Is it OK to re-send a partial?

AmberBennington

Registered
Reaction score
I had an agent request a partial from me about 2 weeks ago, noting that she usually takes 4 weeks to respond back after I sent it her way. I really, really want to send her the newly-polished version of it. I thought I was ready with the other version, but changed a few things (most notably the leading paragraphs). Is this uncouth, or do you think it'd be OK to send the newer version her way?

Thank you for any input!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I had an agent request a partial from me about 2 weeks ago, noting that she usually takes 4 weeks to respond back after I sent it her way. I really, really want to send her the newly-polished version of it. I thought I was ready with the other version, but changed a few things (most notably the leading paragraphs). Is this uncouth, or do you think it'd be OK to send the newer version her way?

Thank you for any input!

Don't do that. It's not uncouth; it's unprofessional.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I think she will probably wonder why you hadn't polished it to the best of your ability before sending it to her. I know a lot of writers fiddle with their submissions after they start sending them out, but I don't think its good to draw the agent or editor's attention to the fact you weren't ready before sending.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't either. It's only been 2 weeks and she might be bothered by the fact you're emailing her again and with a new version. Give her time to read the ms and see what she thinks. You can maybe bring it up depending on her response.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Don't do it. The only time it's acceptable to do this is if you made major chances (switched tense, overhauled the plot, etc) for a good reason (contest or agent feedback, etc). Otherwise, as oceansoul said, it's going to make the agent wonder why your manuscript wasn't polished before you started querying.

AmberBennington

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, everyone. I will not be sending her the updated file.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
This is why you should never, ever tinker with your writing after you submit it. Either it's good enough as is, or you shouldn't have submitted it. In the future, once you submit something, don't even look at it again until you hear back. Spend your time working on something else.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There are times when it makes sense to revise after you've submitted, such as when you have received a Revise and Resubmit that you want to do or have received feedback from your subs that resonates with you. I wouldn't mess with a partial, but it's possible that a full request might be worth contacting about...maybe. I never have, despite some R&R situations. When I might: 1) if an agent rejected me and told me they were rejecting for the exact things I revised, I'd mentioned that I already revised it; 2) maaaaaybe if I was doing a status query at the appropriate timeframe and the revisions were already done. In the case that I would mention it, I would say that the changes were due to agent feedback (which would be true in that case). If she asks for a full and you made significant changes to the novel in between, I'd mention that then too.

This agent probably saw your leading paragraphs when you queried (most ask for a sample), and possibly has already seen them by now in your partial. It's not likely she's going to reject after asking for material based on that. It sounds like you just polished it, instead of making significant changes, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you get rejected and no reason is given, then just let it go.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Agent Hannah Bowman is discussing this very issue right now on twitter. Check it out!