Evelyn

I'm writing!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gailbridges.com
Hello Fellow AW Writers,

I am venturing out of the Blue Light District (where I usually hang out) to introduce myself and ask all of you for a bit of advice and hopefully some discussion. Many months ago I submitted a proposal for a workshop for the Emerald City Writer's Conference (RWA affiliated) in Seattle...and it was accepted! The conference is now only six weeks away. I taught a class last year, and it was a great experience and I got good feedback.

The title and a short description:

A Delight for the Senses -

All good writing has one thing in common: it draws us in and invites us to be part of the action. Have you ever read a good book and felt like you were right there, looking over the character’s shoulder? Did your heart race? Did your skin crawl? How did the author do it? One answer (among many) is that he or she has engaged your five senses as a powerful storytelling device.

In this workshop, we will look at examples of such writing. With plenty of audience participation, we will see how various authors achieve their goal of including the senses; take note of what works and what doesn’t. You can do it too! We will take out pen and paper and do several small exercises, then we’ll break into small groups and share our writings in a supportive, fun environment.

I've put a lot of work into this class, I'm excited about it, and now I'm looking for some outside input to augment what I've done already. I would love to hear other takes on this subject. I'm especially interested in your thoughts about writing that engages the senses, and authors who you find to be amazing at this.

Is this something that gets discussed in MA programs? What do you do in your own writing?

Things are pulling together...I'm confident this will be a successful class...the only thing I've found to be hard is locating some knockout samples.

Thanks!

Evelyn

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Many times it's not a consistent engagement of the senses, rather the engagement occurs at the right moment to pull the reader in to the story. Some little thing that makes you laugh, or cringe, or sympathize with the characters. I suppose what I'm trying to convey is that judicious use of this sensory ploy can be more effective than constant use.

There's a book that I read twenty years ago. The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett. Early in the book she deftly described a scene that had me laughing, and entranced by how I could nearly hear and see it unfold. That scene hooked me, even though the MC was infuriatingly opaque. Humor was sparse, but the original scene was followed by others dealing with different emotions, in critical junctions, that kept me glued to the series. Constantly engaging all the senses would exhaust the reader. Judicious use of that technique was more thrilling than a giant roller coaster.

Last edited:

Evelyn

I'm writing!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gailbridges.com
Thank you, Synonym. I think that is an excellent point! I'll work that into my talk, for sure.

I'm going off to Amazon right now to see if I can find The Game of Kings. Thank you for the suggestion.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
You're in for a treat and a slog, then. Dunnett's two series 'Lymond' and 'Niccolo' are massive historical fiction with an edge of magic realism.

True. It's not a quick read, by any means. However, I've read through both series at least twice. Either that's a sign that they were well worth the effort, or I need to get a life. :flag:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
True. It's not a quick read, by any means. However, I've read through both series at least twice. Either that's a sign that they were well worth the effort, or I need to get a life.

Which comment brings up a point I feel needs to be made: Just because something isn't a "quick read" by no means means it isn't rewarding to read. And just because something IS a "quick read" doesn't mean it's worth a damn.

some of the most rewarding works I've ever read took me significant time to read. Why? Because they were filled to the brim with wonderful stuff.

caw

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
In my own defense, I was responding to the 'slog' description. I've devoured many weighty tomes in my day, due to the fact that they were indeed filled with wonder.

Currently trying to find the time to re-read that...hmmm, what was it? Quirky characters, lots of battles. Oh yeah. That Erikson guy and his Malazan Empire stuff. Sounds like a good way to spend the winter months.

ETA: Once I pry about half the books away from my oldest son. We've been sharing them back and forth since he first discovered them.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I think this has a lot of what showing is vs. Telling. Showing the reader how it feels. I agree it can't be overdone or it will be too bogged down with it and will lose the reader.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I would say that Joann Harris is masterful at engaging the senses, sometimes in ways opposite of what would be expected. Taking a pleasant smell, for example, and equating it with something unpleasant. Of course, she's also excellent at taking a pleasant smell and making it practically erotic. :)

The Five Senses "rule" (I'm calling it that because I've seen it often enough in "how-to" advice for writing romance) is like any "rule"--more of a guideline, and sometimes romance writers exhibit a heavy hand with it. I can just see the editors notes: "Can we get some senses in here?" and every sense is addressed at once, in two sentences.

Obviously this technique is really important in writing romance (your audience for the conference) to create sensual depth. I think in teaching about it, it's important to also encourage subtlety in its use. As in real life, sometimes the most powerful sensory experiences are the fleeting ones. A whiff of an old, familiar smell, a sight you thought you saw but then is gone when you look again, the velvety feel of a leaf as the MC passes through a garden toward an assignation...

Dang, Evelyn, now I wish I was going to the conference!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One technique I use is to pretend my POV character is either blind or deaf. Besides what s/he sees and hears, what else does s/he experience as this scene plays out? I select some of that to add as sensory input.

I don't think the reader benefits from knowing how every scene smells or tastes, but there are times when I want the pervasive smell of Hershey, Pennsylvania's chocolate to be nauseating, or the scent of pine which seems so clean to contrast with the cabin interior destroyed by a trapped raccoon, like that. As an erotica author, I don't have trouble adding touch, although I prefer to personify hands, lips, etc. more than many publishers will tolerate. That may be worth a mention--some presses won't stand for sentences like Her hand stroked his hair, as if the hand acted of its own accord.

Maryn, whose fingers commit typos of their own accord on a daily basis

Evelyn

I'm writing!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gailbridges.com
Thank you everyone who has replied! I agree that the reader doesn't need to know how every scene smells or tastes. That would sure be annoying, wouldn't it?

In the workshop, I would love to talk about those authors who make you feel like you're there, right alongside the characters. I know I've read books like that, ones that draw me in more than others.

You know, I think Stephen King usually does a fine job drawing me in. I'll have to choose one of his books, maybe his short stories that aren't necessarily horror, and do some reading to see if and how he uses sensory things...

A good example might be "Mother of God" by Paul Rosolie, which I just read. It's about his experiences in the Amazon jungle. He did an admirable job of sucking me in so hard to his jungle world that I could almost hear the animal sounds and feel the rains and smell the smoke of his campfires. All this, and I'm still finding it difficult to find a "perfect" passage from the book to share with the class to demonstrate how he does it. Yikes, this is harder than I'd thought.

Thanks again. Y'all are great.

Evelyn

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Evelyn, may I suggest that you pick a passage that is so devoid of 'engaging the senses' that it shows what you're trying to say? It shouldn't be too tough to write up a short paragraph, with and without, to make the point.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really pay that much attention, though I always think I should. I rarely notice how things smell in my normal life, unless it's particularly strong, so I never think to include those descriptions in my writing. Similarly, I can't remember any times in which I've noticed an author telling me how something smells.
Then, I'm not very descriptively minded in general.

nastyjman

not nasty at all
Registered
Reaction score
There was a scene in Nabokov's Pnin where Pnin was watching his friend catching butterflies by a shallow brook. I need to reread it again, but I remember the passage vividly as if I was there. The sense that evoked that scenery was the sound of the brook, the sough of the wind, and the splashing of feet. Sound was the dominant stimulus in this scene, but just evoking sound alone brought a deluge of stimuli for the other senses.

It's a hypothesis, and I'd like to look into how other writers handle the engaging of senses. I think that engaging all of them might be too much or unnecessary, but I could be mistaken on that.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
For anyone who wants to effectively expand sensory information in their own writing, I would highly recommend reading A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman. It's a sensual feast all on its own, and you'll never see the five senses the same way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.