Mentioning Former Client in Query

Mellanah

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I was reading a book the other day that has enough similarity to mine to use as a comp, and in the Acknowledgements, the author thanks her agent. Since the projects aren't so similar that they'd overlap, I thought this would be an excellent agent to query. The problem is that in doing more research, I discovered that this author left the agent to go Indie earlier this month. She gives the agent a very nice thank you after saying she just couldn't come to a contractual agreement with her former publisher, but I have no idea how amicable the split was.

Would it be bad to mention this author? I'm torn because I don't want to associate my book with possible bad feelings but the comp would otherwise be good.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
The fact that the author mentioned the agent positively suggests that there aren't bad feelings. Also, if the novel is a good comp for yours, then it might be something this agent would actually use in submitting your novel to editors.

I would probably go ahead and do it.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. We don't always know what the current relationship is between a writer and agent, so just assume a comp is a comp. If the agent repped that book, then it was obviously a book she liked and wanted to get behind. I would mention the book only and not the author. But I think the only time you don't comp a title is when the title did really poorly or had some sort of scandal around it. Likewise, I wouldn't name drop an author you know left on bad terms.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I would err on the side of caution though, I sent my ex-agent the nicest of letters. In public, about our history, I will be gracious and all that. But privately? I'm seething.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think comps are a good idea. They too often aren't comps at all, or if they are, they comp a book that didn't sell well, or they sound boastful.

Mellanah

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like just mentioning the book might be my best bet. Here's hoping it won't cause a problem!