So confused about the genres agents represent.

CryingKatie

Registered
Reaction score
"currently seeking works in the following genres: literary/commercial fiction, women’s fiction, fantasy, science fiction, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, contemporary romance, historical fiction, young adult and middle grade fiction. "

I'm confused. I wrote a middle grade fantasy novel. See how the list includes fantasy and middle grade separately, does that mean that they don't represent middle grade fantasy. Does it mean they represent adult fantasy and non fantasy middle grade?

Also, is 25,000 words enough for middle grade fantasy?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
25K is a bit low, but I've heard of less selling. My understanding is that it depends on the suggested age-range, but I'm not as experienced with younger children's fiction as I am with older such as YA.

They would probably rep a MG fantasy novel. Read between the lines.

Although I would be hesitant of querying this agent due to their wide span of genres. Have you researched them?

CryingKatie

Registered
Reaction score
What about 32,000 thousand words?
It's the Knight Agency. They have a lot of agents looking for a lot of different things.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
Middle Grade fantasy counts as middle grade fiction. If they accept MG at all, they almost certainly accept MG Fantasy.

(In my experience, agents who rep lots of things including MG and YA will say "x, y, z, MG and YA." In the case of children's-only agents, we will often get more specific.)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
With the Knight Agency - with any large, reputable agency, really - it's important not to query too soon. Is the mms really ready? Polished? Beta-read for plot and continuity errors? Edited to the best of the author's ability (note: I do *not* say professionally edited here)? Do you have a clean and snappy query letter?

Then query. If you have any doubt, don't do it yet. You get one shot with big agencies unless they really like enough of your story to forgive clunky bits - and that's rare. It's not that agents are reading to reject, but they have to be extremely picky. Back in 2019-2010, I queried a large fantasy story long before it was ready, deluding myself into thinking I could be the exception to the rule. Nope. I wasn't.