Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I've been working on this project for almost four years now. And with the way I've written it, I've written a lot of "drafts", but this is only the second time that I've actually typed THE END.

So maybe it's not that special, but it certainly feels special to me.

This book is in a much better place than it was on the first completed draft. The characters feel more real, and they've been speaking quite loudly for quite a while now; now it feels like I'm telling their story, instead of the story I was trying to tell, if you know what I mean. I am happy with what I've written, and I'm at the point where it's time to get outside eyes on it.

Now, there's still a lot of work to do. The draft went just a smidge long for Contemporary YA, 104,542; I'll be working with a writer and attacking this thing with a blowtorch to pare it down to size.

But in the meantime? Onto the next project!

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what it's like to finish a second draft but if it's anything like finishing a first draft, you must be pretty happy. Congrats!

citrine

writing the night away
Registered
Reaction score
That's great! It always feels like a victory when you reach the end of a draft -- first, second, twelfth, however many it takes. Kudos for sticking with it!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, where's the party? :partyguy:

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! Congratulations! Getting to the end of any draft is worth celebrating!

Altiv

Chasing the dragon...
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, congratulations! I still remember the first time I typed 'The end.' It felt wonderful, as if I'd just won the world cup or the lottery :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Zach! Even if you believe it still needs another go-round, that's quite the accomplishment. Allow me to spit-shine that halo.

ZachJPayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Thank you all! :)

I just got my feedback on said draft, as a part of the Nevada SCBWI Mentor Program. Basically, the first 150 pages were slow, and I need to redo the plot arc. And I have to rename my MC. Woohoo!

Back to the grindstone we go.

Anusia_S

The bravest of them all
Registered
Reaction score
Did you cry when you wrote "The End"? I think I cried a little bit when I first did that several years ago :)

Congratulations!

But why did they tell you to rename your MC?

Tim@ArmaVirum

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.armavirum.com
That's a nice dopamine hit. Little bigger than a standard e-mail. You ride a nice afternoon high on those two words. I recommend a bottle of wine or glass of Scotch to celebrate.

ZachJPayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Oh, I spent all weekend drinking with writers, Tim. Especially a few top-shelf names. :D

And yes, I cried a little bit.

My mentor suggested that I rename my MC because she's a conservative pastor's daughter, and the name I'd given her (Isabelle) wasn't Biblical, while the name I'd given her sister (Sarah) was. I'd already been feeling the discrepancy between their two names, and was planning on changing the sister's. My mentor (a pastor's daughter herself), suggested I give my MC a more fitting name, instead.

So Isabelle is now Rachel. And I'll probably keep typing Isabelle for the next three months.

Anusia_S

The bravest of them all
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I understand. That really is a valid reason, although as you said it will probably take some time before you get used to it.

VEHust

Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

Good for you.

Every ending is a reason to celebrate your writing, no matter if it's the first barely sketched draft or the final polished piece going out to the agents or publishers.

The pairing down process is killer but you'll get though it, hopefully with as few break downs as possible!

Rachel and Sarah are my sisters names so I think they sound perfect. I am the odd man out of the biblical club in our family though so it does happen.

So take some time to celebrate!:partyguy: You've accomplished a great deal.

SCUBABry

The day job is the my antagonist...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Congrats! I know how satisfying that can be. To see "The End" on the paper is a big boost.

Yesplease

Registered
Reaction score
What? "Maybe not that special"? It's totally special! Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.