Please, make the reboots stop.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
This morning, I learned that not only is Lethal Weapon getting a reboot for TV--MacGyver is also getting rebooted.

Television Powers That Be? If you're really that hard up for ideas, I humbly suggest that you reboot my books as television series. So there.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised it took this long for MacGyver, tbh. Equally surprised that the reboot didn't gender-flip MacGyver.

RetsReds

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes Sofia, Bulgaria. Usually - some quite bl
Actually, today there are more original movies and TV shows than ever before. It's just that the amount of reboots is increasing as well and since those make more money, we generally notice them more. But there's is in no way a "lack" of fresh and new ideas - there are hundreds of Hollywood movies every year, soon-to-be ~thousand, and 90% of them are original ideas. But since there are also ~100 reboots, sequels and book/comic adaptations per year, while 30 years ago there were only ~10 such movies per year, we all notice that and complain that "everything is a reboot/sequel/adaptation now!". It's not. There are plenty of fresh indie movies/TV shows out there.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Could you tell me the last one with an original idea? I'm not being snarky, it's a genuine question.

RetsReds

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes Sofia, Bulgaria. Usually - some quite bl
Could you tell me the last one with an original idea? I'm not being snarky, it's a genuine question.

Here (I'm not being snarky either): http://www.imdb.com/
In the Top 5, Opening this week and Coming soon there are several biographies and other non-originals, but there are also several original movies. And those are just the Top ones, the ones big enough to be listed in Imdb's front page. There are plenty others that require some digging, many of which won't even reach theaters, because audiences just don't care about them (and yes, because many of them are crap).
There's even a Fukunaga film with Idris Elba coming on Netflix soon (can't remember the name), that won't have a theater release (and that (I think) is an original idea) - and that's a movie that's not on imdb's front page.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score

Hmm... What do you mean by "original"? Nothing is original under the sun anymore, so...

Do you mean like, not a reboot or sequel?

At the moment, I can think of some animated films in the past, like: Inside Out; Frozen; Wreck-It Ralph; Up; any Studio Gibli films; etc. I think those can be considered "original", yes?

I was reading a few recent issues of Entertainment Weekly and some other TV/Movie sites, and while there are some reboots and sequels, there were some original (usually drama or indie) movies and TV shows coming up.

There were also some Netflix and Amazon original series, too, like Orange is the New Black, Orphan Black (I think?), House of Cards, some other series I can't remember right now, etc.

Last edited:

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
You know, you say that, and I agree with that, but... I'd really like to see a television version of The Purge. Never before has such a good concept died such an underwhelming death. I think could be a very interesting project if they did a 12-episode season and ran it in real time like 24. I'm not a fan of reboots for reboots sake, but in some circumstances, like Battlestar Galactica, the original has some an unlocked potential, or angle, and a reboot can unlock it.

Last edited:

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
You know, you say that, and I agree with that, but... I'd really like to see a television version of The Purge. Never before has such a good concept died such an underwhelming death. I think could be a very interesting project if they did a 12-episode season and ran it in real time like 24. I'm not a fan of reboots for reboots sake, but in some circumstances, like Battlestar Galactica, the original has some an unlocked potential, or angle, and a reboot can unlock it.

I think John Huston said something along the lines that only bad movies should be re-made. Not that I think that should be followed as verbatim advice, but there is something to be said about making another go at something that seemed like such a good idea at the time, but never quite panned out.

For example, I watched the entire series of Lost, during which my step-son and I had an ongoing argument. He claimed that the writers had a definite end in mind, while I, sometime in the middle of season two, became increasingly suspicious that they were making it up as they went along, hoping maybe to write themselves out of the muddle they were creating. So I watched the whole rest of the series just to prove I was right (yes, I can be that petty. Not proud of it, but there you go).

So there's one I'd like someone to re-make: Lost but without the tacked-on re-hashed Twilight Zone embarrassment of an ending.

Also,The Hobbit, but just ONE MOVIE PLEASE!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Here (I'm not being snarky either): http://www.imdb.com/
In the Top 5, Opening this week and Coming soon there are several biographies and other non-originals, but there are also several original movies. And those are just the Top ones, the ones big enough to be listed in Imdb's front page. There are plenty others that require some digging, many of which won't even reach theaters, because audiences just don't care about them (and yes, because many of them are crap).
There's even a Fukunaga film with Idris Elba coming on Netflix soon (can't remember the name), that won't have a theater release (and that (I think) is an original idea) - and that's a movie that's not on imdb's front page.

I don't know what I'm meant to looking at in that link.

The Martian - one of a long line of someone lost and having to survive using just their wits.
Peter Pan - a remake
The Walk - a documentary made out of two other documentaries
Big Stone Gap - a rom-com where someone finds love after a family secret is revealed.... hmm... how many times have we seen that plot?
Steve Jobs - biography.
Final Girls - looks like a slasher movie featuring young women.... yeah, no. Not original.

Not sure I see anything original there. Which one was it you meant? I'm not being snarky either. I just genuinely don't see anything I haven't seen before in other films. Granted they aren't reboots as such but....

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm... What do you mean by "original"? Nothing is original under the sun anymore, so...

Do you mean like, not a reboot or sequel?

At the moment, I can think of some animated films in the past, like: Inside Out; Frozen; Wreck-It Ralph; Up; any Studio Gibli films; etc. I think those can be considered "original", yes?

I was reading a few recent issues of Entertainment Weekly and some other TV/Movie sites, and while there are some reboots and sequels, there were some original (usually drama or indie) movies and TV shows coming up.

There were also some Netflix and Amazon original series, too, like Orange is the New Black, Orphan Black (I think?), House of Cards, some other series I can't remember right now, etc.

My post was in answer to this:

and 90% of them are original ideas.

You just said there's no such thing as an original idea..........

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score

Not original.

Given that your avatar is of something that was reintroduced to fans in the 21st century after two cancellations in the 80's, and an attempt to start it up again the 90's, I wonder if you're aware of the irony of your criticisms on originality. As if the idea of an alien visitor to Earth (The Man Who Fell To Earth, The Day the Earth Stood Still, E.T.) and abducting people to travel through time and space, (Syd and Marty Kroff's Lost Saucer) was completely original.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
ERmmm.... not sure why you're snarling at me. I didn't say Dr Who was original. I made no claims about Dr Who at all. So I'm not sure where the irony is.

My original point was about the 90% claim. I asked for some evidence. Isn't that what we're supposed to do? I'm not trying to annoy anyone. So ... was that snark really necessary?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I think John Huston said something along the lines that only bad movies should be re-made. Not that I think that should be followed as verbatim advice, but there is something to be said about making another go at something that seemed like such a good idea at the time, but never quite panned out.

I think it's excellent advice, even verbatim. Taking something lousy and making it awesome will get you things like "Little Shop of Horrors." The version everyone recognizes is actually a remake of a truely horrendous black-and-white-era film, a fact I learned as a teenager when I accidentally rented the wrong video.

The way I figure it, the whole point of a remake or reboot is to improve on the original version. Nobody goes into a remake planning to create an inferior product (at least I hope not). If the initial film is terrible,* then the goal of creating something better is almost guaranteed. However, if the original knocked it out of the park with its awesomeness, the odds of improving on it are next to nil, and the project is liable to be a waste of time for creators and viewers alike.

*And being dated does not make something terrible. If the only reason something's being rebooted is to update the slang and clothing, it's insufficient reason to greenlight the project.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
So ... was that snark really necessary?

There was nothing snarky in my reply. I'm sorry if you feel defensive, but I was simply replying to your point. You had listed certain entries from IMDB and pointed how how unoriginal they were (being quite snarky yourself, I might add) and I pointed out how equally unoriginal "Doctor" Who was.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sigh.... I was replying to the point made by someone else. I wasn't being snarky. You've misunderstood me and then blamed that on me. I really can't be bothered getting involved. So I'm leaving this thread.

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's excellent advice, even verbatim. Taking something lousy and making it awesome will get you things like "Little Shop of Horrors." The version everyone recognizes is actually a remake of a truely horrendous black-and-white-era film, a fact I learned as a teenager when I accidentally rented the wrong video.

The way I figure it, the whole point of a remake or reboot is to improve on the original version. Nobody goes into a remake planning to create an inferior product (at least I hope not). If the initial film is terrible,* then the goal of creating something better is almost guaranteed. However, if the original knocked it out of the park with its awesomeness, the odds of improving on it are next to nil, and the project is liable to be a waste of time for creators and viewers alike.

*And being dated does not make something terrible. If the only reason something's being rebooted is to update the slang and clothing, it's insufficient reason to greenlight the project.

A good example of a completely unnecessary remake of a movie is Gus Van Sandt's shot for shot re-make of Psycho, a really horrible idea, somewhat akin to trying to improve on Casablancaor The Third Man.

Just have to mention that I actually liked the original Little Shop of Horrors (liked the remake too). Then again, I'm the sort of person who actually enjoys watching things like Alien vs Predator, so my tastes might not be the most discriminating :).

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tazlima said:
The way I figure it, the whole point of a remake or reboot is to improve on the original version.
Well, I think that is one reason. People have been retelling stories since there were stories, and setting them in their own time and their own context. To that end I don't have a problem with it. Someone mentioned Battlestar Gallactica and I really enjoyed the reboot. I don't particularly enjoy when they take something like 21 Jump Street and crap all over it with bad comedy. But I guess someone enjoyed it. I don't have to watch it and my old show is still there.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind remakes of really old movies, because it does introduce new people to them. You won't find too many twenty something year olds rushing out to get movies from the fifties, sixties, or seventies. Same goes for old tv shows.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I don't mind remakes of really old movies, because it does introduce new people to them.

I do seriously object to Lethal Weapon and MacGyver being considered "really old."

I watched those. They're not OLD!!!!!

Sometimes, a remake is better than the original. Take "Pocketful of Miracles." The original, "Lady for a Day," had no staying power. When Frank Capra (also director of the original) remade it with Glenn Ford and Bette Davis, it became something wonderful.

I'd argue as good as John Wayne's "True Grit" was, the recent remake was better. Maybe not necessary but really good.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score

The Martian - one of a long line of someone lost and having to survive using just their wits.
Peter Pan - a remake
The Walk - a documentary made out of two other documentaries
Big Stone Gap - a rom-com where someone finds love after a family secret is revealed.... hmm... how many times have we seen that plot?
Steve Jobs - biography.
Final Girls - looks like a slasher movie featuring young women.... yeah, no. Not original.

Not sure I see anything original there. Which one was it you meant? I'm not being snarky either. I just genuinely don't see anything I haven't seen before in other films. Granted they aren't reboots as such but....

Well, if you don't see The Martian as something original, and all rom-coms are the same to you, then pretty well anything can be declared unoriginal. "That movie? So unoriginal. It started with some characters. Then there was a conflict. The characters did stuff. And can you believe it? There was a climax, followed by a resolution and an ending. Seriously, can't they think up anything new these days?"

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Just have to mention that I actually liked the original Little Shop of Horrors (liked the remake too). Then again, I'm the sort of person who actually enjoys watching things like Alien vs Predator, so my tastes might not be the most discriminating :).

Have you ever poured yourself a drink, then forgotten what you chose? So maybe you go to take a swig of what you expect to be milk and get a mouthful of orange juice instead. There's that weird moment where your brain, instead of going "Hey, this is actually delicious orange juice," thinks, "OMG, this milk is disgusting."

I may have to give the old version another chance. I'm sure much of my distaste was simply disappointment because it wasn't what I expected.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I may have to give the old version another chance. I'm sure much of my distaste was simply disappointment because it wasn't what I expected.

I've been thinking about this in regards to David Bowie's The Man Who Fell to Earth. I recall the movie not making a heck of a lot of sense and moving along at a snail's pace, and being more like a grown-up's version Bambi; just a series of loosely connected events with only the main characters to remind you that this was all happening in the same movie.

But I was in high school then, so maybe it was just my perception and my attention span that effected my enjoyment. I loved the book, and perhaps I'll enjoy the movie if I give it a chance again.

On the subject of reboots: I kind of loosely hope that they do a remake of The Man Who Fell to Earth, preferably more faithful to the books than the original. With all of the current events involving immigration and the refugee crisis, I think the book would be even more relevant today.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I've been thinking about this in regards to David Bowie's The Man Who Fell to Earth. I recall the movie not making a heck of a lot of sense and moving along at a snail's pace, and being more like a grown-up's version Bambi; just a series of loosely connected events with only the main characters to remind you that this was all happening in the same movie.
You weren't wrong.