PDA

View Full Version : Mars Mystery Monday = Poetry Edition

William Haskins
09-27-2015, 12:00 AM
'Mars mystery solved': Nasa prompts speculation with promise of major announcement

Nasa is making big promises for Monday, saying it will reveal the answer to a major mystery about Mars.

The US space agency said it would be announcing "a major science finding" regarding the Red Planet at 11:30am EDT (4.30pm in the UK) on the 28 September, to be broadcast live on its website.

There is much speculation that the mystery to be addressed is the phenomena known as 'recurring slope lineae', the dark tendrils observed on the planet surface during warm seasons, which it is speculated is evidence of water.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mars-mystery-solved-nasa-prompts-speculation-with-promise-of-major-announcement-a6668031.html

William Haskins
09-27-2015, 12:05 AM
woops. wrong forum. or not.

poetry and space have been linked here recently.

mods, might you move this over to P&CE and help a brother out?

thanks.

M.S. Wiggins
09-27-2015, 12:56 AM
I went with two 'checks': water (#1 and foremost), then life (apprehensively second). Where there is water, there is usually 'life' of some kind. They are the least complicated of relationships.

zarada
09-27-2015, 02:00 AM
hm, i thought the premise of water on Mars has already graduated to scientific fact, or did that happen in one of the other parallel worlds i frequent... i'll go for the 'face' bit, just to play it safe.

Kylabelle
09-27-2015, 02:12 AM
I like it that Mars is in Poetry. That seems like a major astrological transit that portends fabulous things, either for Mars or for Poetry.

NASA seems to have gotten into this media PR game lately, of dangling "big announcement will reveal something big" and then the actual thing of it is fairly poofta. (I remember one recently but the content of it was so boring my mind deleted it as worthless.)

What game is NASA playing? is my question. I am not sure I am ready to believe what they reveal anyway. Does NASA always tell the truth to its adoring public?

Why do I care about Mars? ONLY because NASA is so busy about it. Otherwise, Mars can just float along and do its Mars thing and I won't bother about it much.

Chrissy
09-27-2015, 03:45 AM
It's Matt Damon. Duh.

Dennis E. Taylor
09-27-2015, 03:50 AM
I don't think it'll be life, because I don't think they'd phrase it that way. That would be a "discovery", not an "answer."

'recurring slope lineae' sounds a lot more like something you'd have an "answer" for.

Stew21
09-28-2015, 04:44 PM
how about we copy the thread over and let it stand in both places? It would be interesting to see the differences in the discussion. :)

Stew21
09-28-2015, 04:47 PM
done. now the P&CE crowd has their topic and we have ours.

works for me.

does that work for you, William?

Priene
09-28-2015, 04:55 PM
They've found Poetry on Mars. It's all free verse in the Northern Hemisphere and meter and rhyme in the south. The Valles Marineris is the unbreachable gulf between them.

William Haskins
09-28-2015, 05:10 PM

works for me.

sure. thank you.

robeiae
09-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Having duplicate threads is going to increase server load and intensify the rate of CO2 forcing on the climate...

Kylabelle
09-28-2015, 05:47 PM
They've found Poetry on Mars. It's all free verse in the Northern Hemisphere and meter and rhyme in the south. The Valles Marineris is the unbreachable gulf between them.

There are as yet hidden pockets of prose poetry which will have a salutarious effect on

Having duplicate threads is going to increase server load and intensify the rate of CO2 forcing on the climate...

^problems such as that one.

In fact, prose poetry will be discovered to be a major medicinal influence for many ailments both personal and planetary.

NASA, however, will not know of this until it has been discovered by a rogue astronaut exile from the space program of an earlier era, who has been eking out an existence -- who knows how? -- in a hidden cavern.

Kylabelle
09-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Water on Mars.
Fire on Venus.
It remains to be seen
if Earth has air.
We would need
the planet pristine,
unoccupied, clean,
in order to know what's really
there.

Haggis
09-28-2015, 08:27 PM

works for me.

Some day I'll read a thread all the way to the end. Hang on, I'm moving it back again. :D

Xelebes
09-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Old, cold-hearted Mars
lean towards your wife, Venus,
and show all your tears.

Kylabelle
09-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Some day I'll read a thread all the way to the end. Hang on, I'm moving it back again. :D

No wonder I feel queasy today. Wish you guys would make this thing hold still for a while.

c.e.lawson
09-28-2015, 09:05 PM
They shouldn't have bothered.
It was only water.

(my minimalist poetry contribution)

Kylabelle
09-28-2015, 09:43 PM
They shouldn't have bothered.
It was only water.

(my minimalist poetry contribution)

Nice!

zarada
09-29-2015, 02:28 AM
they've known about this since, um, like 1971 and the Orbiter? or was it 1975 and the Lander.

and they finally tell us today! yippee, lucky us, what a grrreat surprise!

Xelebes
09-29-2015, 02:41 AM
they've known about this since, um, like 1971 and the Orbiter? or was it 1975 and the Lander.

and they finally tell us today! yippee, lucky us, what a grrreat surprise!

They knew there was water on Mars. The new piece of information is that they evidence that water is currently flowing on Mars by means of brines in the soil.

zarada
09-29-2015, 02:55 AM
They knew there was water on Mars. The new piece of information is that they evidence that water is currently flowing on Mars by means of brines in the soil.

uhum. 1.) they knew there was water, 2.) they've seen the tracks in the sands that looked like water flowing (i hope they saw those, i know i did, even in the very poor [by comparison] resolution pics that were released).

oh, what could those tracks in the sands that looked like flowing water could have been? oh dear, not flowing water, for real?

anyhoo... funny they picked today to release this phenomenal information, with all else that's going on, huh?

Stew21
09-29-2015, 05:37 PM
Old, cold-hearted Mars
lean towards your wife, Venus,
and show all your tears.

FTW

Kylabelle
09-29-2015, 05:44 PM
uhum. 1.) they knew there was water, 2.) they've seen the tracks in the sands that looked like water flowing (i hope they saw those, i know i did, even in the very poor [by comparison] resolution pics that were released).

oh, what could those tracks in the sands that looked like flowing water could have been? oh dear, not flowing water, for real?

anyhoo... funny they picked today to release this phenomenal information, with all else that's going on, huh?

Yeah, see, I keep pointing in that direction too, like, why come NASA is suddenly glomming media stardom like this?

At least it's another opportunity for poems to emerge. There's always that.

Samsonet
09-29-2015, 11:51 PM

They showed us a face and everyone laughed.
It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
But the last laugh is saved for them
when we learn there really is
Life on Mars.

;)