PDA

View Full Version : Good Things that happen

MaryMumsy
09-21-2015, 08:52 PM
We've had a number of whining/complaining threads, and I think I remember a good news thread, but I couldn't find it.

I had a blast from the past phone call on Saturday. Hadn't heard from her in at least five years, and honestly was afraid she had passed on. My 95 (pushing 96) year old cousin. She is actually my grandmother's first cousin, so that makes her my first cousin twice removed. We had a great hour and 45 minute conversation. She still lives in her own house, but can't drive any more because of eyesight. And sounds sharp as a tack.

She said she had been thinking of me for several days, and just decided to call. I told her she was thinking of me because I had been thinking of her. And that was true. I'd been thinking of trying to find her phone number.

I've marked it on my calendar to call her every six weeks or so.

MM

Siri Kirpal
09-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Cool! Yes, let's share the good news as well as the bad.

We got to see an incredibly good high energy production of Guys and Dolls a week ago Sunday. And the night before that we got half-off price tickets and saw Secret Love in Peach Blossom Land, a contemporary play popular in China and Taiwan, but having its American professional premier with this production; a funny and moving two theater troupes collide--one a traditional comedy with Chinese opera elements and the other a modern tragedy of a couple separated by the Revolution who meet again when the man is dying in hospital room. Well worth seeing if you get a chance.

Then this past weekend we attended a Sikh wedding in Canada...and had no problems crossing the border either direction. Sikh weddings are a trip, very colorful. The couple walks their four vows, and when they complete those, the congregation showers them with flower petals, deep pink rose petals on this occasion.

And you know something, it's always good to breathe deep and be grateful for life.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maryn
09-22-2015, 12:56 AM
We saw "Spamalot" last night, which was fun all by itself, but we also ran into a former colleague of Mr. Maryn's on one of those rare occasions when I looked really nice. More often we have such meet-ups when we're at Home Depot mid-project, bickering over having run out of paint or screws and who can't count, and of course, there's his friend from work.

randi.lee
09-22-2015, 04:36 PM
I'm going to be interviewed on the news Thursday! :D

Siri Kirpal
09-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Cool, Randi! What about?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

WriterDude
09-29-2015, 11:49 PM
There are lots of nice things that I barely notice most of the time, but in my new quest to start a healthy lifestyle I have started to reconnect with how beautiful my city is. At lunch time I took a walk in the park. A lush green Victorian monument to civic pride, communal good health, not to mention a neoclassical folly that I happened to get married at. I wrote for a while and took in the scenery. The leafy city below, the coastal town where I live and love. The muddy blue waters of the bay stretching out toward the high peaks of the western peninsula, somewhat faded by the haze in September sun. Much of this went in to my scene, and I wrote until a wasp chased me away. Bastard thing. On the way back to the office I was followed by a little grey squirrel.

Can't count the number of lunch hours I lost to the Internet when all of this was just outside.

After work I walked instead of drove the mile or so to pick up the little one. A walk that took me along a tow path and canal side pub, an echoey bridge beneath the railway, past a play park, allotments, green fields and an orchard.

All of these things I miss when I drive, and I feel so much better for it too.

I often find I need to remind myself how good things can be when everything else teeters.

zarada
09-30-2015, 02:14 AM
it rained last week. a lot. while most of my tomato plants wilted away, i got to pick buckets and buckets of green tomatoes. this evening we had plenty of sauteed green tomatoes over brown rice. tomorrow i'm making fried green tomatoes and cheese polenta, and will probably still have enough left for canning at least seven or eight jars -- yumness for winter suppers. it was a good thing.

Lavern08
10-01-2015, 02:07 AM
A precious young family returned to Church after a 3-year absence - And - I won 2 (different) slogan writing competitions yesterday - Does that count?

Gregg Bell
10-04-2015, 04:35 AM
The Cubs eventually have to stop playing.