Bradawl - BrE only, or also AmE ??

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back again!

This is a bradawl:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradawl

Does it have a different name in American English, or is it still called a bradawl?

I can cope with fries/chips/crisps, etc - but this one is on a whole different level!

Thanks in anticipation,

LPH.

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
Don't know about American English, but we Brits call it a 'bradawl.' It's basically a metal spike, used in woodworking to make a small pilot hole for a screw, or drill bit. It can often be shortened to 'awl.' I think 'awl' might suffice in American English. certainly, shoemakers refer to the tool as an 'awl.' There's a 19th century American folk song called 'Peg and Awl' all about shoemakers.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
This is my quandry.

My crime trilogy is set in England and America (I needed hot weather, big open spaces and ravines, none of which we do do well in England!), and there's also a small section in central Europe. I always write in BrE with regard to spellings, but in the American sections of the books I'll write things like "He drove out of the parking lot" in the narrative, whereas I'd say "car park" in the English sections. I've also had to really swot up on AmE-BrE differences for speech.

Therefore I'd use bradawl in the narrative, but if an American character says "bradawl" I don't want to imagine the surrounding characters saying stuff like "Stop speaking like a goddamn Limey!" ;) At present she says "One of these" and holds up the offending article.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
As an American who lives in US, I've always seen it (or something similar to it?) called an Awl. I never knew it has another name, though! Good to know. :)

Last edited:

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like it's an awl! In the UK an awl is slightly different, hence my question.

Many thanks!

p.s. I've been doing that much language research I recently forgot what we call a "crash barrier" and used "guardrail" instead. Got some funny looks - haha!

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like it's an awl! In the UK an awl is slightly different, hence my question.

Many thanks!

p.s. I've been doing that much language research I recently forgot what we call a "crash barrier" and used "guardrail" instead. Got some funny looks - haha!

LOL! Never hurts to ask/check, right? It's one of those amusing quirks when dealing with international content and language, hehe. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(A recent drive through Ohio had signs about missing "guide rails"--WTF? I drive by sight, not guiding myself along rails!)

Mr. Maryn is a woodworker and he doesn't know the term bradawl. He says it looks like an awl, a scratch awl, or a punch, depending on what purpose it serves and how its tip is shaped.

Maryn

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...

What would Mr Maryn call the one in the photo on the Wikipedia link?

:e2cat:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Canadian usage chiming in. My dad was a woodworker, he called it an 'awl'. I know 'bradawl' from catalogs and old tool books, though, and wonder if it's a matter of specialization?
If you're selling tools, you might want to indicate that an 'awl' is the proper shape for woodworking purposes, a 'bradawl', rather than the (I imagine) slightly different ones for working with leather, or paper? Or, fabric, I know there are some kinds of embroidery that use somekindawl for making gaps between threads. ie if you only use an awl for one thing, it's an awl, if you have a variety of awls for a variety of tasks, then you have different names.

Like Mr. Maryn's using 'scratch awl', used to scratch or scribe a line on a piece of wood, and a 'punch' for an awl used to poke holes in wood. (Sad confession: my father, in a pinch, would have used a nail for any or all of these purposes.)

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
You could always invent a new tool to do the job. How about a dammitawl?

. . . oh, wait . . . in the UK it would have to be a buggerawl.

caw

Last edited:

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Like the idea of a buggerawl!

Let's just say that Mr Bad Guy does NOT use the tool for woodwork.

:evil

I'm wondering, if I have to be pendantic (which I am) and American (which I'm not*), perhaps a punch awl sounds the most likely?

Thanks for all the contributions and chuckles so far.

LPH.

* My "bestie" is currently in Florida with her boyfriend and their daughter. She has now fulfilled her mission to purchase the grape Jello I demanded. I love that synthetic grapey flavor (see, I'm bilingual!) and have been carefully rationing the stash** I picked up in Colorado two summers ago.

** For the benefit of the DEA, I'm still referring to grape Jello.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
As I dimly remember highschool woodworking (woodshop) class - a bradawl has a tiny flattened screwdriver-type end on it, and a awl comes to a spikey point.

Arisuzawa

Registered
Reaction score
I've used this tool when carving or making jewelry. In the States, I'm pretty sure I've only ever heard it called an 'awl', except when my grandmother called hers an icepick.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
If I have to have one of my American characters name the offending article, I think I'll use awl.

I like the sodditawl option better though!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the US and I have one of those, albeit with a different sort of handle. It came with a screwdriver set, and I use it for poking holes in fabric (for grommets) when making corsets. It's a common tool for corsetmakers and historical costumers. In these circles, I've never heard it called anything but an awl. They do come in different flavors, though! The tapered awl has a cone-shaped bit, so you can gradually widen the hole you're making, or make holes of varying sizes. The straight awl is perfectly uniform from base to tip. It's used for making identically sized holes.

And don't you just love the differences between the Queen's English and American English? My second novel was set in modern-day London, as well as Boston and the Great Lakes area of Canada (in the distant future). I had to do TONS of research into British terminology, to get the details right for the scenes set in England. Although, I had a bit of an advantage, being a die-hard Doctor Who and Torchwood fan! Already knew lots of British slang. :greenie

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
I watch a lot of American TV and read a lot of American true crime/crime fiction, so was reasonably clued up on some quite random stuff. It's the subtleties which have the potential to trip you up, like "make a left" instead of "turn left" - and that's one of many I could mention.

Awl this language business is pecking my head. ;)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I watch a lot of American TV and read a lot of American true crime/crime fiction, so was reasonably clued up on some quite random stuff. It's the subtleties which have the potential to trip you up, like "make a left" instead of "turn left" - and that's one of many I could mention.

Awl this language business is pecking my head. ;)

Give up language for a few months. It will give you a new appreciation for language.