Pacific Rim 2 is delayed indefinitely and Transformers 5 is green-lit?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard this news in conjunction with the announcement of Legendary working on a King Kong Vs. Godzilla film after Skull Island and Godzilla 2, maybe they're saving the Jaegers for that one...

RetsReds

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes Sofia, Bulgaria. Usually - some quite bl
I've heard this news in conjunction with the announcement of Legendary working on a King Kong Vs. Godzilla film after Skull Island and Godzilla 2, maybe they're saving the Jaegers for that one...

Unlikely, GDT says he's still working on the script and hopes they green-lit it, but the studio is putting it on hold for financial reasons. GDT wants to do his thing but as with Hellboy 3, he wants too much money.

Didn't they basically take care of the problem in Pacific Rim #1?

They did, but a guy with del Toro's imagination can certainly make an entertaining Pacific Rim 2. Plus, it was said that it might be a prequel.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't they basically take care of the problem in Pacific Rim #1?

Well, it's not like this is the kind of movie that's primarily driven by its intricate plot...

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's not like this is the kind of movie that's primarily driven by its intricate plot...

What???! Philistine! Why, Pacific Rim, with the character development, and the plot twists, and avoidance of cliché, and.. and...

Oknevermind.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Humanity - I'm disappointed by you yet again. Whoever paid for Transformers 4 - this is all your fault.

I know, right?

But...transforming robots are pretty cool. (I'm not one for the Bayverse movies, but I do like the transformation bits.)

Maybe that's it?: The market is becoming over saturated with these giant monster movies, lol?

What???! Philistine! Why, Pacific Rim, with the character development, and the plot twists, and avoidance of cliché, and.. and...

Oknevermind.

Yeah, I've only seen bits of the movie (because my father and one of my siblings were watching it), but I couldn't get into it. Not my thing, I guess. Blasphemy, I know. Tired of the hype for it, though. Some people act like this was The Godfather or Citizen Kane of scifi movies or something, lol....

I just prefer the concept of Transformers (even if I despise the Bayverse) with sentient, transforming, alien robots over some humans in mecha suits fighting Godzilla monsters.

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I just prefer the concept of Transformers (even if I despise the Bayverse) with sentient, transforming, alien robots over some humans in mecha suits fighting Godzilla monsters.
It's one of the few cases where I would absolutely LOVE to have a reboot, done properly this time. Transformers 4 made me weep blood.

RetsReds

Registered
Reaction score
Just give GDT ALL THE MONEY!! I am dying a little on the inside...

He is getting a bit ridiculous with his demands tho, that must be noted as well. They made/are making the Deadpool movie with a budget of ~$40 and that's a superhero movie with lots of special effects. And GDT wants 6-7 times more for Hellboy 3 and Pacific Rim 2. What is he going to do to justify those budgets, hire half of Hollywood? Those insane budgets are the main reason ticket prices keep rising faster and faster.
But yeah, I love almost everything he does, so - give him the money!

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I think they are looking at things in terms of saturation. Godzilla 2 is in the works, as is the Prequel/remake of King Kong, and they're seriously batting around the idea of the Godzilla vs. King Kong movie. In addition, Toho is restarting their Godzilla series too.

As for PR2, GDT wasn't shy about sharing his ideas with where he wanted to take it. It was rumored to be focused around the two scientists from the first movie, with the idea that they might try re-creating their own portal to the Kaiju world, or even becoming the villains and making their own kaiju.

I think the Transformers movies are decent...but I must confess to being generally unhappy with them and the direction they've taken everything about them. As cool as it is to see them in such detail and live-action, I would probably be happy if they gave it a rest, and then came back to a reboot in ten - fifteen years or so.

I'll never forgive them for delegating Grimlock to Optimus Prime's ride and not even giving him a line in the movie. At least half the movie isn't staring at Megan Fox's ass anymore though.

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
The $50 million for Deadpool is really,really low for a comic book movie.
~$200 million is not too crazy for an effects-heavy movie like Pacific Rim. Guardians of the Galaxy is listed at $197. Furious 7 cost $190. Arguably, Pacific Rim ($180) had even more eye-candy than either of those movies. Of course, Guardians and Furious 7 made a lot more money than Pacific Rim.
What really killed the first movie for me was the writing, though. Guillermo del Toro needs to stop working with that Clash of the Titans writer! Ugh!
I don't know why ticket prices keep rising, but the ticket price is the same for movies that cost $200 million and ones that cost $10 million. There's got to be forces at work other than blockbuster movies costing a lot.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Really, they are going to try to create a Godzilla 2014-sized gorilla?

10171768_10152469421444047_7019418286309094905_n4.jpg

As for Pacific Rim 2... meh. Give me more Godzilla.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
The talk I've heard is not making Kong the size of Godzilla, but still somehow giving him the means to fight him on equal terms. Whatever that means... I'm not encouraged.

Give me Godzilla 2. Skip the Godzilla vs. Kong. Then give me Pacific Rim 2.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mean a Godzilla-sized mecha-suit? A Gorilla-filled Jaeger?

In the original KK v G, didn't Kong drink some sort of concoction that made him grow? It's been a while...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've only seen bits of the movie (because my father and one of my siblings were watching it), but I couldn't get into it. Not my thing, I guess. Blasphemy, I know. Tired of the hype for it, though. Some people act like this was The Godfather or Citizen Kane of scifi movies or something, lol....

I'm a huge fan of Evangelion, so I had high hopes for Pacific Rim.

Lets just say I was disappointed when I found out the pilots were actually adult soldiers instead of clinically depressed 14-year-old schoolchildren.

While Pacific Rim was smarter than lots of the popular Hollywood drivel, that's setting a very low bar.

I want some fucking mindscrews and psychological drama with my mecha-kaiju action.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Dunno. It's been forever since I've seen the original G vs K. It also depends on which version you saw. There were two. One where G won, and one where K did.

This is actually not really true. There was only one Godzilla vs King Kong movie filmed. The "Japanese version" is exactly the same movie, they just add a Godzilla roar in the background in the final scene, as Kong is swimming away.

(It's really a horrible movie, by the way. I saw it a few years ago as an adult, and could not believe how much I loved that movie when I was ten. I'm pretty sure there was no growth potion for Kong - he and Godzilla were just the same size, but definitely not 150m tall.)

RetsReds

Registered
Reaction score
The $50 million for Deadpool is really,really low for a comic book movie.
~$200 million is not too crazy for an effects-heavy movie like Pacific Rim. Guardians of the Galaxy is listed at $197. Furious 7 cost $190. Arguably, Pacific Rim ($180) had even more eye-candy than either of those movies. Of course, Guardians and Furious 7 made a lot more money than Pacific Rim.
What really killed the first movie for me was the writing, though. Guillermo del Toro needs to stop working with that Clash of the Titans writer! Ugh!
I don't know why ticket prices keep rising, but the ticket price is the same for movies that cost $200 million and ones that cost $10 million. There's got to be forces at work other than blockbuster movies costing a lot.

Mno, it's the blockbuster movies. Ticket prices are not based on the budget of the particular movies, they are based on the overall yearly expenses of the industry (studios & movie theaters). And with blockbusters drastically increasing the overall yearly budget of studios, studios start asking the theaters for more money from tickets and all ticket prices increase in return. Tickets for indie movies are not 10 lower than those of blockbusters - they get lowered and increased together.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score

It's a little more complicated, and now involves inter-studio politics.

Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures had a financing deal together for a few years, and Legendary financed a lot of films for WB including Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. After Pacific Rim, Legendary left Warner Bros. and instead took its label to finance under Universal. In the move, Legendary took the rights to Pacific Rim and a few other titles to Universal (in exchange for dropping its claim on WB titles like Godzilla 2 and Batman vs. Superman).

Under Universal, Legendary was financing Skull Island. It's costing a lot of money, and Universal doesn't want to pay for it--only distribute it. Now Legendary is back talking to Warner Bros. to move Skull Island back to Warner Bros., to help with cash but also added bonus that since Warner Bros. has the Godzilla rights, Legendary and Warner Bros. can have a new super franchise of Kong vs. Godzilla.

Pacific Rim 2 is pretty much caught in the cross-hairs.

As for the direct comparison to Transformers, that franchise is basically Paramount's only reliable source of cash and they'll greenlight it as long as it pulls in the cash. It also did remarkably, remarkably well in China.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Well that's awkward, considering King Kong: Skull Island is currently under construction as the new mega-attraction at Universal Studios in Orlando.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I had the same response to the last Transformer movie as the President of the Mid-Galactic Arts Nobbling Council had to the Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning.

It was not pretty...

Pacific Rim I thouroughly enjoyed.

HomewardBound

Everything's Shiny.
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first Transformers on TV, and it wasn't completely terrible. It's something to leave on to serve as background noise, being comforting in its mediocrity. The only reason I've seen 2 and 3 is because of friends. I wasn't impressed.

For Pacific Rim, the story line is pretty thin and has holes big enough that a Kaiju probably punched a few of them. But I went to see this movie for one reason: There are giant monsters, and there are giant robots. They fight each other. It is big and destructive and the good guys win. I had low expectations, and they were agreeably met. I'm not sure how gung-ho I'd be for a sequel, but definitely more interested in a Pacific Rim sequel than Transformers, without a question.

As for PR2, GDT wasn't shy about sharing his ideas with where he wanted to take it. It was rumored to be focused around the two scientists from the first movie, with the idea that they might try re-creating their own portal to the Kaiju world, or even becoming the villains and making their own kaiju.

OK, I actually might see that. The two scientists bantering was the most entertaining part of the movie for me, so this feels like potentially reducing the roles of the characters I didn't care about. And it would still probably be better than the Transformers sequels, so that couldn't hurt.