• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader wanted for first 3 Chapters of YA Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca Jay

In Perpetual Query Letter Hell
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I've been querying agents on and off for the past three years and have had no takers. Some only ask for a query letter and the first five pages, but some ask for as much as fifty pages. That's approximately the first three chapters of my manuscript. Maybe these chapters need a little something more. Maybe there's too much information crammed in those fifty pages. I'm not sure what could be so unattractive about the beginning of my manuscript. I need a third opinion. Here's a the query letter:
According to a witness, they heard a woman’s scream, the accusations of a drunken man, and gunfire. The house burned along with the evidence. What really happened is unclear, but one thing was for certain: Greg Wilson was dead.
His friends mourned, healed, and eventually moved on.
But not Katie.
Sure, she started Fae High and improved her Fire summoning skills. She caught the eye of Michael Earthline, the handsome and honorable leader of the Winged Riders. She became known as the only one of Queen Katery’s descendants who didn’t flaunt her ancestry to get attention and special treatment.
But Greg never left her.
The friend who had always looked out for her when he’d been alive seems to have stuck around to yank her out of harm’s way. And if he’s close enough to keep saving her, he’s close enough to talk to.
The only way to do that is to break the rules and delve into Dark Magic. But that’s okay, right? It’s just to say goodbye and tell him how she’s always felt about him. Then she can let him go and his spirit can rest. A Warlock in the book Katie read tried it and it worked for him. What could go wrong?
Another spirit could come through for starters. The spirit of a Minotaur tyrant bent on revenge could come back, and throw the peaceful isle of Ether into chaos. Tanna, who has been adamantly looking for a way to smudge some dirt on her perfect cousin’s name, could be presented with the perfect opportunity. Everyone could suddenly be in mortal peril because of this one choice.
But Katie goes into the forest anyway. And life will never be the same.

Please send me a private message if interested.
Thanks!

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! :e2cloud9: I don't have time to beta read right now, but I'll answer your other questions if you're up for it :Hug2:. I think the problem here, or at least the one I can think of right now that may be putting off all these agents, is the query itself. There's a thread on this forum that deals with queries and how to get them right and on their way to success. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?174-Query-Letter-Hell-SYW There, you can read other people's queries, see how they're progressing and learning as they do so. You can learn a lot just by seeing other people's works, seeing what works (for you - as a reader) and what doesn't. There are also lots of tips and helpful comments there, as well as wonderful people willing to take a look at your query to help you polish it. So yeah, I think the problem with the lack of interest in anything more than 50 pages might be the query you're sending out. At least up front, I've no idea about the MS, so I can't comment on that, but at least I can tell you this about it; it sounds like an interesting story from where I'm standing! :e2flowers Have a nice day now, and good luck! :)

Last edited:

Becca Jay

In Perpetual Query Letter Hell
Registered
Reaction score
I have wondered about my query...So far this is the best one I've written. I've also wondered if I'm querying the wrong agents. Maybe I should be more selective? Thanks for the advice! I'll check out the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.