Mystery writers

Clearrr

How nice to connect w/other mystery writers! One of the interesting parts of being a mystery writer, for me, is the research, although a friend or two has looked askance at some of the more "morbid" stuff. LOL

Clear

CindyBidar

My hubby finds my fascination with crimes and police work a bit...strange.
Not to mention my Court TV habit. :grin

Writing Again

You really want to get strange? Make friends with coroners, people who work in and around mortuaries, and people who regularly do the make up on cadavers.

These people are a wealth of information and very easy to talk to because a large percentage of the population shuns them. Even those who do not shun them are often uninterested in listening to them discuss their trade.

CindyBidar

I imagine most of the population would prefer not to discuss autopsies over dinner. :D

Clearrr

Re: Mystery writers to Writing Again

It's important to explain why you're asking the questions, though. I had a crematory director become squeamish when I asked him about how someone could cremate a body at home. LOL

Kempo Kid

I was a member of an online group of writers who write about cats. My mystery involves someone who abuses cats, then ups the ante when he decides to try the same techniques on the cat owners. I asked in the group about background material on animal abuse and the criminal psychology of those who do it.

You should have seen the hissy fits! I was accused of writing an instruction manual for animal abusers, and I was told that I made people sick to the stomach when they think about all the animal torture and abuse I was going to be responsible for.

Uh....what?

I quit the group. I have enough problems in my life without worrying about insane people who can't read.

CindyBidar

Seems odd that a group of writers would react in such a way. :huh

katdad

I highly recommend one book for your murder research:

"Practical Homicide Investigation" by Warren Geberth.

Geberth was chief of homicide of NYC for 20 years. This book is the "bible" for homicide.

Warning: This book is for professional cops. It's not a general interest book. It contains very graphic photos and descriptions.

Writing Again

I found:

Practical Homicide Investigation: Tactics, Procedures, and Forensic Techniques, Third Edition
by Vernon J. Geberth

Lowest price $45 used.

Original price almost $90.

Just going through the net and reading reviews and discussions of this book is informative. If it is at Amazon I'm going to put it on my wish list.

Thank you, katdad.

katdad

Another book I recommend is "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets" by David Simon.

This book was the basis for the terrific, sadly missed TV series "Homicide".

David Simon was reporter for the Baltimore Sun, and he took a year off to work as a "new detective trainee" for Baltimore Homicide. Only a few cops knew he was a reporter.

This book is not only a valuable insight into the cop mind, it's a superb read, well worth finding and saving. Entertaining throughout.

Writing Again

Aha. This one I can order next week. (Yes, I have a "book" budget).

Any more?

katdad

Well, a recent novel that makes me REALLY Jealous is Robert Crais' "Demolition Angel" about the LA bomb squad. It's one of the best crime novels I've ever read.

His "Elvis Cole" private eye series also just keeps getting better.

Damn him!