Latin translation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'm trying to develop a motto for a private boys' school. It needs to have something about being tempered (like, strengthened) in the name.

Is "Per cognita temperavit' in any way an adequate translation of "Tempered Through Learning"? Is there any better Latin phrase that would use the word "tempered" in a similar way?

Does anyone study Latin anymore? Hopefully, yes...

Thanks for any help!

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if the following is better so much as different (it's over a decade since I studied Latin, and I was *ahem* never a Classics superstar), but what about...

Moderor/moderari - restrain, check, manage, govern, guide, etc. That might be one alternative to tempero/temperari.

Actually, as you referred to being strengthened as a synonym for tempered, rather than being moderated, how about...

Firmo/firmare - not a very 'interesting'-sounding verb to me personally, but it means strengthen, support, fortify, (of mind) encourage, steady. Maybe that's the sort of thing you're going for?

And I know you didn't ask about the 'learning' bit, but might I suggest doctrina or eruditio? Just as options - I'm not sure how you want the motto to sound or to look (like on a school badge), for example, or if you want it to be something that the pupils can use as a basis for a similar-sounding but silly/indecent version of the school motto, in the way that schoolboys might do. Like substituting latrina for doctrina - ah, what highbrow humour I go in for...

Anyway, I'm sure others will be able to offer further options for you to consider! :)

Robert Dawson

Getting The Hang Of It
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cs.smu.ca
People called Romanes they go the house?;)

Anything ending in "avit" is a past tense - as in "the smith tempered the blade." You're looking for a perfect passive participle "the well-tempered blade."
Also, I don't think "temper" in the metallurgical sense can be translated by "temperare" which has the meaning of "control, moderate." I think the correct word here is "induro." So "indurati" (masculine plural form, of course... if it was a girl's school it would be "induratae.") This is still clearish to an English reader by analogy with "durable", "endure," etc.

"Learning" - If this is meant to be clear to the reader, "eruditio" is probably the best. "Per" takes the accusative, so "per eruditionem." "Disciplina" and "doctrina" would both be correct translations too. They seem more school-mottoish but readers will misinterpret them slightly - but possibly in a way that suits the school. "Per disciplinam indurati" has military-academy overtones, not invalid if we assume the founders too spoke English. "Per doctrinam indurati" would suggest (again, to an English speaker) a school with, at least, an active chapel.

So, "Per eruditionem indurati," "per disciplinam indurati," or "per doctrinam indurati." Whichever works for you. The word order and lack of a verb ring completely true, by the way.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean "tempered" or "hardened"? Many people misunderstand the process of tempering steel. But I think that Dawson did a good job translating.

Ariella

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that when the adjective durus and its cognates are applied to people, they mean hard in the sense of rough, uncultivated, unfeeling, stern and inflexible. Possibly not what a private school is aiming for. I think temperati is still the word you want. It means moderated, regulated or restrained, but has at its root the idea of tempering something or mixing ingredients in due proportion.

For added sophistication, put the noun in the ablative case. Thus Eruditione temperati (tempered by instruction) or Sapientia temperati ​(tempered by wisdom).

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Excellent information, guys - thanks!

I think I will go for the "moderated" version of "tempered" - I want to set up some thematic extremes, like justice tempered by mercy, etc., so the moderation idea is a good one.

Robert Dawson

Getting The Hang Of It
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cs.smu.ca
I'd rather have my kids at a school using temperati, for sure! I had assumed that the original question was deliberately indicating a somewhat dystopic school where "hardening" was the desired outcome. Should have asked, I guess. Mea culpa.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'd rather have my kids at a school using temperati, for sure! I had assumed that the original question was deliberately indicating a somewhat dystopic school where "hardening" was the desired outcome. Should have asked, I guess. Mea culpa.

I see what you did, there!

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Damn, we've got some latin scholars in the house!
:e2dance:

I think I might be okay with "tuned" as well, really - strength tuned by compassion? That'd work...

virtus temperata a misericordia.

virtus means manhood, strength, courage, ability, worth, prowess, heroism, excellence, worth, moral virtue

Despite the 'us' ending it's a feminine noun hence the participle has to be temperata instead of temperatusEven though with the us.

'a'
means 'by' and 'misericordia' is ablative for compassion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.