Sweet spot: After submission, before rejection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katitas

Registered
Reaction score
I have only submitted a few things... short stories and nano-fiction pieces, which to date have all been kindly rejected, although I have visions of normally nice people at the magazines howling with laughter at my writing attempts..."Hahahahaha... can you even believe she thought she was any good? God, I hope she keeps her day job!" Etc, etc, etc.

Then I have to step back and think of the comments of my friends and loved ones who have read my writing who don't think I'm completely delusional and encourage me to go on. I may never publish a thing, and I'm not planning to quit my day job. I have a Guatemalan friend who says to me... "No pasa nada!" Literally translated it means nothing will happen... but the sentiment behind the saying is: "Why not, just go for it!" So that is my mantra: No pasa nada!

Katitas

Registered
Reaction score
I just found out yesterday that I am a finalist for a short non-fiction story that I entered for the Oregon Writer's Colony annual contest! Just being a finalist has given me new energy and excitement and set me to starting a new story today.:partyguy:

Last edited:

culmo80

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's exciting after you submit. It feels good.

Congratulations on being a finalist in the contest!

Even if you don't win or none of your submissions don't pan out, don't give up. Rejection manuscripts aren't failures, unwritten manuscripts are.

Katitas

Registered
Reaction score
After I submit my work it feels a bit akin to how I have felt regarding my children... I have put in a ton of initial work raising them and now that they are twenty-somethings and are out in the world, there is only so much I can do. I wait and hope. When I submit my writing, I wait and hope.

When my writing comes back, having been kindly rejected, I re-work it some and send it out again. When my kids come back needing some work (they always do, don't they?), I do what I can to be supportive, and send them out again.

I am not giving up on my writing or my children! Thanks for the encouragement, culmo80!

Status
Not open for further replies.