Deli owner is too accommodating

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Here's my latest first-world problem....

So, my company moved to a new building a few weeks ago. I'm the kind of person who usually brings lunch or just runs down to the deli (which the new building has) and then eats at my desk while I work. The owner is also the cashier, and he was very friendly when I bought there the first two times. The third time, this conversation ensued:

Owner: "So, you can't eat solid foods?" (I was currently purchasing solid foods)
Me: "Um.... I, uh... sometimes I like fruit?"
Owner: "Oh. I just notice you never buy spicy."
Me: "Oh, really spicy foods cause me some reflux. I try to eat bland things."
Owner: "Okay. I just wondered why you always buy salad." (I've never bought salad there)
Me: "Okay... Bye, then."

So I avoided the deli for a week or so, but I was forced back today.

As soon as I walked in, he announced he'd made very bland chicken tenders and potato soup. He then left the register and took me down the line (it's cafeteria style) and explained the spiciness level of every option. Then, he engaged the rest of the line staff and kitchen staff in getting me samples of all of the different foods so I could try them. Meanwhile, it's 12:30 and there are people in line behind me (and still trying to check out at the register). One woman sighed very loudly, and it's not like I didn't agree with her.

I feel I've dug myself a hole, here. Yes, I've said I don't like spicy foods, and it's some superior customer service there that not only does he remember me out of a hundred customers he sees a day, but also wants to make sure I don't accidentally get something I won't like... but I feel like shaking him and yelling, "stop being so nice to me!" And I feel like, now that he's gone to this trouble, I can't actually order anything remotely spicy without looking like a flaky asshole, like I must keep up this facade of "non-spicy food eater" forever.

I just want to get in, get my food, and get out, anonymously. How do I fix this so there's not a whole dog and pony show every time I go to the deli?

(On the plus side, the potato soup—which wasn't on the line and sort of makes me paranoid that he had it back there just for me—is actually pretty tasty.)

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
How do I fix this so there's not a whole dog and pony show every time I go to the deli?

Ignore it all, limit contact to what you need, and buy and eat whatever you wish. If push comes to shove, push and shove. Speak up about getting the line moving and just pay for your food.

The owner seems a bit off and trying too hard. I'd just ignore whatever he's trying to do.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think he fancies you. That's an awful lot of trouble to go to and he's not doing it just for customer service.

brswain

Comma Splice Survivor
Registered
Reaction score
I think he fancies you. That's an awful lot of trouble to go to and he's not doing it just for customer service.

That was kind of my thought too.

It's lovely when people remember you, and what you want. It's less lovely when you want something different and they've showed up at your table with your usual hot coffee and it's 90 degrees out at 8:30 in the morning and you wanted iced coffee that day for a change.

heza

Registered
Reaction score

*scrunches up nose* That's the one thing I was hoping it wasn't. I'm so uncomfortable with gracefully deterring that. At least now, if it comes up, I can say I'm married.

brswain said:
It's lovely when people remember you, and what you want. It's less lovely when you want something different and they've showed up at your table with your usual hot coffee and it's 90 degrees out at 8:30 in the morning and you wanted iced coffee that day for a change.

I guess the one thing that saves me is that I'm such a wimp about spicy foods that things I think are spicy don't even register on other people's spicy radar, so he won't even know if I get something that I think has a little kick.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
You could drop a little hint like 'my husband would love that but I'm not so keen'.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was gonna ask if you is hot, cos that's an icky amount of special customer service by any measure.

Is I hot... mmm... no, I'd have to say not. I used to be, but I'm nearing forty and overweight now. He's younger. It's difficult to imagine this is flirting. Maybe I remind him of his sainted mother...

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Is I hot... mmm... no, I'd have to say not. I used to be, but I'm nearing forty and overweight now. He's younger. It's difficult to imagine this is flirting. Maybe I remind him of his sainted mother...

Also nearing forty and over weight. Doesn't preclude being hot, I tell myself.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to get in, get my food, and get out, anonymously. How do I fix this so there's not a whole dog and pony show every time I go to the deli?

Disguise yourself: Wear a mask. Wear a wig. Wear dark glasses and a baseball cap. Stuff some padding underneath your blouse so you look heavier, and wear elevator shoes so you look taller.

Also: Talk in a fake accent. I suggest a British accent (just say "bloody hell" in every sentence, and you'll pass).

Or you can greet the deli owner by saying "Top o' the mornin' to ya, laddie!" He'll think you're Irish.

:Thumbs:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
As soon as I walked in, he announced he'd made very bland chicken tenders and potato soup. He then left the register and took me down the line (it's cafeteria style) and explained the spiciness level of every option. Then, he engaged the rest of the line staff and kitchen staff in getting me samples of all of the different foods so I could try them. Meanwhile, it's 12:30 and there are people in line behind me (and still trying to check out at the register). One woman sighed very loudly, and it's not like I didn't agree with her.

"Thanks so much for explaining all of this! But I'm on a short lunch break, and I'm sure all the people behind me are too, so I'll just take the ___ now."

And then the next time, run in and say something similar - "I'm on deadline! I'll just have ____" and he'll get the picture. This would work best if there's a daily menu posted so you could see what the soup du jour is, or refresh your memory so you don't have to stand in line and look at the menu.

Good customer service is nice, but I don't like the overbearing parts.

I was recently at a flea-market type store where individuals had little displays of handcrafted items. I was walking up and down the aisles with a friend, and we occasionally parted, and one of the clerks would follow us around giving us "tips" but I really think she was making sure we weren't stealing stuff. At one point I almost turned to her and said, "Look, I'm going to buy these things, but if you keep pestering me I'm just going to leave." Instead I just took my time and wandered as much as I wanted, ignoring her. But grrrrr.

Last edited:

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, one more disguise: A plastic big nose and glasses. You can buy it in a joke shop. I recommend the one with the Groucho Marx mustache.