Need help over here

huliab

Registered
Reaction score
This is the big question.... Does anyone have any information regarding "real" publishers or agents looking for self help or how-to life stories?? Well, I mean other than PA and NYLA??? Tks

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
You've dropped sort of a wide loop, there. What sort of self-help? There are many publishers who actively seek self-help, and publishers and agents who work with life stories.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific? What have you done by way of research, so far? What sort of manuscript are you looking to place?

huliab

Registered
Reaction score
The loop

I have researched tons of agencies and many that I found do not want to take on how-to's and life stories.
The manuscript is about my life as a paraplegic for the past 23 yrs now. It is a book of the tricks of the trade to make life easier and programs faster. It is a "way to cope". A great guide for families teaching independence with love. Something that rehab centers need. A book that abled bodied people need to read to understand who we are and how we are just like them, with a few quirks. I have worked all these years to stay healthy both mentally and physically.
I just can not seem to hit the right agent or publisher. It is out to about 250 publishers. Most write bk, "how-to, self-help and we do not accept". I can not find the right direction.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Ahh--more preliminary research before submitting is probably key, here. Find books that are similar to yours. Look inside to see who published them. Then research those publishers.

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Huliab,

Looking on my shelves, I know that Free Press, an imprint (division) of Simon and Schuster, publishes Dr. Phil's self-help books, and Broadway Books, an imprint of Random House, publishes Cheryl Richardson's self-help books. Simon and Schuster also publishes Bob Green's fitness books (not that I've actually used them :) ,

I hope this helps as a start,
Chac