PDA

View Full Version : Need help over here

huliab
04-13-2006, 03:49 PM
This is the big question.... Does anyone have any information regarding "real" publishers or agents looking for self help or how-to life stories?? Well, I mean other than PA and NYLA??? Tks

MacAllister
04-13-2006, 05:24 PM
You've dropped sort of a wide loop, there. What sort of self-help? There are many publishers who actively seek self-help, and publishers and agents who work with life stories.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific? What have you done by way of research, so far? What sort of manuscript are you looking to place?

huliab
04-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I have researched tons of agencies and many that I found do not want to take on how-to's and life stories.
The manuscript is about my life as a paraplegic for the past 23 yrs now. It is a book of the tricks of the trade to make life easier and programs faster. It is a "way to cope". A great guide for families teaching independence with love. Something that rehab centers need. A book that abled bodied people need to read to understand who we are and how we are just like them, with a few quirks. I have worked all these years to stay healthy both mentally and physically.
I just can not seem to hit the right agent or publisher. It is out to about 250 publishers. Most write bk, "how-to, self-help and we do not accept". I can not find the right direction.

MacAllister
04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Ahh--more preliminary research before submitting is probably key, here. Find books that are similar to yours. Look inside to see who published them. Then research those publishers.

Chacounne
04-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Huliab,

Looking on my shelves, I know that Free Press, an imprint (division) of Simon and Schuster, publishes Dr. Phil's self-help books, and Broadway Books, an imprint of Random House, publishes Cheryl Richardson's self-help books. Simon and Schuster also publishes Bob Green's fitness books (not that I've actually used them :) ,

I hope this helps as a start,
Chac