Advice with UK companies?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the right place, in my red-fog-rage I can't seem to find an appropriate place to ask this, so if I'm wrong please do move it.

I moved from the UK to Sweden in Feb with my husband and I'm being pursued by several companies for "unpaid bills", even though before I left I called everyone and asked if I had any outstanding payments and then cancelled my direct debits.

I've had trouble from Portsmouth Water, but it turns out that bill was sent out in error as it was under £10 or something stupid, and they had no trouble contacting me at my Swedish address.

Then there was trouble from Plusnet. When I moved flats within the UK, six months before the move to Sweden, some idiot put me on a new 18-month contract when all I asked was for my new line to be activated. They also had no trouble sending me letters here.

Then there was trouble from Southern water who have been the real -----. Southern Water have taken it upon themselves to harass my elderly grandparents. I have no idea how they got their address seeing as I never lived there nor did I use it, or give it out, for anything. I've emailed the CAB and there is a Trading Standards investigation ongoing. I initiated this after the first credit company harassed my grandparents with almost daily letters. I also wasn't informed my information was being passed onto creditors, which I believe to be illegal but I can't get a straight answer for that. I told the creditors I have moved to Sweden, forgetting to include my husband, thinking it would be obvious we moved together. They emailed me back, didn't apologise and said they'd returned the account to Southern.

Today, my grandparents received a new letter from a new credit company working for Southern and I foresee more harassment in their future. Cheekily, southern have removed my name from the bill and only included my husband's name. I've emailed the new credit company telling them that we both moved to Sweden, told them of the previous complaints, told them to stop harassing my grandparents and to contact me at the correct address that I gave to Southern.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with companies and creditors like this? I'm hoping this new credit company will return the account like the company before did, but surely Southern will just keep giving the account to different creditors, meaning endless hassle for my grandparents? My grandparents are so frightened they're going to get bailiffs at their home, even though I've reassured them there has to be a court order but they're living in fear and that is making me irate. It seems to me they've decided to take the utter ---- because I've moved countries and they think they can get away with it. I'm at a loss with what to do.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have no great words of wisdom but you have my sympathies and wish you luck with Southern. I know contractors that won't bid for any of their work, they are that bad at every level.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is much more you can do whilst there is a TS investigation going on. Maybe contact that Anne Robinson programme?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help you guys. I had no idea money saving expert did stuff like this, hopefully they can give me some solid advice.

From this I've learned to never, ever move countries again. There's been so much needless hassle it's unreal.