PDA

View Full Version : Signed with an agency

katdad
11-09-2004, 06:28 AM
I've just heard from the agency who was evaluating my private detective novels.

They have offered me a contract for representation, and are quite enthusiastic about selling my books to a publisher.

The agency is a legitimate one, AAR signatory, and non-fee charging of course.

Writing Again
11-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Wishing you best of luck.

Maryn
11-12-2004, 04:10 AM
That's great news. First step of what may be a most fruitful career, right? Right.

It's nice to hear that someone we know is succeeding, gives us in the muck some hope.

Maryn

eyesben
11-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Well done! Keep us posted ;)

Stace001
12-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Congratulations Katdad, I'm really happy for you. Here's to a long and fruitful career.:D

lulalouise
12-18-2004, 11:16 PM
much congrats... may your success rub off on all of us!!!!:p

katdad
12-21-2004, 12:00 AM
My agent hopes to find a publisher for my first novel in early 2005. But of course there's no guarantee.

In the meantime I'm putting the finishing revisions on my second novel in the series, and hope to have it to the agency by mid-January.

If these novels sell, everyone will be invited to the party.

Maryn
12-21-2004, 01:40 AM
"If these novels sell, everyone will be invited to the party."

I'm salivating at the prospect of finger food and, I hope, a decent merlot...

So we've got our fingers crossed in hopes of a rapid sale, for our own selfish reasons!

Maryn

katdad
12-21-2004, 05:34 AM
I'm salivating at the prospect of finger food and, I hope, a decent merlot...
Of course! Pass me thet bag of pork rinds, will yuh?

And remember to screw the top back on the wine and stick it back in the fridge! Some more of them artsy-fartsy types may show up later.

Nateskate
01-14-2005, 08:49 AM
I believe in you Katdad. From the moment I saw your sig, I just knew this was a successful writer.

Congrats, and don't forget us when you hit the big time!

Nate.

katdad
01-15-2005, 01:15 AM
I finished my 2nd novel in the "Mitch King" mystery series and sent it to the agency on Wednesday. They received it today.

Maryn
01-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Again with the good news! Now brace yourself for the sales war that may soon erupt.

We're proud of you--our own Local Boy Makes Good, eh?

Maryn, still only 20,000 words in or so

Betty W01
01-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Katdad, whoo-whoo! Congratulations!! Let's go ahead and party now. We can (and will) throw another when you get a sale.

http://pages.prodigy.net/hauxfan/Signs/Text_in_Bubble/23.gif

katdad
01-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Let's go ahead and party now.
You're too late. I did some partying Thursday. But anytime you're in Houston we can revive the celebratory mood.

CACTUSWENDY
02-15-2005, 08:47 AM
:PartySmil :TheWave: :TheWave: :PartySmil :PartySmil :PartySmil :PartySmil :TheWave: :TheWave:

THAT IS SOOOO GREAT......WOOOWOOO.....CONGRATES....

~~~~~~~WENDY~~~~~

katdad
02-15-2005, 11:00 AM
You're welcome. Now I'm working on the 3rd novel (among other things) while I let my agent shop the first two novels to publishers.

Last I spoke with him, he was pretty enthusiastic that he'd find a sale in the near future.

Then the party will commence! All my literary friends will be welcome to attend, just as long as they are in Houston.

BradyH1861
02-18-2005, 02:03 AM
Hey,

Good luck with that! I plan on buying one of the first copies. I am about 35 miles from Houston, so I hope to recognize some of the locations! (I recall that they are set in Houston, right?) Best wishes!

Brady H.

katdad
02-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Hey, Good luck with that! I plan on buying one of the first copies. I am about 35 miles from Houston, so I hope to recognize some of the locations! (I recall that they are set in Houston, right?) Best wishes!
Brady H.
Thanks!

Yes I've spent many happy times in Galveston, much of it on Apfel beach (East) or along the Strand during the various festivals.

In novel #1 I have a major plot line at JSC / NASA involving an astronaut. One prominent location is the Outpost, that famous astronaut hangout bar.

In Houston I also have the Montrose district, downtown, River Oaks, Memorial, Rice University. Plenty of bars and restaurants, too. My protagonist private detective lives in the Heights.

In novel #2, still in Houston, I have some gangster places in the barrio, and a lush bay-side townhouse in Clear Lake. And plenty of bad stuff involving a serial killer, "The Slicer".

When my novel sells, I'll let everyone know, and later, I will notify folks about the signings for sure.

triceretops
02-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Katdad, I don't know how I missed your success with that agent. That is whopping news, especially with two books. You might be on your way to a series if that was your intention. I'm waiting on agent 2,3 and 4.

Tri

Good Word
02-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Care to share with us some details on how your agent experience so far?

For example, how did you find the agent? How long did it take you? What is the contract like?

And what's the latest?

Tell us, tell us!:snoopy:

katdad
02-20-2005, 03:08 AM
My agency experience is pretty typical, I guess.

I found the agent from a recommendation. A pal I know is represented by this agency and he suggested I email them.

I emailed them, they responded, and then I sent a synopsis plus 3-4 chapters of novel #1. This I did via email.

They like this, asked for the complete novel, in hard copy. This all took about 2 weeks from my first email.

The novel was read and passed around at the agency. They had it about 6 weeks, then sent me a contract!

The agency is a "legit" one, an AAR (Association of Artists' Representatives) and Authors' Guild signatory. They charge no up-front fees, such as evaluation fees or reading fees. Their sole source of income is their standard 15% commission.

My 2nd novel was just sent to them, and they are still evaluating it.

I only signed in November, and publishing houses practically shut down over the holiday season, so my novel only just now being shopped around -- since the beginning of the year.

The contract was pretty standard, 2 pages long, written in plain slightly legal English. It gives the agency exclusive rights to market my novel, and they get 15% commission. If they sell the book, and then I quit the agency, they still get their 15% on any continuing income from sales they made while I was a client. That's standard and sensible.

Either of us can terminate the representation with written notice. If we part company, any new stuff I write is of course none of their business.

So far I haven't heard anything, but any legitimate agency that only makes money from sales can't stay in business for long if they don't get results. They have been in business for 11 years, and prior to that (as it usually happens) the principal agent worked for another agency.

My agent was fairly optimistic that we'd have a sale this spring. I'm excited at the prospects, of course.

Brendacious
02-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Congratulations! Wonderful news! This is only my first log-in, but I want to add my congratulations.
Brendacious

Good Word
02-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Katdad,

Was this the only agency you submitted these manuscripts to?

katdad
02-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Katdad, Was this the only agency you submitted these manuscripts to?

No, this was the 3rd or 4th agency who had requested my complete first novel.

Dev
02-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Great going, Katdad!! Congrats!

katdad
02-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Great going, Katdad!! Congrats!
Thanks.

Now all I have to do is sit back and wait for the money to roll in. Then I can put my feet up and light my Opus with a ten dollar bill. (Yeah, right!)

katdad
02-27-2005, 10:25 PM
And what's the latest?

This past Friday I my agent said that he's in "close contact" with St. Martin's Press about my book. He has not received a formal offer but he's confident that something will occur fairly soon.

I'm also very lucky to have an "angel".

A few years ago I met and began a casual snail-mail and email acquaintance with a major private detective novelist -- one of the top authors in the genre.

In the course of our correspondence, I sent him (after he asked for them) a few small excerpts of my private detective writing, and he liked it.

He has graciously offered to read my galley proofs and provide a generous cover blurb for my book, when it is published.

As you know, having a cover quote from a major writer in the field will really help a new writer get some notice.

Maryn
02-28-2005, 12:47 AM
I just wanted to chime in that this is looking good, katdad--one of my few successful mystery-writing acquaintances is with St. Martins from her first novel and last I heard, has never looked back or wondered if she'd be better placed with another publisher. Apparently they treat her well enough. The only complaint I've ever heard her voice was not getting approval of cover art on the first book--there's a mistake any reader would catch. But in the big scheme of things, the goof hardly matters.

Maryn, crossing her fingers in your behalf even though it's totally killing my typing ability

katdad
02-28-2005, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping for some good news within the next few months.

Regarding cover art, my agent told me that if you have an idea or concept, and it's a reasonable one, you should promote it right away, soon as you sell your book.

Most publishers are amenable to the author's suggestions, just so long as the publishers learn about it early enough to factor it in.

That being said, they do maintain control over the cover art for most new writers. But that's a small price to pay.

Alphabeter
02-28-2005, 07:17 PM
If I start writing mysteries, I'm gonna strike up a correspondence with Katdad so he'll blurb for my book when he's all famous!

A :Sun:

katdad
03-01-2005, 07:55 AM
If I start writing mysteries, I'm gonna strike up a correspondence with Katdad so he'll blurb for my book when he's all famous!

I can be bought. Assuming that my books end up being reasonably successful (which is a HUGE assumption) then my glowing and lavish praise will be for sale to the highest bidder.

I envision making a small side income on this -- I'll be like those no-name and unknown movie critics who wax efflusive at some junk movie, and you see their names in the ads even tho you've never heard of them ----

"Stunning!" Max Sellerout, Oklahoma City Wednesday Shopper

"Best comedy of the year!" Julie I. Mbought, Fizzburg Idaho Doorstuffer

and so on.

The amount of praise I heap will depend on the bribe. I'll publish my rates on my website, too. (Hey, some agents charge for "top of the stack" readings so I guess I can get onto the gravy train, too).

Aside from raw cash, I'll accept vintage red Bordeaux wines and svelte redhead women (something about red things, I guess).

clotje
03-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Does mahogany red count??? Or do I need to dye my hair a deeper red? ;)

So....I won't need to fork out cash? Red hair is enough? ;)

*rubs hands together gleefully*

Joking aside, I visited your website, which looked really good. I'm sure you're going to be a huge success.
Remember us when you're on Oprah :Hail:

MarkEsq
03-01-2005, 07:36 PM
katdad,
I just joined this site - heaven knows how I didn't stumble across it months ago. Anyway, just wanted to say congrats. I'm a few miles north of you, in the shiny city of Dallas where my own murder/mystery is set, and I'm a few steps behind on the agent trail. So far a couple have responded positively to my query letter and now it's a matter of them realizing how brilliant my work is. Ahem.
Anyway, congrats again, maybe we'll bump into each other on our book tours of Texas... :)

katdad
03-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Does mahogany red count??? Remember us when you're on Oprah

Any shade of redhead is fine, but she must be a natural. And there are ways of finding out -- heh heh

Oprah? Eeek! First of all, my book would never make it there, as it's the furthest thing from a feel-good story you'll ever read. Nasty, blood, bad stuff all thru it.

And although I think she's a good person and all, Oprah and I are a galaxy apart on most anything you can name.

The Oprah fans would run screaming if they were to essay to read my serial killer "The Slicer" crime scene chapter. Not to mention the steamy shower scene chapter. yowza.

But I get your drift. I'll settle for being a nominee for the Shamus awards. But I'm not holding my breath. We gotta sell the book first. Sigh.

katdad
03-03-2005, 04:09 AM
Anyway, congrats again, maybe we'll bump into each other on our book tours of Texas... :)

Thanks.

Speaking of book tours, Robert Parker is in Houston this weekend, doing a signing of his latest Spenser novel. I'm gonna go over there and hassle him...

"Hey, Parker! Wanna go out in the parking lot and box?"

clotje
03-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Any shade of redhead is fine, but she must be a natural. And there are ways of finding out -- heh heh

Oprah? Eeek! First of all, my book would never make it there, as it's the furthest thing from a feel-good story you'll ever read. Nasty, blood, bad stuff all thru it.

And although I think she's a good person and all, Oprah and I are a galaxy apart on most anything you can name.

The Oprah fans would run screaming if they were to essay to read my serial killer "The Slicer" crime scene chapter. Not to mention the steamy shower scene chapter. yowza.

But I get your drift. I'll settle for being a nominee for the Shamus awards. But I'm not holding my breath. We gotta sell the book first. Sigh.

Damn, so I have to start dying all of my hair, all of it?!?!? :D

The slicer?? I like that man already. :D

You might be surprised, maybe some Oprah fans are as blood thirsty as we are. Ehm... I mean you are. ;) ;)

My serial killers are the nicest men around....honestly....

I don't have any steamy shower scenes though....I knew I was forgetting something....:Smack:
I have however, in my completed MSS, a few of these ->:whip:

katdad
03-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Damn, so I have to start dying all of my hair, all of it?!?!? :D
I have however, in my completed MSS, a few of these ->:whip:

Or dyeing.

And if you have certain, ahem, features in your manuscript, maybe your protagonist and mine can get together for fun & games sometime? ha ha

You're welcome to email a couple of your more interesting chapter excerpts to me, and I will recip with the "Slicer" chapter, and maybe even a steamy shower scene chapter.

sam@waas.us