Agent commision for new writers?

poppyI

Registered
Reaction score
Do agents charge the same commission fee for all writers? I recently came across a website that stated commission fee 15% new authors 50%. I was shocked, is this similar for all agents??

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like bullshit to me. I'd run from that agent.

polleekin

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely bullshit. Standard commission is 15% for ALL clients. 20% for foreign rights because those are generally split with another agent.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Do agents charge the same commission fee for all writers? I recently came across a website that stated commission fee 15% new authors 50%. I was shocked, is this similar for all agents??

If an agency has this as a policy, RUN THE OTHER WAY. Fast.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was this an agency's website or was it one purporting to give general advice to authors? Either way, run because those numbers are BS.

poppyI

Registered
Reaction score
it was in general website and a couple of more agents had similar commissions or worse under new authors. If i find it i will post it here.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
The only thing I've seen remotely like that was not an agency, but a magazine or website, wherein a "new" contributor got 50% of proceeds and authors they've worked with before got a better percent. THAT would not be that unusual-- your fee improves as you turn in regular articles/writing pieces. Even book deals at series publishers like Harlequin, they often reward their regular writers with slightly better terms.