Haaj Stampede near Mecca

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/saudi-arabia-says-450-dead-700-injured-hajj-stampede-mina-n432756

More than 700 people died and at least 800 were injured in a stampede at the Hajj pilgrimage outside the holy city of Mecca on Thursday, Saudi Arabian officials said.
It was the deadliest incident to hit the annual Hajj in years and the second this season, coming less than two weeks after 107 worshipers were killed when strong winds toppled a crane at Mecca's Grand Mosque.

Events such as this aren't uncommon during the Hajj, given the sheer numbers of people who make the pilgrimage, but it's been especially awful this year, it seems. I've read elsewhere that there's a building boom going on in the area that's possibly contributing to the heightened level of accidents, but now I can't find it.

Hoping there are no more incidents :(

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
There is a massive amount of construction in Mecca and it is infuriating millions of Muslims because of the expectation to make it to Hajj and all the treasures that are esteemed and cherished by millions of Muslims are being bulldozed for this construction. It is like they are building their version of St. Peter's Basilica with all the accoutrements that followed it.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Iranian press (for what it's worth) is predicting numbers of deaths worse than the 1990 disaster at around 1 500. The ayatollahs have openly condemned the Saud family's handling of Hajj, including laying the blame on Prince Salman's convoy for closing an exit.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/09/iran-slams-saudi-arabia-hajj-stampede-150924140959859.html

http://presstv.ir/Detail/2015/09/24/430513/Saudi-Arabia-stampede

http://presstv.ir/Detail/2015/09/24/430582/Saudi-stampede-hajj-prince-Salman

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the important thing is that they get there. I don't think it matters necessarily if all the pieces make it there together.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful with the humor. One of my husband's coworkers went on Hajj this year. And we haven't heard from him...

No, actually I won't.

We've had this discussion over and over again and over in this forum. Some people hate dark humor. Makes them sick. I get it. For others, it's the way they deal with sick shit they hear about. That's how I cope.

If the forum mods and/or AW admins want to make dark humor verboten, that's their call. Perhaps they need to make that call. Or make it clear one way or the other. But in the meantime, I'll continue to use it. But don't you dare think I have no compassion for the people who have been harmed, or may have been harmed. That's not what dark humor is about at all.

Cramp

Pain in the writing wrist
Registered
Reaction score
But don't you dare think I have no compassion for the people who have been harmed, or may have been harmed.

But it sure does read like a absence of compassion, reading those words on a screen. Especially when it's followed up by snappily disregarding a request from someone closer to the tragedy to be mindful of the audience.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hope your husband's coworker is safe, Ninja.

Overcrowding disasters are not unique to religious events (google "Hillsborough 1989" or "Estadio Mateo Flores 1996"). Mecca does have particular challenges, such as the sheer numbers who come for the Hajj and the diverse nationalities (and so problems with communication) involved. However, the scale and frequency of overcrowding disasters indicates that something is seriously wrong with crowd control at Mecca. I wouldn't trust the Saudi royal family to organize a ping-pong match, but unfortunately they are in charge of the largest annual religious pilgrimage in the world.

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
But it sure does read like a absence of compassion, reading those words on a screen. Especially when it's followed up by snappily disregarding a request from someone closer to the tragedy to be mindful of the audience.

There's always someone personally involved and always someone ready to say "That's not funny."

ETA: To elaborate - back after the 2011 tsunami that hit Japan (and many other places), there were naturally Godzilla jokes rife on the Internet. And naturally, people screaming THAT'S NOT FUNNY HOW DARE YOU!

Would I make a Godzilla joke directly to someone who lost a family member in the tsunami? No, probably not. But it's not reasonable to insist that no one on the Internet make jokes after a tragedy because someone might be personally affected.

Last edited:

Cramp

Pain in the writing wrist
Registered
Reaction score
Would I make a Godzilla joke directly to someone who lost a family member in the tsunami? No, probably not. But it's not reasonable to insist that no one on the Internet make jokes after a tragedy because someone might be personally affected.

I wouldn't insist that no one on the internet makes jokes about tragedy. I wouldn't insist that someone doesn't make these jokes if they really are a means to cope with a world that often needs to be coped with. I would say that there are probably better places to make such jokes if one needs to - where you can control, or at least be aware of, who is in the audience and their experiences. And I would also say that the appropriate reaction when someone closer to the tragedy politely asks that people should be more careful of the jokes they make in a public forum isn't to say "I am well aware people can find this very upsetting but I do what I want."

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I would say that there are probably better places to make such jokes if one needs to - where you can control, or at least be aware of, who is in the audience and their experiences.

I.e., nowhere on the Internet?

And I would also say that the appropriate reaction when someone closer to the tragedy politely asks that people should be more careful of the jokes they make in a public forum isn't to say "I am well aware people can find this very upsetting but I do what I want."

We'll just have to disagree.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
And I would also say that the appropriate reaction when someone closer to the tragedy politely asks that people should be more careful of the jokes they make in a public forum isn't to say "I am well aware people can find this very upsetting but I do what I want."

There is no appropriate reaction. Well, other than pursuing harm to others. People digest pain differently. Black humour is one of those ways.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but I personally was not in the mood for that particular humor while I was waiting to HEAR from somebody.

He called this morning and is fine.

So, NOW I won't be upset by jokes :p.

I'm happy for your husband's coworker's friends and family. I grieve for those who lost loved ones. Having lost a family member in a tragedy, I actually do get it.

You do understand I was mocking the Saudi's for blaming the victims and not the victims themselves, right?