Grammar so poor you ignore the comment.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Ever happen?

Today, while substituting a class, I saw written on the board, "Mr. S' the best!" (My last name begins in an S) I noticed that and started going off about how the apostraphe shouldn't have been used that way. I was about three minutes in when I remembered that, despite the poor grammar, the intention was supposed to be a compliment.

Has this ever happened to you guys?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
"apostrophe" -- not a spelling or grammar cop, but had to point this out in an OP with this subject. I don't throw stones, living in a glass house and all. Not the best at spelling or grammar. Had a deprived childhood, you know.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
There was a particular English teacher we used to torment by writing deliberately horrid grammar on the chalk board before she got to class.(which she would correct) We once moved all the furniture, we turned everything upside down, including her desk and pictures and posters on the wall. We wrote and drew things upside down on the chalk board. She was such the good sport about it all and took everything as the good natured prank we intended.
For me, she was that one fantastically awesome teacher that not everyone gets. I loved that teacher, she actually was the best. So unless your real name is Jane Roll I would have to challenge that assessment.

Altiv

Chasing the dragon...
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, it happened to me yesterday. I was reading a walkthrough for a game (Final Fantasy X-2) and its author's grammar was so horrible (she kept spelling to as too, you're as your, etc.) I couldn't even finish reading it. It was too painful to keep looking at, and my inner voice was shouting 'no!, it's 'to not too'.' English isn't my mother tongue, so my grammar is not the best, but it baffles me when people can't write simple sentences without making a simple mistake. I had to look for another walkthrough to finish that game.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
There was a particular English teacher we used to torment by writing deliberately horrid grammar on the chalk board before she got to class.(which she would correct) We once moved all the furniture, we turned everything upside down, including her desk and pictures and posters on the wall. We wrote and drew things upside down on the chalk board. She was such the good sport about it all and took everything as the good natured prank we intended.
For me, she was that one fantastically awesome teacher that not everyone gets. I loved that teacher, she actually was the best. So unless your real name is Jane Roll I would have to challenge that assessment.

Lol, re: rearranging the furniture.

I did something similar once, although the prank was on my classmates rather than the teacher. We had a teacher (who was, coincidentally, also awesome) who would rearrange the desks into a particular anti-cheating formation whenever we had a test. I got to class early one day and discovered the door unlocked and the classroom empty. Never one to waste a golden opportunity, I moved the desks into the test formation, then left and returned a bit later so I wouldn't be the "first one" there. I had a solid ten minutes of silently laughing as my classmates walked in, took one look at the furniture, and panicked. "Did you know we had a test today?" "No! It must be a pop quiz!" "Aw man, I didn't study this last chapter."

Actually, the teacher got to be a hero, since it was she who informed them that someone was playing a prank and there wasn't any test.