Post a free book on Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey44

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to post a series of free short-stories for a promotion platform. I can't find how to put up a free book. Each time I try, it tells me I can only choose $.99 cents as the lowest amount. BUT, I see free books often - any clue? Thanks

BTW: I'm not very tech-smart, so need a non-tech answer. thx

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This would be better answered in one of Amazon's forums, but the basic answer is you can't. You can post a book for 99 cents or higher and offer it free as a promotion with some of Amazon's programs.

If you want it always free, put it on your web site.

Jeff

monkey44

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks - I thought I was just missing some way -- I see a lot of free books there, so am a bit puzzled. I did ask on Amazon forum, and will give it free on my website. But my idea was to give it away on Amazon, and gain promotion platform. Maybe will put it up for $.99 and give it free for first five days - then at least it may help. Was hoping to get some 'nominations' on a Kindle Scout novel, but only have nineteen days ... novel is here free if anyone wants to help and get a free e-copy. thx BD

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
People make things permafree by having them free at other retailers, then reporting themselves to Amazon on the basis that the book is cheaper elsewhere. It's not something I've done, but that's why you see some things that are always free. I'm sure if you ask in the self-publishing forum/get this moved over people who have tried it can tell you about it.

Your big issue with free is there is a lot of free stuff. It can be hard to persuade people to download a book, even when it's free. I doubt you'd manage to get enough momentum on the shorts to make a difference in nineteen days.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Your big issue with free is there is a lot of free stuff. It can be hard to persuade people to download a book, even when it's free. I doubt you'd manage to get enough momentum on the shorts to make a difference in nineteen days.

This is very true, besides which conversion rates aren't as efficient as they used to be. I get one sale of my other books for every 100 downloads of a permafree short story.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can get it posted for free for a limited time as a promotion if it's exclusive to Amazon(That's the way it was the last time I did it). That or you can try the price match way where if it's free on another vendors site there is a report link on the page for the book on Amazon near the bottom. You give them the link to the free book. At times they will match it or not. They're seems to be no rhyme nor reason for when they honor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.