Writing Conferences in Midwest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowVixenX

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a junior in college working towards my degree in creative writing and my plan is to go to a writing conference or two during the summer of 2016. I live in Michigan and don't have a ton of money to spend, but I really want to work on bettering myself as a writer outside of my school. I've done a bit of research on some conferences in MI (a few at Interlochen really interest me) but I was hoping that some more experienced writers could give me some recommendations. I don't have a problem having to get a hotel or finding accommodations for a night/weekend/week, I just need to make sure the conference doesn't interfere with the start of school and doesn't put me back too much as I still have to save up for tuition and books. I write YA Historical Fantasy, currently have the first draft of my novel written, and enjoy writing poetry as well. I really would like the conference to be in Michigan, but any of the near lying states would also be okay if they are highly recommended. Any help is greatly appreciated!

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I don't know about Michigan, but ConQuest in Kansas City, Missouri, was great this year. Granted, that might be a little out of the way, and it might not coincide with your summer vacation. But you might see if your state has any major writing groups that sponsor conventions or workshops, or ask your creative writing teachers if they know of anything nearby. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you're a junior working on a creative writing degree, aren't you getting more writing information and instruction during the school year than you can remember? Why not spend your free time putting that to use, rather than looking for more?

I sold a lot of fiction and nonfiction, and so did several of my classmates, but using every day away from school, be it a holiday break, spring break, or the summer break, writing and submitting as much as I possibly could. The last thing I wanted was another conference.

I think the only reason for a creative writing major to go to a conference in his off time is if you have a finished, polished novel ready to go, and you're hoping to find and agent for it.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Thanks SBibb, I'll look into that one and ask some of my professors if they have any recommendations

Glad I could help. :)

I think the only reason for a creative writing major to go to a conference in his off time is if you have a finished, polished novel ready to go, and you're hoping to find and agent for it.

I think that depends on what you hope to gain. Different conferences and different courses focus on different things, so if chosen carefully, going to a conference between classes may not be a bad move.

For example, I took creative writing as a minor while I was in college. They focused almost solely on literary fiction. I write genre. While I did learn some information from those classes, I learned most of my technique outside the classes from blogs, books, and studying other books. But I also recently went to Conquest, a science fiction and fantasy convention, and it had wonderful advice, both on the craft of writing and selling (be it trade or self-published).

So really, it depends on the goals of the person in question. I do advise researching a convention or conference beforehand, to see if they have panels or authors of interest, and avoid getting caught in going to a ton of conventions but never writing, but it can be a great experience. Especially if any authors of whom you admire the writing style are going to be presenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.