Food for Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It can, I think, sat quite a lot. The food a person eats, as well as the paces a person eats, and the wine or whiskey they drink, is often about personality. I love some of the ultra modern, experimental foods served at some of the ultra modern, experimental restaurants, but I hate the restaurants, the pretentiousness of it all, and the outrageous price half an ounce of foam can cost. I love the taste of some brands of extremely expensive single malt Scotch, but I know people who hate the taste, but who always have bottles on display.

On the other hand, I love Budweiser beer, but I know many in the beer community who refuse to drink any beer you can buy at Walmart, or at the local liquor store. It's small time craft beer, or it's nothing.

I live in fairly small town (Pop. 18,000), Midwest America, and we have a lot of steak and potatoes eaters here, people who would never in a hundred years try raw octopus, or sushi, and who would never dream of paying big money for a pile of foam.

Most of my protagonists are poor, which often means they eat whatever they can get to eat, even if it's crawdads and baked muskrat. I grew up poor, I've eaten both these things, and liked them, which may be why I'm willing to to almost anything now.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my current WIP, my character's favorite food says he likes processed pork/beef products with dairy and vegetable matter.

I've never given any thought to a person's favorite food revealing their personality. Menus are such a varied and complicated thing, it's impossible to divine such things.

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
My characters are perfect: They don't eat, drink, defecate, or have periods, and they only sleep when I need them to blackout.

Last edited:

Queen Yinin

Newbie writer in over her head...
Registered
Reaction score
What if a person doesn't have a favourite food? I don't. I have several meals I like or love, but I can't pick one meal above all others.

What does that say about me - or a character with similar tastes?

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
In my story, favorite food is crucial.

It's 1934, and my character tells that her favorite food is the pickled carrots her mama used to make. She realizes farm life--and marriage--is not for her when her prospective mother-in-law looks at her blankly and says, "I guess if you don't have a root cellar..."

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I live in fairly small town (Pop. 18,000), Midwest America, and we have a lot of steak and potatoes eaters here, people who would never in a hundred years try raw octopus, or sushi, and who would never dream of paying big money for a pile of foam.

This made me laugh because one week ago I paid something like $20 for roasted field mushrooms with herb foam.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Devin loves French food. Not so much haute cuisine as just French food. Classic French dishes. He's awfully nostalgic for never having actually lived there.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever read Chocolat by Joanne Harris? There is a theme of favourite food running in a few scenes.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My protagonists eat whatever I'm familiar with, or whatever I'm willing to try to give it relatability. That's the only way I can write in all the ever-so-important senses of sight, taste, smell, and texture.

Status
Not open for further replies.