PDA

View Full Version : Both eyes bandaged / ophthalmology question

PanhandlePlains
09-23-2015, 12:35 AM
My character was in a car wreck and needs to be in the hospital with both eyes bandaged. I want him to fear he's going to be blind, but then recover. I've been doing some research and am finding that yes, serious ocular trauma often occurs in car wrecks, but I'm having trouble pinpointing specifically what type of injury would require the eyes to be bandaged for at least 24 hours. Any ideas, insights, or experience with this?

Myrealana
09-23-2015, 12:55 AM
Abrasions or burns on the cornea could be severe enough to require the eyes to remain covered. When my mom cut her cornea with a fingernail while inserting a contact lens, she had to wear an eye patch for a week.

Crayonz
09-23-2015, 01:15 AM
Detached retinas can cause permanent vision damage if not treated and recovery usually involves wearing an eye patch (or two, in your character's case).

King Neptune
09-23-2015, 02:37 AM
I think it depends on how long you want the eyes bandaged. For detached retinas they would be covered, and the person kept lying down for many days or weeks. Corneal damage would usually recover more quickly, but it would depend on how large the damage was.

PanhandlePlains
09-23-2015, 02:47 AM
Thanks everyone for weighing in!

The thing about retinal damage is that as you say, Neptune, he'd have to be lying down AND lying face-down (at least that's how I understand it) and I don't want that. So maybe the corneal damage, but the problem there is that I'm finding articles saying they no longer bandage the eyes for corneal abrasions in most cases ...

I need his eyes to be bandaged from 24 hours up to several days (there's some flexibility there).

cmhbob
09-23-2015, 03:11 AM
Maybe you've got an old-school ophthalmologist or ER doc who hasn't read/doesn't believe the research. You could even have an intern question him about it.

King Neptune
09-23-2015, 03:50 AM
Thanks everyone for weighing in!

The thing about retinal damage is that as you say, Neptune, he'd have to be lying down AND lying face-down (at least that's how I understand it) and I don't want that. So maybe the corneal damage, but the problem there is that I'm finding articles saying they no longer bandage the eyes for corneal abrasions in most cases ...

I need his eyes to be bandaged from 24 hours up to several days (there's some flexibility there).

Yea, for mere corneal abrasion they wouldn't bandage very much, but for a serious cut through there probably would be bandages for a day, at least. I haven't had that, but I didn't have cataract operations, and my eyes were not bandaged. but the incision was a fraction of an inch long; a cut across the cornea would be a different matter. The time would be variable, but corneas heal relatively quickly.

I am not certain about detached retinas, but it was my understanding that the head would be put into a position that would allow the retina to lie as it was supposed to, which usually would mean lying to one's back with the head turned in some suitable way. But that was before spot welding with lasers; I am sure that it is different now.

WeaselFire
09-23-2015, 06:40 AM
Burn his eyelids (and face/scalp to make it believable). The eyes are bandaged, the character could believe his sight is damaged, the bandages would come off in a day or two to at least check the wounds, clean them, etc.

Jeff

PanhandlePlains
09-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Ooh, something like that might work ...

Pony.
09-23-2015, 06:26 PM
One constant in all major car wrecks is broken glass. Glass in the eyes would do it. Way back in my days of youth an immortality I drove a tow truck for a body shop with contracts for a couple police departments. I cleared one wreck where I laid down to hook a chain to a car and got battery acid in my hair, which wound up getting in my eyes.... holy crap that shit burns. Depending on what your character is driving when he wrecks the battery could be in a spot to get battery acid on him. the MG midget has the battery right on the firewall in front of the driver. If not secured well, I imagine the battery could be thrown about in a wreck.

PanhandlePlains
09-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Now that sounds REALLY painful!

CWatts
09-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Burn his eyelids (and face/scalp to make it believable). The eyes are bandaged, the character could believe his sight is damaged, the bandages would come off in a day or two to at least check the wounds, clean them, etc.

Jeff

That sounds like something that could occur with airbag burns - also, there's the Takada recall issue where the airbag could spew metal fragments. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

At the heart of the problem is the airbag’s inflator, a metal cartridge loaded with propellant wafers, which in some cases has ignited with explosive force. If the inflator housing ruptures in a crash, metal shards from the airbag can be sprayed throughout the passenger cabin—a potentially disastrous outcome from a supposedly life-saving device.

PanhandlePlains
09-24-2015, 03:28 AM
Great ideas--thank you all so much! Now to decide which type of burn ... battery acid, fire, airbag ...

King Neptune
09-24-2015, 04:00 AM
Great ideas--thank you all so much! Now to decide which type of burn ... battery acid, fire, airbag ...

Or it could just be flakes of glass.