PDA

View Full Version : It's VOTE_BOT's Spectacular Poetry Contest Poll!

VOTE_BOT
08-30-2015, 01:22 AM
Responses are anonymous and the data will only be used as a snapshot of community opinion and, maybe, a little bit later on to determine who will be sold off for scientific experiments. But (mostly) just the first one (for now).

Thank you for participating in the poll.

Sophia
08-30-2015, 01:49 AM
No Eggplant, no Orlando, no vote, eggy!

Magdalen
08-30-2015, 01:53 AM
Also, there's a typo in the first option, so I think I should wait to vote. Later. Not now...

CassandraW
08-30-2015, 02:04 AM
No Eggplant, no Orlando, no vote, eggy!

VOTE_BOT is not programmed for any of that.

Kylabelle
08-30-2015, 02:26 AM
"I am contest entrant" perfectly good words. No typo.

CassandraW
08-30-2015, 02:29 AM
We must remember that he is a robot.

Stew21
08-30-2015, 02:45 AM
I'm not allowed to vote.
That makes me Spartacus.

Haggis
08-30-2015, 02:55 AM
I'm not allowed to vote.
That makes me Spartacus.

We're all Spartacus.

Kylabelle
08-30-2015, 02:56 AM
We are all Spartacus.

You know, like the poem goes:

"I am Spartacus.
Are you Spartacus too?"

And then something about a frog.....

Sophia
08-30-2015, 02:05 PM
We must remember that he is a robot.

And Russia's greatest love machine.

kennyc
08-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Unfortunately I am not Spartacus and none of the other choices apply. :(

poetinahat
08-30-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm a Pepper

CassandraW
08-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately I am not Spartacus and none of the other choices apply. :(

How could this be?

I don't think you're a poetry forum mod and you are an AW member in good standing, so you are eligible to vote.

Either you are or are not a poetry forum regular. You either did or did not enter the poetry contest. You either did vote, may vote but haven't yet, or do not plan to vote. All of those options are covered by the poll.

The only possibility I see, theoretically, is that you are not a poetry forum regular, but did enter then contest, and you have not yet voted. Even so, the "I'm not a poetry forum regular and I haven't voted yet" option still applies, although it may not fully encompass your position. (And of course, you aren't eligible for a prize unless you do vote, which would make entering a waste of your time.)

Perks
08-30-2015, 09:04 PM
Is it time to kick the baby?

Ambrosia
08-30-2015, 09:11 PM
(And of course, you aren't eligible for a prize unless you do vote, which would make entering a waste of your time.)
Still time to vote, so that last conclusion may not be accurate.

Is it time to kick the baby?

What did the baby ever do to you?

CassandraW
08-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Still time to vote, so that last conclusion may not be accurate.

Well, yes. But if you still plan to vote, and haven't done so, you have two poll options. You just have to clarify whether your are a poetry forum regular or not. (You might be a non-regular who entered the contest, plans to vote, but has not done so. Option 6 works.)

What did the baby ever do to you?

It was born.

Priene
08-30-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm a Poetry Forum Irregular and I've forgotten whether I've voted.

CassandraW
08-30-2015, 09:30 PM
Then we shall kick you.

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 07:28 AM
I knew sooner or later someone would choose "I have no interest in poetry."

Of course, that does make me wonder what he or she was doing hanging out in the poetry forum (as he or she must have been to see this poll).

I assume it's because we're so good looking.

shakeysix
08-31-2015, 07:38 AM
Silly robot, I am Spartacus! And no, I have not voted yet. This is a lot like grading papers and remember, I am retired from that crap job. BUT I will think about it tomorrow. Wait! I'm not Spartacus, I am Scarlet! --s6

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 07:55 AM
Silly robot, I am Spartacus! And no, I have not voted yet. This is a lot like grading papers and remember, I am retired from that crap job. BUT I will think about it tomorrow. Wait! I'm not Spartacus, I am Scarlet! --s6

Pfft. We know you're just here for the sex, s6.

Magdalen
08-31-2015, 06:59 PM
I am contest entrant and I have voted.

I have no interest in the poetry or the contest.

Mod, Please fix. Typo's make my blood boil and I can't vote when my blood's boiling!!!

Kylabelle
08-31-2015, 07:26 PM
I am contest. Poetry is no interest in me. Voted is interest. Contest is member. Member voted no. Yes.

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 07:34 PM
Respect your fellow robot, Kyla.

Kylabelle
08-31-2015, 07:47 PM
Poetry has no respect. Is voting.

Maggie Maxwell
08-31-2015, 07:56 PM
I knew sooner or later someone would choose "I have no interest in poetry."

Of course, that does make me wonder what he or she was doing hanging out in the poetry forum (as he or she must have been to see this poll).

I assume it's because we're so good looking.

I've heard rumors of a strange egg-shaped creature of a metallic nature kidnapping people and dragging them into the poetry forum, locking them in and reading them poems about space until their sanity collapses. Their screams still echo in the deepest reaches of the secret basement.

Or maybe he/she just uses the "New Posts" section and was curious about the thread.

But I think it's that first one.

Also I'm totally Spartacus.

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 08:01 PM
I've heard rumors of a strange egg-shaped creature of a metallic nature kidnapping people and dragging them into the poetry forum, locking them in and reading them poems about space until their sanity collapses. Their screams still echo in the deepest reaches of the secret basement.

Or maybe he/she just uses the "New Posts" section and was curious about the thread.

But I think it's that first one.

Also I'm totally Spartacus.

I don't think the person was simply perusing the "new posts" feature -- I've checked back with this poll periodically, just out of curiosity, and mentally noted how many had voted in it. The 18th vote was the "I have no interest in poetry" vote, and unless I am mistaken (which, of course, is not possible), it came several hours after the last post, long after this thread had been bumped off the new posts page. That's why I found it interesting.

Maggie Maxwell
08-31-2015, 08:58 PM
I don't think the person was simply perusing the "new posts" feature -- I've checked back with this poll periodically, just out of curiosity, and mentally noted how many had voted in it. The 18th vote was the "I have no interest in poetry" vote, and unless I am mistaken (which, of course, is not possible), it came several hours after the last post, long after this thread had been bumped off the new posts page. That's why I found it interesting.

Depends on when they were last here. New Posts shows all the posts since the individual last checked in and refreshes after 30 minutes or so after your last activity, so you can have "New" posts from yesterday or two days ago on your own if you haven't been here since there or for several hours if you've been active the whole time reading threads and whatnot (New Posts is the only way I browse the forum).

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 09:05 PM
I checked in a couple of hours after my 1:30 post yesterday. There were 17 votes, none of which were for "I have no interest in poetry" at that time, and this thread was no longer on the new threads page. No further posts occurred that would have bumped the thread back onto the new threads page, but when I checked back late that night, there were 18 votes, including one for "I have no interest in poetry."

I'm observant, much too curious, and over-analyze everything. It is a curse.

Maggie Maxwell
08-31-2015, 09:08 PM
I checked in a couple of hours after my 1:30 post yesterday. There were 17 votes, none of which were for "I have no interest in poetry" at that time, and this thread was no longer on the new threads page. No further posts bumped the thread back onto the new threads page, but when I checked back late that night, there were 18 votes, including one for "I have no interest in poetry."

I'm observant, much too curious, and over-analyze everything. It is a curse.

But the new posts page is different for every person based their activity, is what I'm saying. So you saw no new posts because you'd been logged on still, while whoever voted "no interest" may have still had it because there were new posts since the last time they were here.

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 09:11 PM
But the new posts page is different for every person based their activity, is what I'm saying. So you saw no new posts because you'd been logged on still, while whoever voted "no interest" may have still had it because there were new posts since the last time they were here.

That cannot be. When I click on the "new posts" page, I see threads I have never looked at, in forums I never go into. The threads on top seem to be those with the most recent activity, regardless of whether I have dabbled in them or not. The threads I've been involved in are typically a good bit down.

my "settings" page is another story -- that reflects the threads I've participated in.

ETA:

Moreover, even if the "new posts" page did only reflect a individual's activity, my point would remain. I am interested in poetry and am subscribed to the thread, so of course I see the page. But this person is allegedly not interested in poetry. So why would the thread pop up on his individual feed?

ETA:

Sorry. I am also overly analytical and argumentative. It is a curse.

Maggie Maxwell
08-31-2015, 09:25 PM
That cannot be. When I click on the "new posts" page, I see threads I have never looked at, in forums I never go into. The threads on top seem to be those with the most recent activity, regardless of whether I have dabbled in them or not. The threads I've been involved in are typically a good bit down.

my "settings" page is another story -- that reflects the threads I've participated in.

Yep, New Posts is every single updated thread since the user was last active (after 30 minutes of inactivity). The only posts you don't see are posts in subforums that you aren't logged into. So the "I don't do poetry" voter would have seen the thread even if he or she never goes into the poetry forum, because people had posted in it since the last time he or she logged in/checked in and it showed up in their New Posts list.

If I log off at 9PM and come back at 10AM, going to New Posts will show me every thread that was updated between 9PM and 10AM. If you check new posts at 9AM, leave, and check again at 10AM, you'll have a different list than I will because you'll have only an hour's worth of updated threads while I'll have 12 hours worth.

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 09:36 PM
Yep, New Posts is every single updated thread since the user was last active (after 30 minutes of inactivity). The only posts you don't see are posts in subforums that you aren't logged into. So the "I don't do poetry" voter would have seen the thread even if he or she never goes into the poetry forum, because people had posted in it since the last time he or she logged in/checked in and it showed up in their New Posts list.

If I log off at 9PM and come back at 10AM, going to New Posts will show me every thread that was updated between 9PM and 10AM. If you check new posts at 9AM, leave, and check again at 10AM, you'll have a different list than I will because you'll have only an hour's worth of updated threads while I'll have 12 hours worth.

This is so utterly not worth explaining. But I just cannot help myself. It is a curse.

I happened to check into this thread HOURS after there had been no post in this thread, and at that time, that vote was not there. Meanwhile, at that time, there had been many posts in many other threads in many other forums. Therefore, at that time, this thread would not have been appearing on ANYONE's new post screen. (It was not on mine, by the way, even though I am subscribed to the thread. I enjoy checking the new post screen periodically to see if anything interesting is happening in a thread I'm not in, and as it happens, I checked it then.)

When I checked in again before bed at 11:30, there had been no subsequent post. Therefore, NOTHING happened in the meantime to put the thread back on ANYONE's new post screen between the two times I checked in. Yet a new vote was there, from someone who purported to have no interest in poetry.

Anyway. This is truly not worth the words. It is just something I happened to notice and found amusing.

Sophia
08-31-2015, 09:47 PM
I happened to check into this thread HOURS after there had been no post in this thread, and at that time, that vote was not there. Meanwhile, at that time, there had been many posts in many other threads in many other forums. Therefore, at that time, this thread would not have been appearing on ANYONE's new post screen.

It would appear on the New Posts lists of anyone who hadn't logged on at any point during the thread's existence. I was away for a few months, and used New Posts to show me all the posts I'd missed in that time, even those that weren't updated since the day after I took my break. The thread list can go back quite a long time, as I recall. (Check your personal settings for how long. Most people use the default, but you can change it.)

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 09:49 PM
It would appear on the New Posts lists of anyone who hadn't logged on at any point during the thread's existence. I was away for a few months, and used New Posts to show me all the posts I'd missed in that time, even those that weren't updated since the day after I took my break. The thread list can go back quite a long time, as I recall. (Check your personal settings for how long. Most people use the default, but you can change it.)

But how far up would it appear? Wouldn't it have to be pages back, behind all of the more recent posts?

Sophia
08-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Sure. But someone who was interested might still see it. I went through every page of results, and opened the threads I was interested in in their own tabs using the "Go to first new post" link. It's not a given that people only look at one or two pages of results, is it?

Maggie Maxwell
08-31-2015, 09:54 PM
This is so utterly not worth explaining. But I just cannot help myself. It is a curse.

I happened to check into this thread HOURS after there had been no post in this thread, and at that time, that vote was not there. Meanwhile, at that time, there had been many posts in many other threads in many other forums. Therefore, at that time, this thread would not have been appearing on ANYONE's new post screen. (It was not on mine, by the way, even though I am subscribed to the thread. I enjoy checking the new post screen periodically to see if anything interesting is happening in a thread I'm not in, and as it happens, I checked it then.)

When I checked in again before bed at 11:30, there had been no subsequent post. Therefore, NOTHING happened in the meantime to put the thread back on ANYONE's new post screen between the two times I checked in. Yet a new vote was there, from someone who purported to have no interest in poetry.

Anyway. This is truly not worth the words. It is just something I happened to notice and found amusing.

I understand your POV re: the humor of it. And our back and forth here did get me off my butt and get my vote in because if I can spend my time typing these posts, then I can vote, right? So something came of it, something being 6 points spread around between three poems.

But for the record, the New Posts feature will show up to 500 threads (20 pages worth at 25 threads per page) that were updated since the last time the particular user checked in. Your last post here before the 11:30PM one was at 1:30PM. So if the voter in question hadn't visited AW since before 1:30, this thread would have been on their personal New Posts list as long as their weren't 500+ other newly updated threads. Believe me, I only use the New Posts section to read the forums. I know you know A LOT more than me about a number of topics and I have nothing but respect and admiration for you. I just have no life and spend too much time figuring out how various aspects of websites work.

But this is a really stupid thing for us to be arguing about when people should be reading and voting on poems. :) So here I surrender.

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Sure. But someone who was interested might still see it. I went through every page of results, and opened the threads I was interested in in their own tabs using the "Go to first new post" link. It's not a given that people only look at one or two pages of results, is it?

True. But this person claimed not to be interested. Yet he scrolled several pages of results, clicked on a thread on a subject matter that failed to interest him, and voted. Maybe it is me. I would never have gone to so much trouble, however bored I might be.

I suppose perhaps he might simply be deeply interested in polls, regardless of the subject matter.

No biggie. 'tis a silly thing to argue about. It just amused me.

Maggie Maxwell
08-31-2015, 09:57 PM

This is exactly what I do every morning. :) Usually 6 to 7 pages of threads to scroll through. And yeah, I'm more likely to click poll threads, too. They're attention grabbers.

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 10:01 PM
This is exactly what I do every morning. :) Usually 6 to 7 pages of threads to scroll through. And yeah, I'm more likely to click poll threads, too. They're attention grabbers.

Oh, my! You are far more ambitious than I am!

I check my subscribed threads page. If I have time on my hands, I take a glance at the new posts page, but I don't think I've ever bothered going past page one -- on random subjects, I'm really only interested if the conversation is hopping right at that moment. If I am really bored (e.g., on a tedious conference call or on a train), I'll take a look at the poetry forum and P&CE to see if anything interesting has happened there that doesn't happen to have appeared on the new posts page.

Maggie Maxwell
08-31-2015, 10:05 PM
Oh, my! You are far more ambitious than I am!

Nah, just no life. :greenie Pinterest and AW are my internet homes.

CassandraW
08-31-2015, 10:10 PM
AW is my only internet home. I'm not even on Facebook. Otherwise, I read the news, and that's about it. But I'm rather addicted to this place.

ETA:

This argument at least serves the purpose of keeping the poll on the top of the new posts page, where more people who are uninterested in poetry will see it.

Maggie Maxwell
08-31-2015, 10:23 PM
AW is my only internet home. I'm not even on Facebook. Otherwise, I read the news, and that's about it. But I'm rather addicted to this place.

ETA:

This argument at least serves the purpose of keeping the poll on the top of the new posts page, where more people who are uninterested in poetry will see it.

Yup! C'mon people, go vote!

VOTE_BOT
08-31-2015, 10:34 PM
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq291/whaskins/1410126232781743761_zps8gmyivls.gif

William Haskins
09-01-2015, 07:09 AM
if i'm reading this thread right, there's voting going on? is this correct?

thanks in advance.

CassandraW
09-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Really? I hadn't heard. Who told you this? Is he or she to be trusted?

Magdalen
09-03-2015, 06:18 AM
I voted since it appears the typos have been corrected. I was sadden to hear of VOTE_BOT's passing, but all things and all that...

Haggis
09-03-2015, 06:24 AM
I voted since it appears the typos have been corrected. I was sadden to hear of VOTE_BOT's passing, but all things and all that...

It appears he's been consumed by the lizard people.

CassandraW
09-03-2015, 06:27 AM
that kind of thing happens all the time in the poetry forum.

William Haskins
09-03-2015, 06:40 AM
we should reserve our sympathies for actual people, not some 5th grader's science fair project.

CassandraW
09-03-2015, 06:46 AM
As though we have any actual people around here.