PDA

View Full Version : I need a luxury hotel in San Francisco, pretty please!

Los Pollos Hermanos
09-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Back again for more brain-picking*!

(* = And that's not Mr Bad Guy's bad influence).

The scene:

It's November 2006 and a fancy party is in full swing at a POSH hotel in San Francisco. We're talking a "money is no object" megabucks party here, the kind of party you read about in the media and think "How much?!" as your meagre bank balance breaks out in a cold sweat.

I need the venue to have spectacular views of SF's nocturnal skyline, but that doesn't mean it has to be looking towards the city from the Bay. Ideally a central-ish location, but deeper into the edge of the city centre would work.

If anyone knows of such a hotel, please could you suggest it so I can do some googling and make up a fictitious version of the place? I did think about Alcatraz, but doubt they allow private parties (of the booze-up variety). Money wouldn't be an issue if they would allow it.

I spent five very enjoyable (albeit cold) days in SF back in summer 2011, but my budget is more "Travelodge near Presidio Park". ;)

Many thanks in anticipation,

LPH.

MaryMumsy
09-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Check out this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hopkins_Hotel

MM

Roxxsmom
09-30-2015, 10:38 AM
The St. Francis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westin_St._Francis) comes to mind. It goes back a long way (early 1900s), is located in Union Square, and is a pretty iconic SF hotel. It's run by Westin today, but it's considered very posh. Not sure if the view is what you have in mind, but it's quite luxurious (I've never stayed there, but I know of it).

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1010

M.N Thorne
09-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Actually, I would say The Fairmont Hotel and The Ritz-Carlton are great luxury hotels. However, Ritz-Carlton's food is a little more blah than The Fairmont's.:roll:

WeaselFire
09-30-2015, 06:37 PM
I was going to suggest the Fairmont, but the Francis Drake and the Westin St. Francis would do well too. The Clift and The Palace would be choices to look at.

You'll need to do some digging to see if they were at their peak in 1996, but those would be current choices for quite a few weddings or society balls.

Jeff

TellMeAStory
09-30-2015, 06:37 PM
The Mark Hopkins Hotel ought to do it for you. It's at the top of Nob Hill.

Siri Kirpal
09-30-2015, 09:57 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Dittoing the Mark Hopkins. Haven't been in it, but you can tell by looking at it's location that the view will be spectacular...if you had the bucks to go there.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Deb Kinnard
10-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Dittoing both the Fairmont and the Mark Hopkins. Both enjoy a very nice location and (I'm told) great amenities for the guest.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Many thanks for the suggestions! I'm currently investigating the Mark Hopkins as it has some sort of restaurant at the top with the amazing views required. Like I said, coughing up the fat stacks of Benjies (ha!) is not an issue for the host. The chapter will require a minor rewrite to make the hotel less generic in its details, but I'll spend today at work considering a new name for the place.

Some of the guests are English, so I'm sure "we" can also indulge ourselves with a little chuckle about it being in an area called Nob Hill. ;)

The Travelodge near Presidio Park was excellent for the money, btw. Very nice staff too. I also fulfilled a long-time ambition by driving south into the city over the Golden Gate Bridge - one of those moments when you realise you're actually on something that never fails to make you say "wow!" when you've seen it on TV. Did the Alcatraz and Angel Island experience, almost walked myself to death (those hills...) and would definitely go back one day.

Deb Kinnard
10-02-2015, 02:58 AM
IIRC the restaurant you mention was called "Top of the Mark." You might need to google to see if it's still called that. When I was last in SF, it was still called that, still posh and quite pricey.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-03-2015, 12:53 AM
Been google image-ing -- the views are spectacular from up there. I've now got my name for the fictitious version of the hotel, but am still chewing on the name for its restaurant/party room.

Many thanks, good people of AW.

:heart: