What would YOU do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My older son was attacked by his step-momster. Think I am stretching the truth? Listen to this:

They do not get along. Never have. She never misses a chance to tell him that he is worthless, unloved, unwanted, a burden. Her standard comment to him is, "You're just a punk-*** kid who'll never amount to anything."

He has just a coupla short months to go till graduation. Thank GOD! But he has to stay put or else it will wreck his graduation and his ability to get in-state tuition at the college where he is going in the fall.

I picked the boys up for Spring break yesterday. While I was driving in to my mom & dad's house the night before (they live a couple of hours away form my boys), Dan had a fight with his step-momster. She was nit picking, as usual. She always starts something when they are about to come here. This time it was about the clothes he left on his bathroom floor. She has a tendancy to flip completely out and Dan doesn't react well to that. She got in his face screaming and yelling and he stood there. (All of this is confirmed by my younger son who was there.)

She went into the punk-*** kid who'll never amount to anything stuff and Dan had just HAD it. He did it. Yep. He called her a *****. He's never done that before. So she went ballistic. Started beating the crap out of him. (Bear in mind that this is an upper middle class family - high end neighboord. The whole deal) Again, he stood there. At one point, he just grabbed her wrists to stop her, so she kicked him in the groin. When he doubled over, she hit him again in a way that knocked his arm into the corner of the doorway. His arm has a hairline fracture now.

This is an 18 year old kid who could have really hurt her if he had wanted to.

Here is the problem. I want to call the cops. Dan is begging me not to. (This happened day before yesterday) He thinks his dad will throw him out on his ear and he'll not be able to graduate and will lose his in-state tuition for college. He wants to try to tough it out for a couple more months and then be done with it.

Part of me wants to beat her to death, call the cops, SOMETHING! Another part of me understands that Dan's future depends on being able to tough it out just a little longer.

What would you do?!?! I am really torn. She has gotten away with this crap for so long. All because of fear of how it would play out afterward witht the boys.

Ex-jerk at first sided with the boys. He was still at the office when it happened. Seth called him and told him what was going on and HE actually said for Seth to call the cops. He quickly changed his opinion and said that he was coming home. She threw Dan out and he went down the street to a friend's house. As he was going out the door she kicked it shut and hit him with it. The friend's mom is the one who took him to the hospital. They didn't disclose anything. Said he had an accident and they weren't questioned about it.

By the time ex-jerk got home she had her story all lined out and twisted it like she does. Said that Daniel attacked her. (Please. He is as much of a pacifist as I am) So then he called Dan and told him that he needed to sit down and talk it out with her. She grabbed her kids and ran off to Tennessee to her mom's house and ex-jerk followed her.

I SO want to hurt this woman. You have no idea.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carole, does he have a buddy he could stay with for a couple of months? That would be ideal.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
He does. I just edited and added that part about where he went. The friend's mom really wants him to stay there until graduation but Dan feels like he'd be a burden on their family.

He actually has a few freinds he could stay with. He gets thrown out by the step-momster and sometimes his dad fairly often and he ends up going to this friend's house or that friend's house. Most of them know her and know how she is. They aren't surprised when Dan comes knocking on their door and always take him in.

Did I mention that the step-momster is being sued? She is a special needs teacher (elementary age kids). She got fed up with her class one day and just walked out, leaving those kids unattended. The parents are suing her and the school.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Violence begets violence, silence begets silence.

Suppose you let it go and she beats on the younger son after the older has gone. And does some real damage. And the cops/judge will say: "Why didn't you call the police, then?"

If this all went down just as your sons say, then call the cops, press charges, and don't let your boys near her again.

Rob :)

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Carole, I'm so sorry. It does sound like he needs to get out of there quickly. Perhaps he could come to an arrangement with his friend's family so he feels less of a burden staying with them, helping them out.

EmoteHug2.gif

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
They are here for a little more than a week. We are trying to get our heads together about what to do.

I do believe my boys. She's never been physically violent with either of them before - it's always a verbal-emotional mind screw thing. Seth stays under the radar. She doesn't seem to have any issues with him. He gets straight A's, keeps his mouth closed and does as he is told. When she yells as him he just stands there till she's done and then he goes to his room. Dan is mouthy. He always has been. That is no excuse for her hitting him.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
When I was seventeen, I was in a situation where I was forced out of my home because of an on-going situation with my step-father. I was a junior in high school and had already started plotting my course to college. My mother didn't believe what had been going on, so I took the matter into my own hands and moved on . . .

Getting myself to school everday was near impossible -- what kid wants to go to school when there's no parent there to "make" them. Working to earn rent, electricity and food was another issue. It was hard juggling homework and employment, but I had no choice and did this for two years.

Had my mother stepped in and taken care of the situation, none of that would've happened. My step father was so bitter toward me that anytime a family event came up, I wasn't allowed to attend . . . and, if I did, it would end up being a disaster. My mother's refusal to step to the plate encouraged that behavior even more.

It wasn't until I was twenty-two that this whole situation was resolved . . . by then, though, the damage had already been done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I agree with everyone in that another situation needs to be found. I speak up each time I see parent/child relationships screwed up due to a step parent or S.O. . . . because the last thing I want to see happen is what I went through. (there's so much more to my story, but no one wants to read all of that)

So, even though he'll resent you for ten minutes when you do step in . . . he'll thank you for the rest of his life for doing so.

scarlet

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Carole,

I am so sorry you are having to go through a situation like this it must be dreadful for you. My inclinations would be to involve the police because this is a serious assault. If she thinks she can get away with it with Dan, how long will it be until she starts on your other son? Trouble is it sounds like she's very clever at twisting things and the whole thing could rebound on your son. Although, he does have his brother as a witness. Presumably, at 18 he is no longer classed as a minor otherwise this would have been child abuse?

Is there any other place he could stay? Such as a friend, as Unique so wisely suggested. What about a youth hostel? As it's only for a few months it may be worth it to know he is safe. If it happens again he may be tempted to retaliate and assault her.

I think you would be advised to gain professional advice here, perhaps someone to mediate with all parties involved? Is there a student counsellor at Dan's college that might be able to help?

Sorry, I can't help more but being in the UK it's difficult. I hope you get it sorted out soon for everyone's sake.:Hug2:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
He does. I just edited and added that part about where he went. The friend's mom really wants him to stay there until graduation but Dan feels like he'd be a burden on their family.

Oh, Carole. I really feel for you guys. So close to graduation is a stressful time to begin with and this just makes it worse.

Please try to impress upon Dan that most grown ups don't feel the same way as young people do in situations like this. I, personally, don't like to feel beholden to other people but sometimes when you need a hand - you just need a hand. There will be a time in his life when Dan can help someone else, and because someone helped him (and he allowed them to) it completes the circle.

What I mean is - caring adults would consider it a privilege to help him out in his hour of need. Knowing his situation, keeping him safe with his graduation plans intact - it isn't a burden, it's a privilege.

He can always help out around the house - chores and such - as a member of the family. That's not a burden.

I'm not explaining myself too well today, but I think you know what I mean.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
The woman is a bad influence with a bonus of being physically abusive.

Your boys shouldn't have to endure that.

Your ex-husband is a jerk for allowing it.

Involving the police won't be pretty, but I think you should make a report.

The fact that the beyotch walked out on her special needs class ........reiterates the fact that she is a selfish, disturbed individual.

You don't want your boys living with a person like that.

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
you should call the cops, and even though he feels he'll be a burden on his friends family, he should stay there. thats the best thing really.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
We've been talking about it this morning. I've been sharing with him what you guys have shared with me. He had to stay with other families for 5 days about a month ago. I didn't know about it until it was over. He went from one friend's house to another. Each day when he saw his brother at school, he'd tell him where he'd be the next night. Seth was the only one who knew where he was from one day to the next and he'd sworn him to secrecy.

Dan really doesn't want to go to another friend's house. He says that all the parents made him feel very welcome, but that he always felt like he was imposing. I'll talk with one of the moms later this week and see what's up. She is the one who has taken him in the most and she knows their step momster the best - knows what she's really like because she's witnessed it first hand once when picking up her son at their house.

We just learned that he was accepted into the college of fine arts at the university he'll be attending in the fall. We knew he was accepted into the school, but didn't know until yesterday about the fine arts college. This should be such a thrilling time in his life. His dad and step-witch should be thrilled right along with him. But he only gets that from his dad's parents and my side of the family.

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what informing the cops about this would do? Maybe it would straighten her out! Maybe it would shake his dad up enough to make him stand up and be a man - keep her in line!

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
robeiae said:
Violence begets violence, silence begets silence.
<<Snip>>
Rob :)

Words of wisdom.

However, be prepared for what step-momster may do. She may just report Dan to the police.

I think I would report this, you have the hospitals report, and the neighbors backing, I would do what robeiae advises and report it now. Let Dan stay with the neighbor.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
GPatten said:
However, be prepared for what step-momster may do. She may just report Dan to the police.
For what? He has a fractured arm and bruises. She has nothing.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I know I'm going to look ignorant, but who does he have to stay there in order to graduate? Can't he just switch schools and finish high school somewhere else?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's a liar, Carole. You know that.

I agree that you should report her first, before she has a chance to report a lie.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
DamaNegra said:
I know I'm going to look ignorant, but who does he have to stay there in order to graduate? Can't he just switch schools and finish high school somewhere else?
Since he is so close to graduation, he can't transfer to another school. He'd have to take the equivelancy, and he'd also lose his in-state tuition for college in the fall. His tuition would more than double next year if he transferred out of state.

(The school hwere he is now has block scheduling and the schools in my district don't, so he couldn't just do a transfer and finish up here. Here, they are doing a full load of classes all year long. Shorter class periods and more classes during the day. There, they finished half of their classes in the first half of the year and are finishing the other half in the second half of the year. They have longer class periods and fewer classes per semester.) ETA: I got that wrong.

They actually DO have block scheduling here just like they do there, but the classes are reversed. The school where he is now is working on classes that were already covered in this school last semester. And vice versa.

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Well then, you should report her to the police, and maybe arrange something with a neighbor or one of his friends. Even if he doesn't like imposing, his whole future depends on that he does.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how far apart the two places are geographically (where Dan lives and where you live) but maybe a trip to the local police department would answer some questions for you.

Maybe you could file a complaint by fax instead of driving all the way back there. Something to think about, anyway. And they may have some advice for you - especially if you go asking for their opinion on what you should do. :D

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Unique said:
I don't know how far apart the two places are geographically (where Dan lives and where you live) but maybe a trip to the local police department would answer some questions for you.

Maybe you could file a complaint by fax instead of driving all the way back there. Something to think about, anyway. And they may have some advice for you - especially if you go asking for their opinion on what you should do. :D

Unique's right, asking never hurt anyone. After you've asked, you can discuss what you can do and you'll be better informed.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Carole said:
What would you do?!?! I am really torn. She has gotten away with this crap for so long. All because of fear of how it would play out afterward witht the boys.

Here's one idea: Find out what the statute of limitations on assault/battery is in the state the incident occurred. If it is long enough to still be prosecutable after Seth turns eighteen, have Dan swear an affadavit with an attorney detailing this incident, and hold onto it. If the Step physically assaults your younger son at any time before he becomes an adult, tell your ex she will be arrested for both incidents. Once (as far as a judge is concerned) could be a temporary loss of control. Twice is an established behavior pattern, and will probably earn her more than a slap on the wrist.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
The problem here, as I see it, is that this woman is not a very stable person. If she's charged or someone tells the police and they give her a warning or something, she won't be happy. Also, your kids would still have to live with her (unless you can figure out another arrangement). What are the guarantees she will not try to take it out on Dan or Seth? After all, Seth is still living with her, and with Dan gone, it is natural (although repulsing) that she look for another scapegoat to vent.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
damanegra makes a good point,

how old is seth?

with dan gone (although, he will be leaving soon anyway) will seth be able to handle his dad and step mom by himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.