Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Any residents of this fair city want to help me with a story detail? I have my characters strolling around a little after supper near the Marina. Is it possible to stroll out on the docks and admire the boats, or is this a Bozo no-no?

Thanks in advance.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Which docks? There are several, some very private, some very public. I was raised in San Diego, but don't live there now. I never learned to swim and didn't much like the docks because they gave me motion sickness. But I have been on them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

culmo80

Registered
Reaction score
My wife's from there and we visit a couple times a year. You'll need to specific which marina.

Keep in mind too, you are writing fiction. While it's always good to try and make your story as realistic as possible, it's not outside the realm of possibility that a marina would be open for your characters.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Writing fiction, true, but I like to get it accurate as much as possible. In my first published book, I got pushback from readers about my couple eating fish at a Denver steakhouse. "What?" And they were right...trouble is, I generally order fish in steakhouses because the cooks seem to do it so well.

It's not a hill to die on, you're right. Thanks all for the answers.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I have never been to a marina in San Diego, but in New England they are open to the public, and anyone can walk on the docks, unless they get in the way. I have never walked through a marina at night, but boat owners need to be able to access their boats, so the same should hold true at night.

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
The place I thought of first is Seaport Village which has shops, restaurants, etc and is right by the marina and down the path from the Marriott San Diego. You can walk along the marina and look at all the boats, but there are locked gates to get onto the docks. But you're right there. You can see all kinds of boats just feet away. As a matter of fact, if you were willing to go from the sidewalk and into the water to reach a boat, you could. The marina itself isn't fenced off, just the dock access.

Status
Not open for further replies.