PDA

View Full Version : Want to be part of a national epic poem?

William Haskins
09-18-2015, 03:55 AM
This marked the first week as U.S. poet laureate for Juan Felipe Herrera, the 21st poet to hold the position and first Hispanic poet to do so, as well as the beginning of a new nation-wide poetry project.

Herrera announced his project, “La Casa de Colores,” earlier this month at the National Book Festival. The project will combine submissions from the public across a different theme each month; combined, they will form one giant epic poem over the course of his laureateship.

Starting this week, anyone can submit up to 200 characters per 30 days to the project on the Library of Congress’ website (http://www.loc.gov/poetry/casadecolores/familia/). From now until Oct. 15, submissions should address the subject of family.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/submit-casa-de-colores-nation-wide-poetry-project/

from the library of congress site:

Welcome to La Familia, a feature of Juan Felipe Herrera’s Poet Laureate project La Casa de Colores! To contribute to La Familia, an epic poem that will run the span of Herrera’s Laureateship, please use the form below to write up to 200 characters of poetry. Only one submission during a 30-day period is permitted per author, and submissions for each month's theme must be received by the 15th of that month. Thank you for participating in La Familia, and we look forward to reading your contribution.

By contributing to La Familia, you agree that

You are at least 13 years of age;
Your contribution is your original work, you are its only author, and you own the rights to it;
Your poem may not be selected to become a part of La Familia. Whether your poem is included is entirely at the discretion and artistic judgment of the Poet Laureate and the Library of Congress. Contributions that violate copyright or are obscene, defamatory, or otherwise inappropriate are unlikely to be included;
If your collection is selected, you may not receive attribution;
Your contribution is dedicated to the public domain, which means the Poet Laureate, the Library of Congress, and anyone else may copy, modify, distribute, publicly perform and create derivative works of your submission, even for commercial purposes, without asking your permission;
You give the Library of Congress and the Poet Laureate permission to use your name, city, and state; and
Your contribution conforms to all of the guidelines noted above.

http://www.loc.gov/poetry/casadecolores/familia/

Stew21
09-18-2015, 05:37 PM
thanks for posting this.

What a great idea.

William Haskins
09-18-2015, 06:16 PM
i thought so, too.

Sarita
09-18-2015, 10:55 PM
Very cool project. I don't like this bit, but otherwise a very nice idea that could get people involved in poetry: "If your collection is selected, you may not receive attribution"

Kylabelle
09-19-2015, 03:33 PM
That gave me pause too. The first thing that came to mind, in fact, was what a huge task it could be, reading all the various submissions and pulling them together into something coherent. And I guess it makes sense that individuals would not necessarily be credited, just because (I'm guessing) some submissions would possibly be cut or moved around. ETA: The guidelines even specify that might happen, as well as editing of any kind they see fit or re-use even for commercial purposes....

Anyone here feeling inspired to participate?

William Haskins
09-19-2015, 11:16 PM
i'm gonna.

T Robinson
09-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Anyone here feeling inspired to participate?

No. 200 characters sounds like twitter style. Not that I "do" poetry anyway. I can read and appreciate, but that is my personal limit. Me reciting poetry would violate two state laws and three city ordinances.

William Haskins
09-19-2015, 11:28 PM
it's not as limiting as you might be thinking. i've written many poems under 200 characters.

178 characters, including title and spaces:

The Politics of a Passing Glance

the politics of
a passing glance—

a language, arcane
and syncopated,

spoken in silent
negotiation;

a random moment
dissected by

a subtle shift
of the eyes.

Kylabelle
09-19-2015, 11:30 PM
I guess we can't share them here, since the submissions need to be previously unpublished....

Thanks for the example of the length, William.

ETA: Huh. Just reading over the OP again, it doesn't say anything about "previously unpublished" so, if we wanted to we could share them here.

Which would be cool.

William Haskins
09-19-2015, 11:39 PM
i plan to keep this thread updated with what i've submitted.

Chrissy
09-19-2015, 11:42 PM
@Kyla - Yes it would! I do hope people share. I am thinking of attempting one, just for fun. "Family" as a prompt is intriguing.

@William - yay!

Kylabelle
09-20-2015, 12:07 AM
Cool!

ETA: Yeah, I know I already said that.

Um, neato!

:greenie

Kylabelle
09-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Here's a handy character counter: http://www.lettercount.com/

ETA: The hard part is including a word I don't yet know. I hope that is not a strict requirement because I'm stuck there.

ETA: Wrote another with some new-to-me words (but I bet my dad knew them.)

Kylabelle
09-21-2015, 01:12 AM
Okay, I submitted this:

I skipped
appoggiatura
to dance for
his smile
my pa who
taught us to sing
wept when he left
our five part harmony
his through-composed life
in plagal cadence.

His measure made
the music we dream to.

~~~

C.bronco
09-21-2015, 04:46 AM
Cool!

Kylabelle
09-21-2015, 08:39 PM
So, CB, you gonna do one of these?

Kylabelle
10-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Anyone else? Today is the deadline for these first poems. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes and what next month's theme is.

Kylabelle
10-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Here's the information for the next round:

Theme for Oct. 15-Nov. 14, 2015
"Migrants: Portraits and Friendships"

Every inch of this land is woven with migrant trails. These are pathways from family to family, country to country, and most of all heart to heart. For this month, find a trail and travel through it to a new dream. What do you see in your travels? And how do you make friends along the way? Describe for me in the language of poetry—migrate into new words, use new landscapes of images.

http://www.loc.gov/poetry/casadecolores/familia/

Kylabelle
10-17-2015, 08:40 PM
This one is harder than the first one was.

Kylabelle
10-24-2015, 10:30 PM
So many thousand
miles of steps
a woman's feet walk
shod or bare
on dusty roads
each step trod by all
-- time before and to come --
looking for new clean ground.
Not yet, mi peregrina, not yet.

ick.

Kylabelle
10-25-2015, 01:44 PM
I haven't submitted that one yet. It may be the best I can do for this theme, which is so big I find it daunting.

Kylabelle
11-11-2015, 03:29 PM
I am alone in this thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shod or bare,
these feet walk
on dusty roads,
each step trod by all,
time before,
time to come.

I look for new
clean ground.

The road says
"Not yet, mi peregrina.
Walk further."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The deadline approaches. I may edit this again.

Kylabelle
11-11-2015, 06:52 PM
And submitted.

Now I see a screen that says "After the 15th of each month, a new section of this epic poem will be posted to the Library of Congress' Poetry and Literature Web site." Didn't see that last time.

Oh ho! Here is last month's segment:

http://www.loc.gov/poetry/casadecolores/familia/familia-part1.html

Awesome stuff in there. Long, taking my time to read it all.

cellajam
11-11-2015, 07:16 PM
I read through part of the first "installment", then lost interest.

http://www.loc.gov/poetry/casadecolores/familia/familia-part1.html

I'm not sure what to call it, to me it seems a collection of bits and pieces. As it doesn't seem to be put into a cohesive whole I don't know why the pieces couldn't be attributed to their authors.

Your contribution is dedicated to the public domain, which means the Poet Laureate, the Library of Congress, and anyone else may copy, modify, distribute, publicly perform and create derivative works of your submission, even for commercial purposes, without asking your permission;

My bold, what's up with that? Anyone want to give their work to the advertising industry for free or see it used as a political slogan for a candidate you detest? Not that that couldn't happen anyway but this seems to go too far.

So, I'm not inspired to take part, maybe I'll see more value in the future. It's nice that people are being encouraged to write poems, but I'm already doing that. Maybe someone else can explain to me what they see in the project, I'm sitting at meh.

Kylabelle
11-12-2015, 01:09 AM
I've been thinking about your post and wondering how I would explain why this appeals to me. It may be that everyone else who expressed interest when the thread was first posted has come to similar conclusions, I don't know. I also have no idea why the part you bolded is in there but after consideration decided I really don't care.

Why? It's an interesting project, to assemble short poetic bits from a wide range of people. Whether the resulting product is good poetry or not is secondary though of course I would prefer that it be. But even though, as you say, it looks like a long collection of disparate bits stuck together, I still find it intriguing and worthwhile to participate in what I might call a wild poetry current.

And I enjoy the challenge of coming up with something I can feel good enough about to submit, though after reading some -- not all, because like you I flagged after a while -- of this first section, I see some really wonderful bits that I find inspiring. They also shine much brighter to me than my own bit! It's okay though.

I don't expect any of that to convince you. That's okay too.

cellajam
11-12-2015, 02:14 AM
I liked yours, and taking part in any prompt is fun and productive, I just don't like that it becomes public domain. Trump may be looking for a new catch phrase. :D

There were a few moving bits in the part I read, but for me they weren't near the majority. I'm curious about how many were received and what percentage they used. Maybe if I read through the whole thing I would see some pattern or point to the arrangement of the pieces but I gave up when I realized my scroll bar had only moved down an inch and I'd been through about fifty. I really expected something more to be made of it.

Kyla, if you get any further with it and find what I'm missing I'd love to know about it and give it another try. :)

Kylabelle
11-12-2015, 03:37 AM
I agree with you that the assembly of parts doesn't work as a whole. I did wonder when this began about the logistics, not to mention the esthetic challenge, of attempting to weave together an unknown but large number of very different tidbits. I guess so far that has been solved by simply listing them in some order or other (is it random? I can't tell!)

Also the page design is terrible and the text is small and hard to read after a very short while.

But it is early yet and I wonder if something else will develop with this project.

As for Trump, golly, that never occurred to me! Yipes!

:greenie

Kylabelle
11-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Next theme:

Theme for Nov. 15-Dec. 14, 2015
"Language Weavers"

We all speak in different languages. We connect the words of our ancestors, our home and world through our voices. For this month, I want you to weave in and out of two or more languages—weave together the language of your new home, your homeland, the way you speak to your grandmother, your banter with friends on the court or field, or just everyday lingo of "¿Que Pasa? What’s Happening?" Or link up critical news reportage, Hip-Hop, and the high words of prayer into one powerful Colores statement or description. Let your language colors flow, so we can all grow and glo'!

As of now the second month's group is not yet posted.

Kylabelle
11-23-2015, 02:41 AM
Second month's group still not posted. This project seems stalled. I am wondering too if the intent is, later, to weave all the submissions into a more coherent whole. It's a huge pile of words!

And I am utterly stumped by this third theme, largely because I have no second language but also because I am just not inspired by the prompt, at all. Of course, that could change.

cellajam
11-24-2015, 05:52 AM
Second month's group still not posted. This project seems stalled. I am wondering too if the intent is, later, to weave all the submissions into a more coherent whole. It's a huge pile of words!

And I am utterly stumped by this third theme, largely because I have no second language but also because I am just not inspired by the prompt, at all. Of course, that could change.

Well, the prompt does seem to ignore the whole segment of the country who are far removed from their immigrant ancestry and/or are descendants of immigrants who felt it was important to learn and speak the language of the land.

Although I don't think this is what he meant, we tend to speak different languages, of a sort, in our different roles in life. Kyla, you speak the language of poetry, quite different from Hi, how you doing? Just a thought. :)