Real US Schools vs. TV Tropes

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm working on a novel that takes place mostly in a US school in a small town where everyone knows everyone (population: 2000 max.) I haven't fully worked out the location yet, but my MC has to tackle a bullying problem in his school in which he is the victim. The main problem is that I live and have studied in the UK, so all I have to go by is common TV Tropes from various US shows.

My question is how accurate are these tropes?

If you guys could share some life experiences with me that would be fantastic. I want the story to be based on something real as opposed to the common tropes you find. A few things that would be helpful:

Was your school divided? for example: Nerds and Jocks
What kind of bullying occurred? Any notable pranks that were particularly over-the-top? Was it mostly physical or emotional?
Lastly, what kind of teacher response/punishment was there? I understand a lot of schools have a zero-tolerance policy on bullying, but how well was this enforced?

Any and all experiences would be appreciated, whether you're a teacher or a student.

Thank you

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I will not be very helpful, I'm afraid.

I went to a US public school, town population between 10 and 15k and class size ~200. It was very tame. There were social groups and cliques, but not so much wars / rivalries / mocking what have you, more that people gravitated toward people who shared their interests. I hung with the nerds and the theatre kids and my own social group was kind of eclectic oddballs, but I would smile and say hi to the sports kids and they to me.

I am about as nerdy as it is possible to get (in terms of interests, not necessarily social awkwardness), and I spent most of high school vocally answering every question and having the opposite of a fashion sense and wearing mostly pajamas or hand-me-downs to school, and I was never bullied. In fact, I always felt reasonably well-liked in high school, though part of that also may have been that I had a devil-may-care attitude toward authority, which I know my peers appreciated. But I never saw any of my nerd friends bullied either, and trust me, I would have gone all protective bear-parent if I had.

I'm not saying it was all sunshine and roses for everyone, and there were people I know felt bad social ostracization (and I personally felt unhappiness about not fitting in at times), but it was pretty low key and I'm not sure you could ever have a large social environment entirely lacking in those things. In any case, no throwing kids in dumpsters or dumping drinks on them or anything remotely like you see on television.

An interesting thing though -- I was taking all honors and AP classes, and I thought I knew almost everyone in my class because I always knew all the people in my classes. But when graduation came, I found out I only knew about 1/3 of the people in my class. Everyone else I'd just never intersected with, or maybe I had during gym or lunch but had assumed they were in another year since I never saw them in my classes. So that was startling, and may reveal a good bit of ignorance on my part!

I wouldn't claim my high school experience is representative, especially as my school was pretty highly ranked as public schools go, but there you have it.

eta: I suspect you won't find any blanket "US schools are this way." There's a lot of variation. :)

BeronikaKeres

what
Registered
Reaction score
I went to a pretty bad high school, we had a full time cop and security guard, so I don't know how accurate my experience will be compared to others. School was divided a lot more than just jocks and nerds. They're were "3 levels" of the kids in the school. The jocks, rich popular girls, kids whose parents were teachers, the drama kids (basically anyone who was in a "cool" club) made up the first level. The street kids, drug users, dealers, gang bangers, and just your average joe made up the second level. The third was made up of the so called nerds or super awkward kids. The "nerds" weren't like the video game nerds really that basically a lot of people are like nowadays. The nerds at my school were super socially awkward and would play dungeons and dragons or board games in the middle of hallway, and a lot of them usually had some sort of psychiatric problem (this isn't me just being mean, a lot of them had diagnosed aspergers or autism. I know cause they were teased about it). They were picked on because some never showered, and were very unkempt and didn't know how to interact with the rest of the kids.

They never usually physically harmed them (except for one week of the school year where they went out of their way to), so mostly they just taunted them in class or at lunch time. The one week they did was called "freshy day". The 11th and 12th graders from the first level would "kidnap" the "weird" new kids in freshman year from the school grounds, tie them down in their flat-bed trucks, mess with them before taking them through the car-wash, then they would drop them back off at school. It got so bad over the years. After one kid managed to get loose and jump from the truck, he shattered his whole leg and had to go to the hospital. Eventually they had like six or so cops around the first week to stop the hazing. I don't remember a lot of physical bullying between the 1st and 3rd level, usually it was just emotional or throwing their books on the ground or embarrassing them in front of the class.

Bullying between the 1st and 2nd was pretty bad. There were a ton of fights (I stopped one of my bullies from harassing me by throwing him against the lockers and threatening him), mocking, beatings. They really didn't harass the third level as much as the second because they didn't fight back like we did. There was also a lot of drama and fighting between different groups in the second group. As for punishment, it was only ever given if they were caught (which usually they weren't). Usually suspensions for fights, a stern shake of the head or being sent to the office for basically anything else. We had a zero policy for bullying, but there was so much of it that I think the teachers just gave up.

Edit: Sometimes kids were arrested too, but I'm not sure if it counts as bullying as much as general crazy. One kid was arrested because he tried to stab a few of the popular girls. I don't know what happened, if they were bullying him or what not, but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Also, it was a public school, just over a thousand students.

Hope this helped some.

Last edited:

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously being Australian I can't help with first hand experience, but from a research perspective, I've found school websites - more particularly their facebook pages and student group pages - are great for day to day activities that happen in real schools.

BeronikaKeres

what
Registered
Reaction score
I've found school websites - more particularly their facebook pages and student group pages - are great for day to day activities that happen in real schools.

This is true to an extent, but they won't post about any bad stuff happening in the school.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience in US school systems, almost any version of the school system which serves your story is going to mimic the reality of some schools.

There are horrible schools as portrayed on The Wire. There are schools where the smart kids are at the top of the social hierarchy, whether they're nerds or socially able, and jocks are not automatically cool. There are schools where there are groupings of voice-and-theatre kids (with a smattering of writers and poets), jocks (usually only the guys), popular cheerleaders, and nerds. There are schools where the social groups are fluid and all inclusive. There are schools where the kids' religious social activities figure into their at-school social groups--Catholic, Evangelical, or Jewish kids are buddies at school even though it crosses the lines of existing social groups. There are stoners, hipsters, goths, skaters, and other sub groups.

There are schools where the teachers watch for bullying and tolerate none of it. There are schools where teachers turn a blind eye if they happen to see it and do, at most, lip service to anti-bullying efforts.

So you can safely use whatever your story's reality needs.

Maryn, who chose this town based entirely on its schools

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The causes of bullying aren't limited to school issues, they're very basic emotional and psychological causes. Someone just has to be different enough and, often, threatening enough that others take on the task of bullying them to make themselves (the bully) feel more superior or important.

The major difference between the TV tropes and real life is that none of the girls look like movie stars or centerfolds and none of the guys have faces that would survive a closeup.

Jeff

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, the good news is you can probably make whatever scenario you're inclined to write work just fine. There's huge variety to be had in public schools and their social webs.

In my daughter's school (slightly larger community than you're saying, but still relatively small) the biggest divides seem to be along achievement lines. If a student has high achievement, academically or in sports or the performing arts, bullying and interpersonal conflict issues seem to be small, event-specific, teapot tempests - although, in that paradigm, quite painful, as you can remember.

In the lower tiers of achievement, the groups seem more fragmented along ethnic and economic lines, and since, overall, you might expect higher stress levels in these groups, you'll find the general, or more nebulously caused bullying for rank. So that would include rich, slacker, a-holes and poorer, without-much-guidance a-holes, all trying to make sure they're as close to the top of their respective piles as they can bully their way up to.

The teachers and staff do seem to try to help, with the expected variance in success.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I grew up in a Colorado town with a population just under 2000, though this was in the 1980s.

The school was very divided into cliques - jocks were at the top of the social structure--basketball and baseball in our school. Our football team was terrible. Smart kids were dismissed or bullied, though not a lot of the former. There was a lot of ignoring and laughing, playing pranks at your expense, but not a lot of outright physical bullying. When everyone knows where you live, you have to be careful who you pick on. Grandma will hear about it and bring it up at church on Sunday, and then you're in for it.

It was also smack in the middle of agriculture country, so there were the requisite number of rednecks with pickup trucks, barns to party in, if you were cool enough to be invited, and general country pranks, like abandoning some kid in the middle of a corn field; cow tipping (Which isn't really a thing, it's a way to get gullible non-farm kids up to their knees in cow shit); skinny dipping (generally a way to get some gullible boy to strip and jump in a freezing cold lake while the girls drive off with his clothes), etc.

Everyone knew you, your parents, your siblings, and probably your grandparents, aunts and uncles. I once ran a stop sign right in front of a cop. He didn't pull me over, just called my dad to tell him how I was driving.

There wasn't a lot to do. The nearest movie theater was 30 minutes away and even today the town doesn't even have a Starbucks. Many kids worked on their parent's farm, or worked part time jobs in manual labor fields. I worked as a car hop at the A&W - whee! The town had one grocery with about 3-4 aisles of food, one bakery, once nice restaurant, one A&W for fast food, and a bowling alley.

The big differences between the schools on the TV and real life is that no one is that good looking, and the people who play high school students on TV are generally in their 20s-30s. Other than that, I can pick out bits of my school in just about every high school show or movie. The events are dialed to 11 to look good on screen, but in one way or another, I can see the seed of reality in them.

Last edited:

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I think some of your details are going to vary based on when your novel is set. For instance, as I was in high school 20+ years ago, I can honestly say that bullying has changed a lot in that time.

Your home used to be a sanctuary from the bully. Once you left school grounds, or the bus or wherever the bully held domain, and got in your front door, you had the safety of TV, books, parents, what have you. Nowadays with the internet and smartphones, the only safe sanctuary is your own mind. The character will need to be strong, because a modern bully will seek them out in all mediums to pound them verbally. Older bullies relied on fists and intimidation, usually with a pack. Modern bullies have internet mobs behind them, so the psychological factor is greater.

My knowledge of modern bullies comes from talking to my neighborhood kids and kids of my friends, since I'm still partner and offspring free.

As for your question about separation, Yes, all schools have their cliques. Some schools are more clear cut with their social divides than others. You'll also have what I've heard called a "bridge," which is a person who can hang with multiple cliques and sometimes even manages to keep the war at bay by playing peace keeper. That person may or may not be bullied, but other cliques will stand up for the bridge.

Um, okay, so let me go burn my soapbox now. :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I graduated high school in 1970 and lived in San Diego, so what I'll say may or may not be relevant. My high school and junior high (the forerunner of the modern middle school) were both racially integrated, but most cliques formed around racial and ethnic lines...except that the Asians hung out with the whites. Cliques also formed around interests and academic levels.

The worst case of bullying I know about was told by my brothers: a coach in junior high used to paddle all the boys bottoms when they were dressing after a shower. My father considered calling him on the carpet, but was too afraid of repercussions to my brothers to act. AFAIK, no one else did anything about that jerk either.

Another odd one: I was in the middle of a mild riot once when I started singing at the request of some other girls during the lunch break. (We took our lunches outside, this being San Diego.) A group formed and some of the toughs (mostly Italians) decided there must be a fight going on to attract that much attention...and joined in the fray. The teacher on duty grabbed the two worst (or nearest) offenders and hauled them off.

Otherwise: catcalls and snide remarks and the occasional sadistic "joke" were about it.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
This is true to an extent, but they won't post about any bad stuff happening in the school.
You'd be surprised what school kids share in open groups on Facebook. But I kind of assumed the OP wasn't only wanting 'bad stuff' but more an all-round view of what goes on in US schools.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)
(snip)
A group formed and some of the toughs (mostly Italians) decided there must be a fight going on to attract that much attention...and joined in the fray.
(snip)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Oh, this should be in a story! Played for laughs as they fight their way into the center of the commotion, and instead of a fight, find...a girl, who has stopped singing because of the fight they started.

Arisuzawa

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to echo what others have mention: how schools and children handle bullying varies drastically depending on where you set the school, but also time (current? Ten/twenty/etc years ago?) as well as what type of bullying. Depending on the area, that last part could be because of status (financial is a big one), religious, ethnic, plus 'normal' ones you often see on TV (jock vs nerd, wtvr).

I grew up moving around, A Lot, but attended most of my schooling in Indiana before being homeschooled for my high school years.

Adversary

Banned
Reaction score
I'm from Canada, but aside from a higher level of patriotism, maybe religion in certain states, its pretty much the same.

There have been good TV shows on high school life. They're rare, but they are out there. I'm far enough removed age-wise, and i haven't watched TV in a decade, so i'm not the guy to ask which ones. You might do better with movies. There have to be some good realistic movies on high school life. I'd put more stock there as movies seem to take a bit more care in the details... but again, for me, its been a while, maybe TV has improved some?

I deal with quite a few high school kids, and i'm actually pretty surprised how much it has changed in the couple decades its been since i was there. Doesn't seem to be all jocks vs skaters vs metalheads vs rednecks vs art-class kids vs nerds anymore. And yeah, it bloody was like that back then. It was great. Hahahaha (damn i had fun in high school...).

As for bullying? That is sadly universal. Kids are (can be) complete fucking bastards anywhere you go. Maybe, in America a kid is more likely to respond to that bullying by bringing a gun to class (or the smoke pit after school) here than in England, and really, only because we have them. Sadly, I know a lot about bullying... from both ends of the fist.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I deal with quite a few high school kids, and i'm actually pretty surprised how much it has changed in the couple decades its been since i was there. Doesn't seem to be all jocks vs skaters vs metalheads vs rednecks vs art-class kids vs nerds anymore. And yeah, it bloody was like that back then. It was great. Hahahaha (damn i had fun in high school...).
It doesn't look like it from the outside, which is, I think, why teachers and administrators can be so blind to it. My father was a teacher in my high school, and he always thought the students got along well and there were very few social boundaries. He didn't see what I KNEW from the inside. He wasn't privy to their jokes and sniggers at those of us lower on the totem pole.

Part of it is simply adult perspective. The things that were the end of the world when I was 15, I can now see as what they are: minor inconveniences that will pass. Part of it is that kids do behave differently when they know an adult is watching. Part of it is obliviousness. Adults have their own problems, and sometimes they just don't notice what's going on under their noses.

But, I do think schools today are just as divided. Some schools it's money, some it's race, some it's athletic ability, but teens seem to be built to group together in tribes and create some kind of hierarchy that works for them, and I think it's worse in smaller schools. In the larger schools, like my sons attend (2300+ students), there are enough kids of each clique to make a community of their own where the stratification isn't as pronounced. In the smaller schools, where there might be 2-3 genuine computer nerds out of 300 kids, the divide is more obvious.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I teach in rural high schools, western USA. My school is in a town of 700 and the town I live in now is 1,200. One thing to remember is that rural kids come on school buses--mostly grade schoolers but sometimes whole families of kids take the bus. Since the buses pick up from very small towns and farms, with five to ten miles of dead space in between, the kids spend a lot of time on the buses. A lot of bullying happens on the buses. And the bus groups seem to form cliques and personalities. For example there are four small towns near our school that do not have schools of their own, Belpre, Lewis, Truesdale and Radium. (If you want to see the towns google them.) Each town has a different mindset. One town sends us honor students, another supplies the gangstas. The make up of the towns' economics has something to do with the kids outlook on life--small farmer as opposed to transplanted family from southern California trying to make a go in a new, smaller place.

Sometimes the bus takes almost 40 minutes to pick up everyone and get them to school. The bus ride is not policed except by the driver and sometimes there are arguments, drama, feuds. A lot of the problems in school start on the bus ride to school. Sometimes an adult will ride along if things get bad enough. Oh, and there are cameras on the buses. Sometimes they even work!

One thing that will blow your mind about a town of the size you are creating is the family connections. Everyone is related somehow. Kids routinely go through their family tree, reciting uncles, aunts and cousins down to third cousins and steps. In the front entrance of the school there are big hanging photos of every graduating class, since 1928 in our case, sometimes even earlier. There are also championship track, baseball, football, basketball team photos. Kids and teachers can go through the pictures and point out grandparents, uncles and aunts. In my own school, in a much bigger town, i could find my grandmother's graduation picture, my great-great uncle in a band photo from 1917.

If someone bullies a third cousin it is a concern to the entire family--school kid feuds usually become family affairs. If the family is feuding within itself--divorces, snubs, bankruptcies-- it can affect the whole school. Oh, and remember, in a school your size, ten is a good sized high school elective class. The teachers are sometimes related to the students. The teacher's kids are in the same school system-- all one building, from kindergarten to senior high school in one building, one superintendent, one lunch room, one gymnasium, one tornado shelter.

Many teachers, especially, PE, Art, Music teachers, teach high school, grade school and middle school classes. When we do have a tornado warning or bad weather, the bigger kids are very good about helping the little kids, who have to come running from the other end of the building. The older kids always worry about younger relatives, their friend's sibs, the neighbor kids, when things get scary and the little ones cry. We often see a big kid coming into the shelter with a younger kid in his/her arms. It is not supposed to be done but it happens. We come together when things threaten from outside.

Be sure to include family feuds. One of our extended Hispanic families is descended from 9 brothers who came here to work on farms some twenty five years ago. There is some kind of crazy feud that they brought with them from Mexico that still colors things today. The family feuds extend even to teachers. Without mentioning names, two of our staff are still cool to each other over a land sale from the mid sixties that involved their parents and grandparents. Nuckin' Futz and very frustrating to those of us who grew up in saner, larger towns.

There is an Italian writer, Giovanni Guareschi, who wrote about rural towns and their people. He said that something about living on a treeless plain with the sun constantly beating down on their heads makes small town people go in for useless arguing. I can't remember the exact quote but I swear that small towns are prone to silly feuds.

And crazy religious fervor. There are lots and lots of different churches and the folks who belong to them don't just attend them, they LIVE them. breathe them, talk them up and then they change churches like they change socks. A lot of the bullying I have observed has had religion at the root, like the Catholic kid and the Evangelical kid who had the whole eighth grade class divided over evolution. Finally came to a fist fight--over one church teaching evolution and the other denying it.

Another thing you might not expect--high school kids in small towns drive and own cars, pickup trucks, vans. Here in Kansas our 8th graders take driver's education. A learner's permit is routinely issued between 13 & 14. A farm permit lets someone even younger drive on family land. (Last summer, my sister took my 12 year old grand daughter out to learn to drive in one of our fields. No cars, no trees, just alfalfa and a creek. Of course the kid posted a video of herself driving a car. When her father, in downtown Miami, saw the video he had a viral heart attack!) His mother, who grew up in Crapsey, Illinois, told him he was over reacting.

As soon as a kid can drive legally he/she gets some kind of vehicle and hauls sibs, friends, grandparents, neighbors, around, because it is 30-40 miles to a pharmacy, doctor, WalMart etc. Our school parking lot is full everyday. Kids routinely drive to another town for errands, sports practice, or a job after school. Parents have to work so kids drive, not always a safe solution because kids take chances. Our Spanish speaking kids often must translate for doctors' appts, legal stuff. One fifteen year old was driving her family all the way to the big city of Wichita for immigration help, during the dead of winter, over icy roads. Nobody got killed, they made it to legal status and she managed to stay on the honor roll, although she had to give up basketball.

There are lots of crashes. The kids talk about close calls all the time. Not because of traffic--there is not a single stop light in my town, less than ten stop signs. Kids often play soccer on Main street in my school town. No, the danger comes from rollovers on sand roads. I have lost 6 students over the years in traffic accidents. Only one was a highway crash--the others were rollovers on sand or gravel. One was a fifteen year old driving his two girl cousins to town to get hamburger buns for a family reunion. He let his thirteen year old cousin drive. Being thirteen, she lost control. The family never recovered.

Oh, and consider guns. These kids hunt every season: deer, pheasant, quail, pigeon, coyotes, more or less illegally. They hunt weekends, before and after school. Every family has at least one gun in the house and most houses are arsenals. Students and staff aren't supposed to have them in their cars but it happens. When a kid or teacher parks two blocks away it means that there is a gun in the car and they can't park close to school. Some kids are scarily knowledgeable about guns. Again, they take stupid chances.

Hispanics are our minority and there is a big divide between the kids who just came here and those who have been here long enough to assimilate. Racial tension is usually between "Mexican" and white (even kids who have been born here are called Mexican) and that is further divided by okay Mexicans and gangsta Mexicans.

Okay
Mexicans cheerlead and play sports. Gangsta Mexicans are really kids from families who have come here from southern California in the last five years, to find a more affordable, less gangy lifetsyle. They are about as Mexican or Gangster as Bertie Wooster but they don't mind playing to the stereotype by dressing and walking like real LA gangsters. One kid used to draw his own tattoos all over his arms and neck. Had the hard assed shop teacher crapping in his pants until the tattoos melted on a hot, wet day.

The kids newly arrived from Mexico are at the bottom of the social ladder. Even the Spanish speaking kids resent having to translate for them. If the kid is a cousin or a relative it is even worse.

White is divided into "From Here" and "Not From Here" and further by who the parents and grand parents are. Yes, sad fact, but even school discipline is administered along family lines in a small school. --s6

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Just FYI, there's a major difference between British and American "public" and "private" schools, at least in my understanding. They're basically opposites. In the UK, a "public" school is what we would call "private": an exclusive, high-quality school that you have to pay to get into. An American "public" school is the opposite: the free, government-run school that's generally not high-quality. I think our years/grades are slightly different from the UK's, too.

I got pretty lucky with schools. I attended a great junior high (7th & 8th grades) in a relatively small city, in the 1990s. It was the only junior high in town, which tells you how small the city was. There were no cops, no metal detectors, no guns. The worst that ever happened to me was being threatened by a group of delinquent girls who were in the bathroom lighting hairspray on fire. Another girl and I walked in on them, they threatened to "burn" us if we told. Bell rang, we went back to class. I told the teacher, who sent me (discreetly) to the principle to report on the matter, but unfortunately, in all the fuss, I forgot the name of my friend who had witnessed it with me, and so it was my word alone against theirs, so the principle wasn't able to do anything about it.

I wouldn't say I was bullied, but I was teased and made fun of every day. I'm of Irish/Scottish decent, plus I have a blood disorder that causes extreme sensitivity to the sun, so I'm extremely fair-skinned, and have curly, dark red (auburn) hair. As a result, I got called, "Ghost" and "Whitey" a lot, along with, "Albino" and "Ronald McDonald's wife" and "Sloppy Joes" . . . Never really understood that last one, except maybe in reference to the color? Same color as my hair, sort of? I dunno. It mostly didn't bother me, and I was actually friends with one of the guys who teased me the most. I was also teased because I was a bookworm and spent most of my free time with my nose in a book, instead of giggling with the other girls about who the hottest guy in class was.

I didn't attend high school, I was home-schooled, due to health issues. The high school had a strict "no-absences" policy, so even if you had a doctor's note for medical leave, if you missed more than a handful of days each year, they would flunk you. I was (legitimately) sick all the time, so there was no way I would've graduated. We opted for home-schooling instead, but I quit partway through and got my GED. (Just as well, since we later found out that the home-school company was notorious for claiming you hadn't turned in your work, forcing you to take entire subjects over again, which meant paying for an extra year of schooling.)

My sister, on the other hand, grew up in a much larger city. My parents adopted her when I was 20, so she's from a different generation. Her schools had metal detectors and resident cops. She's a different race than I am, too, and she has some physical and mental disabilities, so she was bullied extensively throughout elementary and high school. Mostly kids threatening her, or taking her lunch money--or her lunch, if she'd brought food from home. She's such a sweet, kind girl, they wouldn't even need to threaten her, they could just ask for her lunch and she would give it to them, "so they wouldn't be hungry." When she was threatened or attacked at school, she wouldn't tell anyone, because she didn't want to get the other kids in trouble. Someone stabbed her with a pencil and she didn't even tell the teacher! Some pretty awful stuff happened to her at that school, both from kids and from teachers. One teacher even hit her, "accidentally." Spanking at school is still legal in our state, if they have written permission from the parents, and apparently the teacher was trying to spank this other kid. My sister intervened, trying to protect the other student, and so the teacher hit her instead. Eventually, she was granted a "safety transfer" to a different school, in the suburbs, but she was already traumatized by what happened to her at that school. (Apparently some other, much worse, things happened to her, too, but she doesn't talk about it, so I have no idea what actually happened.)

Hope this helps.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The U.S. is a big country and there are regional differences. Pin down a location a bit and ask again. While some things are universal, others likely vary by region. For instance, do have any idea how insanely IMPORTANT High School Football is in parts of Texas? And how it's seen as a joke in other areas?

Adversary

Banned
Reaction score
The U.S. is a big country and there are regional differences. Pin down a location a bit and ask again. While some things are universal, others likely vary by region. For instance, do have any idea how insanely IMPORTANT High School Football is in parts of Texas? And how it's seen as a joke in other areas?

I'm not even sure you could describe that to satisfaction to someone who wasn't part of it. In my school, sports were important, not the end-all, but a pretty big deal. That would be basketball, volleyball, track to a lesser degree. Some soccer, some rugby. NO ONE played football. We had a team, but I'd wager real money a big time Texas team of grade NINES would have creamed our seniors. Our school's weight room was a single universal machine that was already 20 years old when i got there, plus some welded barbells up to 80lbs. I've seen pictures of American middle school weight rooms (in football meccas) with ten Olympic platforms, each worth an easy 10-12K, plus enough other stuff to equip a small Gold's Gym. Its not a sport down there, it is literally religion. Our CFL team weight rooms dont compare to some you'll find in high schools down there...

Magnanimoe

Registered
Reaction score
You need to understand that "small-town" America has changed radically in the last few decades. For a few generations, rural American towns typically had significant agriculture and maybe one or two local manufacturers who provided the economic fuel to sustain the town with a middle class lifestyle. Today, those manufacturing jobs are largely gone, and the agriculture is mostly industrial farming. What's happened to those small towns depends largely on their proximity to larger cities.

Here's an example. I live 15 minutes NE of a good-sized Midwestern city with a city population of 188,000. The metro population, however, is over a million. I teach 15 minutes SW of the city. That small town used to be all farms, and extremely conservative. The student population at the high school was 500. Because of its proximity to the larger city, that town became a "bedroom" community of middle-class to upper middle-class. The farms are largely gone, replaced by suburbs--youngish families with kids whose parents commute to the city for work. The student population of the high school is now nearly 1,200. We've kept pace by building a new high school, a new middle school, 3 elementary schools, and refurbishing all old buildings. Now we're looking at building a second high school. And the politics have shifted. In 1995 we made national news when a gay teacher was outed and harassed until he was fired, and the school board held a meeting in which they officially condemned homosexuality. Today we have a Gay-straight alliance group and at least one transgender student and no one bats an eye.

30 minutes farther east of where I live is a town too far away from the larger city where my wife has been a school social worker for nine years. All the manufacturers have left. Poverty is extreme. Social problems are staggering. She comes home from work and tells me one horror story after another. Meth use, sexual abuse, domestic violence, mental health issues are rampant. The rate of Autism Spectrum Disorder is higher than it is elsewhere. The economy seems mostly focused on lower-end retail (dollar stores, mini-marts) and I get the impression the same few dollars are just shuffled around. But at least this town still exists. Many other small towns in my state (once one of the industrial juggernaut states) have lost so much population they've had to close schools and consolidate them with others just to survive.

My point is, if you're going to set your story in small-town America, there's no one-size fits all demographic, but proximity to a larger city seems to have a big impact on the culture you'll find there.

afarnam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ariefarnam.com
Was your school divided? for example: Nerds and Jocks
What kind of bullying occurred? Any notable pranks that were particularly over-the-top? Was it mostly physical or emotional?
Lastly, what kind of teacher response/punishment was there? I understand a lot of schools have a zero-tolerance policy on bullying, but how well was this enforced?

Thank you

I have some experience that might be helpful in this, but to be fair my experiences were in the 1980s and 1990s. It is possible that teacher reactions MIGHT be a bit better today but not necessarily.

I started out in a town of 2,000, going to a small school where everyone knew each other. I was different from other kids both culturally and physically and this resulted in intense exclusion. We didn't call it "bullying" then because most of it was not done with fists. I did get beat up by boys maybe two or three times that I remember. But I don't remember a lot of it. I blanked out a lot of things. Mostly it was a matter of exclusion and extreme isolation. I wasn't just chosen last for sports teams. The teams argued over who would be forced to take me, if the teachers insisted that everyone had to play in P.E. I was never allowed to play with kids during recess. I was always alone, sitting under the trees or playing on the play equipment by myself as a younger kid. At lunch I had to sit alone even though all the other tables were crowded. I sat near a cement wall that had some holes in it. Fifteen years after I had left that school, a friend was visiting there as an adult and overheard kids teasing each other about touching the "Arie holes" that supposedly had germs on them on that wall. I was apparently so bad that I became a legend to kids generations down the road. I had friends before starting school and outside of school and when we started we discovered that anyone who associated with me at school would be harassed as well, so my friends and I made agreements to pretend we didn't know each other in school in order to protect them. It was that extreme. Some of my friends couldn't handle the pressure and told me they weren't my friends anymore and joined those who harassed me. One of them apologized as an adult and cried because she was also very lonely in reality, even though she had pretend friends, and she realized that we could have had so much fun as kids, if she had been strong enough to stand up to the social pressure.

I know that there are many different kinds of bullying and it depends on what you need for your story. Some kids deal with just a particular group of kids who are into power trips. Boys get that a lot. Some groups of boys want to show that they can make another boy subservient to them. Girls deal more with cliques and exclusion. Often it is run by one or two who are very interested in being the ones to decide who gets to be included and who doesn't. There is a big sense of power in that apparently. Many of the other girls don't like the fact that one of their friends has been excluded but there is a clear threat that if you speak up or don't shun the person who is to be shunned, you will be excluded as well. As an adult, I have met a number of other people who were bullied or excluded and those who were bystanders or unwilling accomplices. The most extreme form of bullying is that of total social isolation, and it usually happens when a kid is somehow markedly different from others. Often a different race or culture, often a disability but sometimes it's just a matter of a kid who is an introvert and has different interests and too strong a will to mold themselves to the majority. But most often kids are extremely isolated only for things that are involuntary (like race or disability). I have never actually met someone who hung on to their own interests and style through extreme isolation as a young child without being forced to be outside for some involuntary reason. Yes, part of the reason I was so ostracized was my attitude. When I was harassed I often didn't take it quietly. Adults used to tell me that if I would just be silent and not react at all that it might get better. But my sense of personal dignity wouldn't allow me to be a silent victim. I often talked back or screamed back. Not really advisable but it wasn't the root cause.

Mainly I was physically different. The most terrible differences in terms of social ostracism are differences in a child's eyes and differences in their speech. There is something very primal in our reaction to people with different eyes or speech. A child in a wheelchair will rarely be as excluded as a child with slightly different eyes. I have a vision impairment that causes my eyes to move erratically and I have very thick glasses. This was the primary issue. It was compounded by the fact that my family was very low income and we often wore homemade clothes. My older brother and I were also rebels by temperament. Even when I knew I shouldn't, I would speak up in class. I would ask the teacher's "why?" in history class and that annoyed them to the extreme. I remember once when I was in seventh grade, I had a particularly bad science teacher (yes, he gets to be a villain in one of my stories... Bruhuhaha!) who was lecturing the class on why Greenpeace is evil because they were doing a protest where they physically blocked the US military from training dolphins to blow up enemy ships by carrying bombs under the ships (obviously killing the dolphins when they did it for real). I asked something like, "Why should the dolphins have to do the humans' dirty work?" The teacher lectured me on how a human life is more important and if they had divers do it it would be extremely dangerous. I said, "If they are so concerned about human life, what are they doing blowing up ships anyway?" I was ridiculed by the rest of the class for this, but I always remembered it because for once I actually came up with an eloquent response in the moment (rather than later thinking of all the things I could have said but being frozen wit fear in the moment). Anyway, this was after years and years of extreme social exclusion. You would think that I would have learned not to have opinions and not to stand out by then, but somehow I missed that lesson. So, I think in the most extreme cases, it is a combination.

As for teacher response, this was before the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) was passed and schools weren't entirely forced to take kids with disabilities. My vision impairment counted, apparently, and the teachers and principal (and the district superintendent apparently) were vehemently against my attending school. My mother wanted to homeschool me (and did briefly) but she had to work for sheer survival and couldn't do it long term. So, there was little choice, but that was also part of what made it extreme. The teachers were no help at all. Whenever a situation became noisy or there was an actual physical fight, I was punished. My parents tried to discuss the problems with the school many times and the teachers and principal simply said it was my fault because I argued with the kids and wouldn't just ignore harassment. When I was older I transferred to a different school. It required traveling 4 hours on a bus each day but it was better. I still had few friends but it was a slightly bigger school and there were more kids who were somewhat outsiders. The attacks were also less physical. I still had a lot of difficulties and was often lonely or frustrated, but I was able to focus on schoolwork more and my grades went from being Cs to being straight As. I got through high school by mostly keeping my head down, doing the work and hanging out with the kids who were disabled or otherwise outcast (in most cases because they were very poor, some to the point of being malnourished).

To give some perspective, there were also some exceptions to all this. When I was a senior in high school there was a boy who stood up to it all and invited me to the prom. He was a fairly popular kid and I can't really imagine the balls it must have taken to do it, but he was simply spectacularly awesome. There was also a school librarian who disagreed with the general take of the teachers and she would let me hide in the library when things got really bad and she was always kind and refused to let kids harass anyone when they came to listen to stories. When a special guest came to the school who was a professional storyteller and author, the librarian set it up for me to have a private lunch with him. That one event may well have changed my whole life because from that time (in fifth grade) on, I had a positive role model.

So, I am not sure how helpful this really is to the story. I think that such things CAN still happen in the US today. I don't think TV has it right very often because the bullying on TV is almost all physical and that is the least of one's worries usually. From the kids I know today, I hear a lot of religion problems. In areas that are very fundamentalist Christian kids and even teachers will often harass kids who aren't openly Christian or even who don't attend the "correct" church. I've heard some pretty extreme stories about that, but it usually isn't complete social isolation. There are usually some teachers and some other students who don't agree with it, so if the individual is strong willed, they can weather it all right.

I hope it is at least of some help. Good luck with the story.

Arie

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check out this game called Life is Strange. It takes place in a boarding school in a small town, and I think it's a really great way of getting a feel of high school life in the US. Like others have mentioned, different schools will have different cultures, so my suggestion would be to immerse yourself in as many different school environments as possible, whether through games like LiS or reading more books that are set in schools.

NMEvans

Registered
Reaction score
Both of my daughters have attended small schools, one in a town with a total population of 900, and one around 4000. In the smaller school especially, bullying was rampant. My younger daughter even received a death threat that the school attempted to hide from me. We changed schools not long after that. My daughter ended up making an anti-bullying video with the help of her friends and teachers that may be useful to you. Good luck with your story!

http://youtu.be/GrcrOxPFIbA