Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
So incredibly sad.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The US has a serious mass-shooting problem.

I anticipate that this latest shooting will result in the exact same political song-and-dance leading to absolutely nowhere that all of the previous mass shootings have resulted in.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
In the article I cited, there's a screen capture of some of the shooter's quotes in the days before the shooting (including the one where he wishes everyone a "Happy Elliot Roger day" and refers to him as his "hero").

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
In the article I cited, there's a screen capture of some of the shooter's quotes in the days before the shooting (including the one where he wishes everyone a "Happy Elliot Roger day" and refers to him as his "hero").

Yeah, I read a thread the loser posted in. Very much steeped in PUA hack language. Everyone and their aunt is a beta.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh no. He referenced Rodger? Goddamnit.

ETA But ER did his shooting in May.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Oregon several blocks from a community college. Not this one. I've taken classes at mine for several years as an older student. College campuses are magical to me. People there for learning. This is so sad.

Last year at the local high school, also a few blocks from me, a 15-yr-old student shot and killed a 14-yr-old student, wounded a teacher, then killed himself.

And now his older brother, whose gun was used in the shooting, may be getting the gun back. Why on earth would he want that?

http://www.ktvz.com/news/judge-troutdale-may-have-to-return-gun-to-shooters-brother/35319188

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
The archived 4chan thread is here. It's utterly disgusting.

America needs to get rid of guns. I'm so tired of worrying which of my teacher and student friends are going to get caught in the next one. So tired.

EDIT: Crosspost with backslashbaby!

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'd like to propose that the problem isn't just easy access to guns.

It's also a society where as soon as we get upset or frustrated we reach for a gun to "solve" the problem. We don't have any problems getting ticked off in road rages and shooting each other; we grab a pistol and take out the neighbor claiming we were threatened and just "standing our ground".

When your first reaction is to get a weapon and shoot at others, the issue may not be just easy access to guns. It might be that we've raised a generation used to using violence to solve any problems instead of actually talking.

JMO.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Or people like this little psychopath, who seemed to just be pissed off that nobody could recognize his "greatness" and decided this was the perfect way to get the attention he craved.

Which is why we need to stop giving names and focusing on the perpetrators of mass shootings like this. Let them fall into complete obscurity while we focus on the illnesses these events are symptoms of and the healing of those who have suffered losses.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Which is why we need to stop giving names and focusing on the perpetrators of mass shootings like this. Let them fall into complete obscurity while we focus on the illnesses these events are symptoms of and the healing of those who have suffered losses.

My teacher refused to teach us the name of the man who shot JFK for exactly this reason. (I made a point of never looking it up, either. If I knew it once I've forgotten it.) We're feeding their need for attention. We shouldn't be. We should let them die in just as much obscurity as they lived.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
These shootings are becoming so common that I can't even remember the names of the shooters anymore...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Well, it's not going to happen. And frankly I think many who suffer the losses want to know the "who" and the "why." And they should be allowed to know, imo.

As to everyone else, it's an event, it happened, and the "who" and the "why" matter. Sure, media people go too far. But with what don't they go too far?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Mass killings in a nutshell:

Who: 94% of the time, men.
Why: Because they're angry.