Boehner to resign from office.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
Boehner NYTimes link.

From the article:
Speaker John Boehner will resign from Congress and give up his House seat at the end of October, according to aides in his office. Mr. Boehner was under extreme pressure from the right wing of his conference over whether or not to defund Planned Parenthood in a bill to keep the government open.

My first thought was: did he get caught with an intern or something? But I guess he is officially sick of their shit, and is taking his orange ball home.

compositions

Banned
Reaction score
I think this bodes well for Democrats and the election next year. I'm sure the House will swing even farther right.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Adios, Agent Orange

Boehner must want to go work on his tan. :Sun:

Fuck this shit. I just wanna go hit a bucket of ball, smoke a few cancer sticks and drink my scotch in peace. Beats workin'.

Bye-bye to the Boner. The Worst Speaker of the House in my lifetime. A hemorrhoid on the nation's asshole, John Boehner was as useless as a Trojan with a hole on top.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
His family must be delighted. Whatever my opinion of what's fallen out of his face, lo these many years, I have to imagine that it was a miserable job to have.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I spoke with a political economist two weeks ago who said, "Boehner is out, just watch." And sure enough, here he is. Not because he's sick of any shit or because we're moving a better direction, but because he wasn't socially conservative enough. They'll replace him with a tea-party/looney bird nutjob.

So, yeah, while we can mock Boehner, I have a feeling that we're going to get far worse as his replacement.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
This will definitely be unfortunate to those of us who want to curb federal spending. Whatever you might say about Boehner, he was successful in that arena. Federal spending dropped each year since the Repubs took over control of the House in 2011. The budget deficit is much smaller now, since that time. (I remember something like 60 or 70 percent smaller).

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I spoke with a political economist two weeks ago who said, "Boehner is out, just watch." And sure enough, here he is. Not because he's sick of any shit or because we're moving a better direction, but because he wasn't socially conservative enough. They'll replace him with a tea-party/looney bird nutjob.

So, yeah, while we can mock Boehner, I have a feeling that we're going to get far worse as his replacement.

That's what I thought when I first heard this.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Mm. Mixed feelings.

He's the devil we know, you see. And he could actually be reasonable when he wasn't having to cater to the Teaclowns.

I'm worried about whoever comes in behind him.

On the other hand... A friend of mine floated the theory that the Pope's visit was the last straw for him. That it moved him, and he got to take a good look at himself without the echo chamber around him. That he didn't like what he saw, and it was the deciding factor in retiring NOW, versus a few months later, like he planned.

Well.

We'll see how October goes, now.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Mm. Mixed feelings.

He's the devil we know, you see. And he could actually be reasonable when he wasn't having to cater to the Teaclowns.

I'm worried about whoever comes in behind him.

On the other hand... A friend of mine floated the theory that the Pope's visit was the last straw for him. That it moved him, and he got to take a good look at himself without the echo chamber around him. That he didn't like what he saw, and it was the deciding factor in retiring NOW, versus a few months later, like he planned.

Well.

We'll see how October goes, now.

I don't agree with your friend. Boehner's been trying to get a pope to come for 20 years. I think he was just waiting until after this visit to resign. And yes, he could be reasonable with the Dems, which is why some in the further right want him gone. So beware who is coming next.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...use_a_government_shutdown_over_defunding.html

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i had no idea you were so young. google jim wright and dennis hastert, whippersnapper.

No need to, Pops. I remember the reign of error of Jaunty Jim Wright and Dapper Denny Hastert (recalling my Mighty Marvel Bullpen days), and Nimble Nancy Pelosi was no prize either, but Joltin' Johnny Boehner brought his own special sort of suckiness to the job.

Just 14 percent of Americans approve of the way Congress is doing its job, according to a new Gallup survey released Wednesday, and they do not seem all that enamored with Republican leaders in the House and Senate, either.

That is the lowest share of congressional approval seen by Gallup this year, though it is not the lowest in history — a paltry 9 percent said they approved of Congress’ job performance in the days after the government shut down in October 2013.

A majority of 54 percent expressed dissatisfaction with the job performance of John Boehner (R-Ohio), who is currently serving his third term as speaker of the House. Just 23 percent view him favorably, his lowest number since becoming speaker in 2011, though he had a similar share of 27 percent approval in March, according to Gallup’s results.

I wouldn't carve out a new Mt. Everest of Leadership for Boehner, McConnell, Pelosi and Reid, but really, WHAT are we losing by this fucktard bailing and running for the exit?

A government shutdown? Had one with the Boner in charge. Endless Benghazi investigations? Still got those with the Boner in charge. Refused to raise the debt ceiling? That was the Boner again. Voting 50 FUCKING TIMES to defund Obamacare? All on the Boner's watch. Disrespected by and unable to control the Tea Party Crazies in his caucus? That's gotta be the Boner.

In my lifetime, there have been ten Speakers of the House. I liked some, respected a few and loathed the rest. Without question or qualification, despite the disparaging nickname, John Boehner was hands down the absolute worst, most ineffectual, limpest dick to wield the gavel. Nancy Pelosi had been bigger balls than Agent Orange.

"During the — during my years here when I voted, I have the eighth most conservative voting record in the Congress. And it does pain me to be described as spineless or a squish. And I tell you what pains me the most is when they describe me as the establishment. Now, I'm the most anti-establishment speaker we've ever had. You know, who was the guy who got rid of earmarks? Me. Who's the guy that believes in regular order? Me. Who believes in allowing more members to participate in the process from both sides of the aisle? Me."

Who's a whiny-ass little bitch? You, John Boner Boehner. You were a squish. A spineless little slimy worm.

Don't tell me who's coming after him will probably be worse. Look at the flotsam and jetsam in the House Republican leadership and tell me something I don't know. Tell me if Boehner's replacement will be as impotent as he was?

I despise gutless, cheap political hacks like Boehner who will wear his permanent stink of failure like a cheap dollar store cologne.

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
This will definitely be unfortunate to those of us who want to curb federal spending. Whatever you might say about Boehner, he was successful in that arena. Federal spending dropped each year since the Repubs took over control of the House in 2011. The budget deficit is much smaller now, since that time. (I remember something like 60 or 70 percent smaller).
If you are not an austerity fan, not so much.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As Nighttimer said, Boehner was a horrible Speaker by just about any standard, and I really didn't think it would be possible to beat his predecessor, Dennis Hastert, on that score.

Now, however, we seem poised to get a far-right red-meat social conservative elected to the post, somebody who will satisfy that vocally dominant portion of the Republican Party faithful, in the same way every one of the myriad Presidential candidates is desperate to do. Government shutdown is only one of a pile of stuff that will inflict upon us.

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
today's news prominently features stories on how conservative evangelical Christians are rejoicing at Boehner's resignation, and threatening to punish any of the GOP Presidential candidates who "defy" them. Predictably, every GOP Presidential candidate is desperate to get in the front of the queue to genuflect before these self-declared omnipotencies. This election has rapidly deteriorated into a matter of social issues like gay marriage and abortion rights, everything else be damned. Anyone who still doubts that there are hugely important, well-financed forces abroad in this nation who want a Christian right theocracy as government needs to wake up.

caw

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the dick-pics to surface. Not with enthusiasm, mind you.

Last edited:

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
So this guy meets with the Pope, and then says "Screw this, I quit!". Does this mean we can officially say it took an act of God to get Boehner out of office?

I'll see myself out.