I'm seriously thinking of quitting my job

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
More accurately, I've already decided to do it, but I'm thinking of just making it happen tomorrow.

I've been working in a supermarket since 2009. And while the hours (7:00-14:00) have been great for an aspiring writer I have just gotten really sick of the place. It doesn't suit my high-strung temperament and December is a nightmare. And as my mother pointed out, when you start seriously thinking of leaving a workplace you are tired of, the desire tends to magnify.

I do get a disability pension due to my Asperger's, and I live cheap due to having cheap tastes, so even if I only find a part-time job for now I would be all right. An opening might be available soon in the local library, which I have always felt would be the perfect job for me (aside from writing success). I'm also giving college some thought.

What's giving me pause is that, well, I have Asperger's and my instinct is always to be very responsible about every important decision and to have things figured out ahead of time rather than leap in head-first. But somehow I feel doing it this time might be really satisfying. And if I act fast I might escape the December hell, as a resignation takes three months to go into effect.

Thoughts? Opinions?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
are you ok without the income from this job?

and what does this mean,
as a resignation takes three months to go into effect.

you can't just give a few weeks notice?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it's best not to quit a job unless you have a new job lined up unless you do not rely on a job to live, in which case why have a job?

Connecticut Yankee

Registered
Reaction score
I would just make sure that some place in your mind you aren't counting on future income from writing to meet your basic needs. I sometimes fall into that trap but the odds are so low to get paid doing this, even for the most talented writers.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you've thought it through and are pretty sure this is the right decision. I'd say go ahead. It would be slightly wiser to get another job first, but you don't sound too worried about that, so I'd say go ahead and avoid the December rush. :)

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you just need a bit of a change in life. You mentioned college. What if you tried taking an online course in whatever you're interested in and see if that brings some refreshment? The job might not be the problem, you might just be going stir crazy.

On the other hand, quitting always feels good, and it's not like you couldn't get another similar job (or even the same one) if you wanted to down the line.

LSMay

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit like this at the moment. I had a couple of hard weeks and I started thinking, I don't actually have to be here. I don't need to put up with all this. There are plenty of other jobs that would be lucky to have me. But I'll be seeing out this year at least, because I need the money.

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes you just need to be brave and take the plunge. It is your life and if you can't stand the job you have, then quit. I lost my job back when the economy fell apart and eventually found a part time job. At first I didn't make enough to pay all my bills so I got rid of my car, TV, and etc and survived. Now after being there for six years I was offered full time, but turned it down because I love having a part time job. I love having all the time off to write. My best friend from college unfortunately has been working at a job she has hated for nearly 30 years, but is afraid to seek another job out of fear that she won't be able to get the same health insurance that she has with her current job. The problem is that the stress from her current job is killing her. I feel fortunate that I have been homeless before and having that experience makes moving on to another job not so scary.

If you plan to get a lower paying job, perhaps you can start by cutting your expenses first and learning to live with less money. Do not quit until you have a few back-up plans in place in case the Library job doesn't pan out. Plan for the worst case scenario that you can imagine happening.

Old Forge

one light burning for break of day
Registered
Reaction score
Can't remember the exact quote but Julia Cameron said something like 'jump, and the net will catch you...' ('The Artist's Way)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Since you expressed interest in going to college and in working at a library, how 'bout both at the same time? Start taking a few college classes, then apply for a job in the campus library! Seriously, it can be done: When I was in college back in the 1980s, most of the part-time library employees were students. If it turns out that you can't get a position in the library, most colleges and universities offer all kinds of other student employment opportunities, such as food services, bookstore, campus security, etc. I'm sure you'll find some kind of job that will bring in a few extra bucks for books, cool clothes, school supplies, and -- most important of all -- weekend money! :Thumbs: