A mind of its own

Stace001

I recently began my second novel, which started out as a bit of a drama, but now the story has taken over and it is becoming quite an intricate mystery. Has anyone else found this? That they've started a story as one thing and its become something completely different.
My first novel I found extremely difficult to write, constantly being bugged by writers block, but this one is very strange...I actually have to stop myself from spending all night in front of the computer. The ideas just won't stop pouring out. It really has taken on a life of its own.

katdad

It seems as though you've found your muse.

Myself, I'm constantly driven by ideas and story lines. For some reason I've never had writer's.......

(ha ha)

Seriously, when I am 'relaxing' and watching a TV show or movie, I can't sit still. I'll keep a notepad nearby. Or I'll have my laptop fired up and write while watching.

Maryn

Whoa!

Damn, that's impressive, writing while watching TV. I can't even have music with lyrics or I start writing what I'm hearing and the Muse stalks off in a huff.

Maryn

katdad

Re: Whoa!

Well, it has to be something semi-awful on TV. I use it as sort of background noise.

If there's a really good movie or ball game or whatever, I'll take a time out and watch.

Same for music. I can put on piano etudes or jazz and I'm fine, but if I put on opera I often drift into a sing-along with any baritone parts (I sing semi-pro classical operatic baritone), so I avoid opera if I'm writing intensely.

arrowqueen

If I'm off inside my head, I wouldn't notice a passing avalanche.

maestrowork

I can't think when I'm reading, watching TV or listening to music. The best time for me to think and have lots of ideas is when I drive. Long distance.