How did people introduce themselves during the italian renaissance.

Writer MMS

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think they shook hands....did everybody just bow?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The handshake as a form of greeting predates the Italian Renaissance. Some think the custom began in ancient Greece as a gripping of forearms, eventually developing into clasped hands with a slight shake in medieval Britain.

In any case, so much depends on the situation and the characters involved. A male/male greeting is going to be different than a female/female greeting, or a female/male greeting. If your characters are of different status in their society (a tradesman greeting a noblewoman, for example), that's going to make a difference as well.

I found this interesting blog post, which is largely about 15th-16th century Britain but contains a quote from the Dutch theologian to an Italian colleague referencing the British custom of kissing as a greeting.

Last edited:

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea, but I'm interested to hear the answer

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Renaissance greetings depended more on class distinction and gender than anything else. A bow/curtsy/genuflect would be one option, as would the symbolic pack on the cheek. Kissing the hand, either of a maiden or of a royal, or kissing a ring, such as a Pope or King, would be a common choice. Some greetings could be simple nods, others full-blown displays. Raised palms would be more common in travelers meeting on a highway, a symbol of peace and lack of malice (the open palm originated as a show that the person was unarmed).

Hand shaking as actually pretty uncommon as a greeting but prevalent as a sign of a deal or a contract. Those entering a contract would quite literally "shake on it." Strangely, while kissing a cheek or hand was common, there were some strange customs concerning the touching of hand to hand. Some believe that the custom of shaking hands was considered unsanitary, but I'd lean more to it not being a prelude to conversation but an end to it.

Two suggestions for research:

1) Renaissance fairs. Attend one or more, and at least get some of the guides published for behavior. Many of these are quite accurate.

2) Find a copy of The Art of the Courtier, it's an old Italian guide to etiquette from the time period you're looking at. There are others as well, though it was the French courts that really started the whole etiquette trend.

Jeff

Writer MMS

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. My book is set in the time and area of Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Machiavelli etc. so any details about the atmosphere and culture of that time and place (speciafically Italy) is greatly appreciated.

From what I can gather kissing rings and a kiss on the cheek seems like the best options for me.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I were in the Italian Renaissance, I would hope that people would greet me with cannolis.

If you were in Sicily during Carnivale, they likely would. :)

But you'd have to leave the gun to take the cannoli. (Best ad-libbed line in a movie, hands down!)

Jeff