for almost 3 weeks.). I ran a promo during the same time so I can't say how many sales are attributed to the tour, but it went really well overall.

Prophetsnake
11-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Thanks Lizzie. I'm going to check that out.

(two days later)

I did have a look, and while the particular one doesn't really suit, other blog tours just might. However, I'm going to have to hold off on that for the moment. I don't want to get into the habit of just throwing money at this or that simply to sell a few more books. It wouldn't make any sense unless it really offered a large increase. I have managed to get a couple of bloggers interested since I first posted this, and I'll wait and see how much they wiggle my Amazon graphs.

Thanks again. Learning learning learning.

Publishing Push
11-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Reviewers are frequently very busy but there are ways to make this process easier.

1. If you can offer then your book in advance. Choose a select few very carefully based on what they have reviewed in the past. Make sure they know you are offering them the book exclusively.
2. This was touched on above by Jo. Warm intros are always much better. You can get a similar effect by showing them that you have actually read their blog. Ask them about a recent post or engage on something they have written or shared.
3. Guest Posting is always an excellent way to access busy blogs as you are doing the work for them. Make sure every piece is exclusive and something that will really give value to their audience.

Good luck!

Shadowflame
11-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Reviewers are very busy. They get hundreds of requests a year, and there is just no way for a single person or even a small group to read every book.

To make things easier, don't just send out your book with a request. Do your homework first. See what the reviewer prefers. See if they are accepting books at this time.

Next, write an engaging promo letter. Give your publishing history (if you have any). Suggest if you like... (insert writer you think your work is similar to). Short summary or snippet of the work. Details such as page count, where to get the book, publisher etc.

Lastly, offer to do an interview or guest post. While not every reviewer can read all of the books they do like promoting authors. A guest post from you means you are willing to work for that review and often, they will consider that when choosing the next book.

Prophetsnake
11-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Thank you!
In fact, I have been trying these suggestions and managed to snag a few reviewers. It'll be a month or more before any hit the airwaves, of course.
I've also approached a few Amazon reviewers - the ones whose reviews seemed to me to be well written and thoughtful. I had a few of those people respond as well.
I also had a quibble (bit of an argument, actually) with one blogger when I discovered he had one of my short stories on his site. He apologised and we got talking and he put an ad up for my book, so a result there as well.