Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm stumped. I'm going to try and make scones for Easter breakfast (yeah, I knowk, I know) at my Dad's house. Actually, Easter is just one long buffet for my family - we go from house to house eating for about 6 hours straight.

Anyway, I have two recipies - one for Gingerbread scones with an Orange-ginger butter to spread on top, and one for Christmas Scones. The Christmas ones have dried cranberries, apricots and walnuts, and sugar on top.

Which sounds better? I can't decide which ones to make!

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I love gingerbread (especially with lemon frosting or butter,) but not everyone does.

It can give some people a mean case of heartburn.

I'd go with the second choice.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
they both sound great to me. but if you have guests unsure of new things, the chunky one might be seem less appealing, i think i'd choose gingerbread.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Go with the Chistmas ones. I just say this because I (a) think gingerbread is nasty and (b) love cranberries and walnuts.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Don't bother.

If I'm posting on it, eventually it will be in TIO, then locked.

And, frankly, I'm offended by the use of the word "chunky."

I prefer "big-boned."

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Christmas scones sound tasty--but they also seem Christmas-y. The others seem more spring-like.

Just to muddy the waters, what about a scone with a spring fruit (berries of some sort)?

Maryn, who's only made scones once (blueberry-black raspberry)

FlyByNight

Rubber Dog Poop Hauler
Registered
Reaction score
They both sound great, very wintery though. I believe that if you love the flavor than make it, regardless of the time of year. I made pumkin soup at Christmas last year.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Easter means chocolate. The Easter Ferret demands you make these!

Cinnamon-Chocolate Scones

Decorative container
Tea towels
Medium jar containing the following dry ingredients:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Small jar honey (recommended: lavender blossom)
Honey dipper
Medium jar 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
Small jar preserves
Jam spreader
Wooden spoon
2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter
Recipe card, see below for text

In a large mason jar, using parchment paper as a funnel, carefully pour in the dry ingredients in alternating layers. Line container with tea towels and place all items inside. The recipe card should read as follows:
To make your cinnamon-chocolate scones, start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer), mix the dry ingredients. Grab a stick of butter from the refrigerator, cut it into pieces, and with the mixer running, and add the butter and mix until coarse and sandy. You should still be able to see small lumps of butter. Head back to the refrigerator and grab the milk. Measure out a cup and a quarter, then add it and mix until almost combined. Next, add the chocolate chunks and mix just to distribute them evenly through the dough. Do not overmix; there may still be some flour not mixed in.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough 10 times to bring it together and smooth it out. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough 1-inch thick. Using a the biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Using a spatula, transfer to an ungreased sheet pan. Knead the scraps together just until combined, then roll out again and continue cutting out circles until all the dough is used. Bake until light golden brown, about 15 minutes. When they're all done, serve with honey and jam. YUMMY!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
Go with the Chistmas ones. I just say this because I (a) think gingerbread is nasty and (b) love cranberries and walnuts.

Yeah. What she said.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Well, my dad said he wants the Christmas ones. I could substitute another dried fruit, I suppose.

While the cinnamon-chocolate ones sound wonderful, my pop's not a big chocolate guy. Except chocolate cake.

But I'm keeping that recipe. Yummy!

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Christine N. said:
Durn it, I thought I put this in OP, not TIO. Mods, if you want to move it, please do.

Since it's in TIO, I feel it necessary to make it at least slightly offensive, so:

As far as what I would like to eat, you left out a third and very important choice. ;)

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
Well, my dad said he wants the Christmas ones. I could substitute another dried fruit, I suppose.

While the cinnamon-chocolate ones sound wonderful, my pop's not a big chocolate guy. Except chocolate cake.

But I'm keeping that recipe. Yummy!

Can you make me some Gingerbread ones though ?? Yummy !!!!

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Who wants the recipes??? Here they are...

Gingerbread Scones

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 ground cloves
1/2 ground nutmeg
1/2 c. unsalted butter, chilled (this is really important for flaky pastry), cut up
2 eggs, divided
1/3 c. buttermilk
1 tbsp. molasses
1 tbsp. water

Orange-Ginger Butter

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add ginger, cloves and nutmeg, whisk together until well-blended. With pastry blender or 2 knives cut in butter until butter is size of blueberries. (as with all pasty, it is important that you still see chunks of butter in the batter; they melt during baking and make air pockets and leave you with a flaky scone.)

In small bowl, whisk together 1 egg, buttermilk and molasses until blended. Pour into flour mixture; stir with fork until evenly moistened. With hands, quickly and and gently press together to form dough. Place on baking sheet; pat into 7-inch round, 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges, separate slightly (they'll bake together)

In another small bowl, whisk together remaining egg and water; brush lightly over top of scones. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Bake 20-25 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with Orange-Ginger Butter.

Orange-Ginger Butter
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.

In small bowl, stir together all ingredients until well-combined. Butter can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Serve at room temperature. Makes 8 scones.

Pastry tips

Do not overwork your pastry. The more you beat it, the more gluten strands form, which makes the pastry tough.
Always use pastry blender or two knives when cutting butter in. Make sure butter is cold. If butter starts to melt while you are making dough, put dough in refrigerator for 10 minutes.

Scones dough can be prepared the night before; then all you have to do in the morning is pop the baking sheet into the oven and have a nice warm breakfast with little effort.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Here are the Christmas Scones.

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut up. (see pastry tips)
2 eggs, divided
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon large crystallized sugar

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add cinnamon, allspice, and cloves; whisk until well-blended. Stir in cranberries, apricots and walnuts until coated with flour. With pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until butter is the size of blueberries.

In small bowl, whisk together 1 of the eggs and cream until blended. Pour into flour mixture; stir with fork until evenly moistened. With hands, quickly and gently press together to form dough. Place on baking sheet, press into 8 inch round, 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges, separate slightly.

In another small bowl, whisk together 1 egg and water; lightly brush over top of scones. Sprinkle with crystallized sugar. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on rack 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 8 scones.

Again, don't knead the dough or it'll be tough.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
Durn it, I thought I put this in OP, not TIO. Mods, if you want to move it, please do.

Nah - you mentioned "Christmas" which as we know from a few months ago is just filled with controversy. To be politically correct and sensitive to those that don't celebrate "Christmas" shouldn't you call them "Holiday" scones?

There - that should keep it in TIO. ;)

As for your original question....I'd probably go with the first one. The second one sounds 'heavier' in taste and flavor and more of a 'winter' scone - whereas the one with the orange flavor seems more 'spring' like to me...

But that's just my .02

Take care and good luck with the scones.

Puddle Jumper

Would lamb be appropriate or inappropriate to eat on Easter? Though I suppose that wouldn't be a breakfast.

I think eggs would be a good breakfast, as eggs are associated with Easter. Maybe chocolate chip pancakes since chocolate is also associated with Easter.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Christine, as you indicated, this thread is more appropriate for OP. I'm moving it.

ETA: And I vote Gingerbread. They sound yummy.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Serve barbequed spare ribs for the main course, and Wild Turkey shooters for desert. (and dessert, too) Problem solved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.