• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Browsable online "species tree of life"

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Online 'Open Tree of Life' Traces Origins of 2.3 Million Species

NBC News said:
The combined efforts of thousands of scientists worldwide have produced the most complete "tree of life" yet, showing the evolutionary heritage of 2.3 million species from amoebas to aardvarks -- and it's free for everyone to browse online.

Such trees are common in the field of biology, with branches showing how and when one species or class differentiated relative to others over the course of history. But most such trees are limited to a handful of creatures, like dogs or the ancestors of modern humans. This one starts from the very top, where the most fundamental differences in life on earth are reflected, and goes down to the very bottom, where even experts may have trouble telling two species apart.

"This is the first real attempt to connect the dots and put it all together," said Duke University's Karen Cranston, who led the effort, in a news release. "Think of it as Version 1.0."

Despite combining information from over 500 smaller trees, the Open Tree of Life is by no means complete, for several reasons. For one thing, only a fraction of the tens of millions of species estimated to exist are described in online research they could build into the database, making them suitable for inclusion. And even a "complete" tree would soon be made obsolete as researchers debate and revise relationships between organisms.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I looked at it a little, but I think that there is too much information lumped together for it to be especially useful. Pieces of it would be more digestible.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at it a little, but I think that there is too much information lumped together for it to be especially useful. Pieces of it would be more digestible.

It cries out for a better UI! Someone who knows a little D3 and Javascript...

You can search for a species (or genus, family, etc) and it will focus on that segment of the tree. But I'd say it's not for casual browsing, no.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, cool. You can click on nodes and zoom in that way, although there's a distinct lack of resolution in some major taxa. .

Yes! It wasn't immediately obvious to me that you could click on nodes.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I just had a wander through a group I know extremely well and they've represented it with an outdated and inaccurate tree. But I don't think the most recent analysis has been published, so they're stuck with that old info. That's one of the weaknesses, as acknowledged.