Leica Camera Used After Dark

AndyE

Registered
Reaction score
I have a character photographing a room with a 1920s Leica camera. If he takes a photograph in an artificially lit environment without using a flash bulb or a tripod, is there any way a usable image can be produced?

(I suspect I know the answer, but I thought I'd ask anyway!)

Are there any other cameras of that period which might be able to produce a decent image?

Robert Dawson

Getting The Hang Of It
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cs.smu.ca
The answer is yes, fairly easily. There are several ways, one not available if the story is set in the 1920's. By the way, apart from a smallish fixed lens (maximum aperture f/3.5 or so), a decent 1920's camera was not much worse than a decent 1990s camera, and better than a lot of "point-and-shoot" devices. Leicas were pretty good. Artificial lighting, though, was typically a lot dimmer than today.

(1) Black and white film (the most common choice then) can be push-processed (developed to make it act like a faster film) much better than color film. He might get a "usable" - not pretty - picture using available light, wide aperture and a 1/60 second exposure (the longest recommended for a handheld shot), if the film was developed well. Note that that wide aperture would reduce depth of focus - not very important for a photograph of a room, unless the room was very small.

(2) A camera can be placed on a table-top in the absence of a tripod for a time exposure; and most good cameras of that era did time exposures.. This 1927 Leica camera , for instance, has a 1/20 second shutter setting ("20") and a "time" setting (that's the "Z", for "Zeit".) I've actually used a camera much like this. The time setting would probably be a click-on-click-off control. You might get a little blur from the shake when you press the button, but it'll actually be less noticeable in a long time exposure. If held very firmly, or not touched, the results will be good.

(3) Twenty years ago, you could buy very fast color film, ASA1000 or higher. This was not available in the 1920s: color films in those days were very slow by modern standards. Black and white, not so much: you will notice the 1/500 second setting!

Last edited:

AndyE

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Robert. That's just what I needed. The character wouldn't know how to do anything complicated but he would probably know enough to adjust the aperture on a camera or set a timed exposure. Great stuff!

Last edited:

Robert Dawson

Getting The Hang Of It
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cs.smu.ca
He'd probably know how to do quite a bit more than most camera owners today - if only because photography was a more expensive hobby and the gear was less beginner-friendly.