Why do agents switch agencies?

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
This isn't a pressing question, but something I've wondered about. Why do agents switch agencies? I have assumed that agents are pretty much lone wolves, managing their own client lists while sharing some resources with the agency. Maybe they share ideas and contacts and possibly manuscripts, but they don't really work on team projects in the way that lawyers do, for instance. I don't imagine that the pay is different from agency to agency, since the pay is based on their own sales. So why switch? And is it a bad sign if an agent has switched agencies a number of times?

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Why does anyone switch jobs? Money, hours, benefits, experiences, management, co-workers, boredom, etc etc etc

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
I can't say for certain, but I think it's probably twofold. The first is that they may just be tired of who they re working with, or feel like they'll never become more than the junior agent they are with the current firm.

The second is a matter of splits, and I'm basing this on other brokerage relationships I know about. If my agent sells my book, her agency - not her, specifically -- is entitled to 15 percent of the contract amount. But how much of that actually goes to my agent can fluctuate. An agent might be getting a 60-40 split with her current agency, and a new one offers her 75-25. Or if the agent works as an independent contractor, then the new agency might offer less monthly/yearly fees and might be more attractive. Or, as an agent matures, they might want less supervision, or feel like they need a different group of people to be around.

Or they might just need a change. But if I'm betting, I'm betting it's about the money.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. Why should anyone be stigmatised because they decide to switch their employer?

Connecticut Yankee

Registered
Reaction score
I have noticed that a lot of the agency switches I see, just to my eyes, appear to be from a smaller agency to a bigger one. Or at least to a more reputable/successful/famous one.

I am starting my search now and I started by looking at the best agencies and then finding the agent that seemed like the best fit from those agencies. Writer's House, Andrea Brown, etc. That way, even if your agent is newer they will have the big agency name behind them while shopping your manuscript.

I'm sure things like commission splits, office location, coworkers, boss, etc, all come into play as well. If I were an agent I know I'd look to get to the most reputable shop I could over time to help draw the best clients as well as connect with the best editors.

But I truly know nothing about this. I have changed jobs twice in my 10 year career. The first was because my first company was in financial distress and the second was because my new boss was a clown that I couldn't work for in good conscience. So I'm sure the reasons for changes are as varied as the agents themselves.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It would only concern me if someone were switching agencies very frequently; that might indicate some sort of personality problem that was preventing them from settling in with an agency.

But even big, established agents move to different agencies - likely for some of the reasons mentioned above.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why do agents switch agencies?

Usually to get away from pesky writers. :)

Seriously, why did you change your last job? Move? Better money? Better advancement? Free WiFi? Better health insurance? Hated your boss? Company went under?

Agents, at least most of them, are people.

Jeff

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Could be something to do with the business philosophy or practices of the firm aren't as good a fit as somewhere else. Could be the proximity of the office to the agent's home or whether the office culture is amenable to them working from home a lot (could be an issue if someone is a parent or has a second job). Could simply be about how well they click with other people in the office. Could be about having someone else in the same office who overlaps so much with their tastes they're always competing for clients. Could be wanting to work in a larger setting with more office staff, or a more intimate one. Could be the size or decor of one's office, or the office dress code. Maybe there's simply a philosophical outlook they share or don't share with the office culture in one place or another.

I suppose if an agent switches agencies a lot it could be a warning light that they don't get along well with others or (if they haven't made any sales) that they might not be good at keeping up with things. But I'd be more worried about how good they are at selling their clients' work and at making their clients happy.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Also some agencies are bigger than others, have bigger reputations, better connections (not just with local publishers but foreign ones too and film/TV divisions that are extremely savvy - some have relationships with specific agencies in L.A. etc). Not all agencies are equal.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I guess my question would be: does switching agencies affect the agent's clients? Who are the authors actually clients of — the agent or the agency (or both... which I assume may involve some major negotiating if an agent wants to leave with a stable of top selling authors).

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It can vary and depends on the agent and agency. My agent switched to another agency and took me and her other clients with her (ETA: she asked us if we would go with her, she didn't make us nor were we obligated to. We chose to go with her). However all the books sold through the old agency remain with them and now I have an agent who reps me there and those works. Which is kind of great because I also really liked my old agency. I'm sure there might be some situations where the author is technically repped by the agency not the agent and therefore can't go with the agent, but most of the times I've heard about the agent is kind of like an independent contractor who works at the agency. A bit how many stylists rent chairs at hair salons but ultimately if they move their clients go with them.

Last edited:

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
I was asked to come along; I had to send a letter to the old agency terminating our old contract and sign a new one with the new agency. No one from the old agency contacted me about staying, so it was an easy decision, Plus, I think my agent is awesome, so I would have followed her anywhere.

It was a little unnerving, because the old agency was bigger and more prestigious. But the owner of the new agency sent me a nice letter welcoming me aboard, and everything seems very nice. Since I'm unpublished, so I doubt there was a big fight for my book at the old place, but it was nice to feel wanted.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Also some agencies are bigger than others, have bigger reputations, better connections (not just with local publishers but foreign ones too and film/TV divisions that are extremely savvy - some have relationships with specific agencies in L.A. etc). Not all agencies are equal.

True. For instance, agencies often work with specific overseas agencies when contracting for foreign rights on behalf of one of their clients. And an agent within an agency might work with others in the same organization who have specific areas of expertise when they're negotiating audio book deals or something like that.