I'm looking for some people with interesting opinions to answer a survey for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
As part as a unit about writing reports for university I have to write and collect responses for a questionnaire. My topic is fiction writing, plot structure, cliches and character development. If any of you have five minutes would you consider giving it a go? Because I would be super thankful and I would love to hear your opinions! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RMPC9B7

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can just pick plot or character. It's really not a one or the other thing. I have never heard of the seven plots, and that there are only seven. Can you tell us what they are? And I don't see the same problem you see with gender roles. That questioned seemed a bit dated. Plenty is written about strong women who save the day or whatever. I think there should be more diversity in both fiction and those who write it. That goes beyond what you seem to be asking.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can just pick plot or character. It's really not a one or the other thing. I have never heard of the seven plots, and that there are only seven. Can you tell us what they are? And I don't see the same problem you see with gender roles. That questioned seemed a bit dated. Plenty is written about strong women who save the day or whatever. I think there should be more diversity in both fiction and those who write it. That goes beyond what you seem to be asking.

I don't think the first question was written that well but what I was trying to say is that some stories have a weak plot but are held up my awesome characters, others have good plot and characters, some have good plot but bad characters.I'm just curious what it is that draws people in: a gripping plot or a character? like take Dexter for example, he's a very interesting character, but some of the plots of his books might not be that good. He holds those stories up by being interesting. What do you like to read? What do you think a writer should focus on more character or plot?

Also, I don't think gender roles is a problem, I don't have a problem with a hero saving the girl or winning the girl. It's just a bit old, a bit done, a bit over-used, and it's nice to see some stories reversing those roles and having a strong female save the man. The guy saves the girl is a predicable formula. And maybe a writer can make themselves stand out a little if they try to do something different.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
And not to pick nits, but how is this related to a technical, science, or business writing course? Plot and Hero's Journey are fiction and philosophy stuff.

I'm writing an instruction manual about plot and characters, how to map and structure a plot, and character growth. The questionnaire is a seperate assingment to the long report, but they recommended that I tied it in to the same topic. I basically have to write another report based on the results of this questionnaire and it should provide me with an insight about what people think about plot and characters and that can help me write my long report. My teacher approved the topic. I decided an instrutional manual was easiest because writing is an area where I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Strong x, saving weak y - why can't they be partners and work well together? Maybe have overlapping but not identical skills sets?

As a reader, what draws me in is good storytelling. So, character, plot, worldbuilding and prose - and how the story is told. It is not just plot, it is the order in which the story is told, the viewpoints and so on. Good storytelling is an ensemble art.

For me there is also liking the story/characters - not everyone likes the same kind of people. Not every book appeals to every person. It doesn't help with your survey, but personal taste is key here.

By the way, earlier I went to look at your survey and it was not working.

Last edited:

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have time to fill out the survey before, and now it's closed...

(Personally, the thing I have about flipping-gender-roles stuff is when they describe the heroine as "not your typical damsel-in-distress" or "a rebellious princess who'll save herself, thanks" because they just ooze "this girl is not like other girls". Since, you know, there's a right way to be female and damsels-in-distress aren't it! /sarcasm. Hate the trope, not the damsels.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy did a great job of inverting the gender roles without falling into that. And the female members of the Mysterious Benedict Society do a lot of rescuing too, since their ski sets are wildly different than the boys'.) /derail

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The survey is closed, so I didn't get to see it.

I don't like women who are written as cardboard "macho" dudes with boobs. But then, I don't like men who are written as cardboard macho dudes without boobs either.

What I do like are characters of all genders who are well-rounded, rich characters who have reasons for being the way they are. This can mean defying traditional roles and stereotypes in most ways, or embracing them in at least some. I've met very, very few men or women who are exact averages for their gender "norms," let alone extreme exaggerations of gender roles in all or most respects.

But I also dislike it when writers create female characters who deviate from tradition for no reason other than to put women in general down. When I was a kid, there were soooo many books where there was a lone female character who the boys liked because she was "as good as a real boy" at things that required courage and physical prowess, and it was kind of depressing, not only because they were labeled as "boy" things, but because the patent assumption was that the occupations and skills traditionally associated with girls are all inferior and useless.

Imagine a book where a boy is portrayed as cool because he's "as good as a real girl" at playing tea party or cooking or helping his mom around the house?

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

I've heard of seven plots, and eleven plots, and you pick the number, but four plots is far more common, has been around the longest, and I can't find a story that doesn't fit one of the four. "Sven plots" came a lot later, and has plots that all fit within the basic four. Man against man, man against himself, man against nature, and man against God.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of seven plots, and eleven plots, and you pick the number, but four plots is far more common, has been around the longest, and I can't find a story that doesn't fit one of the four. "Sven plots" came a lot later, and has plots that all fit within the basic four. Man against man, man against himself, man against nature, and man against God.

Okay, I can see how many stories can fall into those plots. Interesting. I think I write a lot of man-against-himself stories. Unintentional, but I think all my stories could probably fit one of these categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.