Querying agents who read full MS last time around

diana86

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianaurban.com
Hello!

I recently parted ways with my agent and am starting to query a new project. I'd like to query some of the agents who read the full for my last project. My querying experience last time happened way too quickly. I got an offer within a week, and had five offers by the next week. At the time I was thrilled (and you're probably thinking, "oh, shut up"), but I did not query intelligently. I was so new to the publishing world I had no idea who to choose, and I hadn't even queried a few of my top-choice agents yet. By the time I had offers, other agents rushed to read and stepped aside after reading the full with SUCH kind words, things like they were sure it was going to sell, or they couldn't wait to see my book on the shelves, or they loved the book but it's just not right for their list at this time.

Unfortunately, I made a bad decision, and either because of this or not, my book didn't sell (which as you can imagine, after this initial rush of enthusiasm, was pretty devastating).

Now that I'm more well-versed in literary circles and I know who I want to land as my agent, I know that some of these passing agents are my top choices. So my question is: when I query this time around with my shiny new manuscript, should I bring up my last book in the query? Should I remind them of their kind words from last time around? Or should I even reply to their final email from last year with an update that I have a new project I'm querying? The thing is, I also believe that my last project could sell if I had the right agent. And if they already loved that book, maybe they could take it on now after all. Obviously I want to focus on this new project, but I thought if they already liked my writing style, it could help to bring it up. What do you think?

Thanks in advance! :)

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
It never hurts to bring up the fact that they've already read and loved your writing. Maybe just a brief sentence at the beginning of your query mentioning that they read your previous MS (including the title) and thanking them for their insightful/encouraging/helpful notes on it. They'll probably remember you and be excited to see the next thing if it's something they represent.

Last edited:

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd mention it. I have mentioned previous full requests and it seems to help (even if it just means a personalized query rejection!). I usually just say, "[Last year], you requested my manuscript TITLE. I really appreciated your comments about [something specific]. I hope you will be interested in my new manuscript, TITLE."

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I did mention it. Most of those agents still rejected me (usually with some kind personalization), but one of them is now my agent.

Good luck!

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Definitely mention that they were interested. Also, chances are they remember you anyway--at least that was the case with many of the agents I requeried for various books.