PDA

View Full Version : How can I get a bookstore to carry my book?

MothAnkles
10-03-2015, 08:45 AM
I have my debut novel forthcoming (it's in the editing stages, so I'm still a ways out) with a small/indy publisher located well away from my headquarters. I know of at least one indy bookstore which is an asset and a happening place in the "community" here locally and would like to have them carry my debut. Do I just cold call them and ask for the manager?

Jo Zebedee
10-03-2015, 02:55 PM
I'd pop in and speak to the manager - they're often more sympathetic than you think. :)

Cathy C
10-03-2015, 04:33 PM
If it's an indie store, or even a regional chain, ask if you can consign the book. Bring a press package about the book and go in person. It's long been a method to get books from indie publishers to readers (like the last 50 years or so). You'll be responsible to keep the book stocked. They won't reorder, for example, and advertising will be on you. They take a portion of the purchase price and if the book doesn't sell, they can end the agreement. They'll limit you to 3-5 books on the shelf at a time, but it'll be there and if you can convince the manager you'll get feet in the door to buy it--which often means they'll buy other books, it can be a solid partnership for years. :hooray: The nice part is, if the book is a good seller, you might graduate to where they'll actively stock it direct from the publisher.

MothAnkles
10-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Thanks!!!

MarlynnOfMany
10-10-2015, 05:48 AM
I just did this exact thing! Copperfield's Books is a local chain where I live -- 7 locations -- and I called each location to talk to the consignment person. Each location did things slightly differently: one wanted to meet me in person and look over the book before they'd agree to carry 5 copies on consignment; another just said they'd order it straight from the distributor and I should stop by to sign them some time. But one way or another, there are a few copies of my book in each store, and it was pretty easy! (And I know that at least two people have bought copies, because they're friends and they told me.) :)