PDA

View Full Version : The Scorch Trials

cat_named_easter
09-13-2015, 02:47 AM
Anyone else left a bit disappointed after this? I really enjoyed the first film - it was a pleasant surprise. I've also read the first two books in the series and thought they were fab. Just great, page-turning, tense, adventure novels.
But even after seeing the trailer for Scorch Trials I was thinking I couldn't really recognise much from the novel. Then I actually watched it a couple of nights ago. It left me thoroughly underwhelmed for two big reasons:

1. I know this is nothing new in the world of films, but not only had they changed stuff from the novel, it was a COMPLETELY different storyline. There were some quite noticeable differences between the first novel and first film but for this, they've basically just written an entirely new story - and I don't know why! The only similarities seemed to be the characters of Brenda and Jorge, the lightning storm and the fact that it's set in a roasted, abandoned world. Everything else is unrecognisable. I really liked the way the novel begins. It's stripped back and simple and so eerie when the Gladers start to notice things aren't quite right with their new surroundings. The movie version was loud, overpopulated and predictable.

2. It just seems to have followed the general Hollywood rule of sequels - add a thousand more cast members and make everything BIGGER, the assumption being that this will somehow make things more enjoyable and will up the ante. But the enormous set-pieces, huge cast and warzone scenes just have the opposite effect for me. They make me numb and lose interest. It just all became a bit meaningless and bombastic.

Boo to you, Scorch Trials-makers. I feel really let down.

Thoughts?

P.s. The title also now didn't seem to even apply to the film. In the novel the characters find out early on that this whole thing really is another 'trial', just like the maze. It's one enormous test to push the Gladers to their limits and see who can survive. In the film, this element is gone. They're on the run for the whole thing having completely escaped from WCKD. I guess it is a 'trial' in another sense but, meh, not impressed.

RetsReds
09-20-2015, 10:00 AM
I watched the first movie on a plane, half-asleep and I haven't read the books. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the first movie, mainly because it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. It certainly had it's original moments. That all changed in the end however - the ending made it obvious what the second movie is going to be like and that it will suck. I don't plan to watch the second movie at all.

MDSchafer
09-22-2015, 05:44 AM
I liked the first movie enough that I read the book, and I thought they greatly improved the Maze Runner during the movie making process. I didn't like the books enough to keep reading though. The copy of the Maze Runner had a preview chapter of Scorch Trials and I laughed out loud when the zombies were yelling, "I'm a Crank," over and over again.

I think you're right for the most part. The movie is way overpopulated to the detriment of their existing characters, although I thought they made good casting decisions with the adults. Other than Thomas the rest of the gladers aren't really used, to the movie's detriment. There are some character decisions that seem random. They get the medical stuff wrong, wrong enough that the entire core of the story doesn't work. They fall into a lot of dystopic plot device holes. Overall I thought the first movie was stronger and better paced.