Work in Spanish

elliemonroe

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a newbie and this is my first post. I think I have found a treasure here, with this website full of information!
I am writing from Spain. I can read English but my writing skills in that language are scarce, so please bear a little with me...
I am looking for a literary agent/agency in the U.S.A. which accepts manuscripts written in Spanish. My book is about a classic American movie.
Could you be so kind of give me a couple of names?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards

elliemonroe

Registered
Reaction score
emoticoncry.gif

Anyone?
Well, it's time for a change of strategy...
(opens an English grammar book): "I have, you have, he has..."
Hmmm... Maybe around 2020 I could have it translated by myself...lol...
I'll keep trying.
Regards.

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
I hope someone more knowledgable will reply, but as far as I know, agents or editors don't accept manuscripts written in foreign languages. I could be wrong, though. Spanish is big here in the USA, but still..... Have you thought of getting it professionally translated?

elliemonroe

Registered
Reaction score
Anya Smith said:
I hope someone more knowledgable will reply, but as far as I know, agents or editors don't accept manuscripts written in foreign languages. I could be wrong, though. Spanish is big here in the USA, but still..... Have you thought of getting it professionally translated?

Hello,
Thanks, Anya. Of course, I have in mind these considerations.
Yes, I'm saving to be able to translate my book with the help of a professional, but it's a... little expensive (60000 words).
Regards

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
elliemonroe said:
waylander said:

Hey, thanks again! Looks promising. I'll give her a try...
Keep it coming, please!
Regards

I think that agency still only accepts works written in English. You might be better off looking for a Spanish publisher in the USA - there must be many of them, considering the huge Spanish speaking population.

Most likely these publishers accept mss directly, without an agent.

elliemonroe

Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
I think that agency still only accepts works written in English. You might be better off looking for a Spanish publisher in the USA - there must be many of them, considering the huge Spanish speaking population.

Most likely these publishers accept mss directly, without an agent.

Thanks, aruna. That will be my next step. Any recommendation?
Regards

elliemonroe

Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
Here's an interesting article. Why not contact the publishers mentioned here?
http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6299148.html

Very interesting, thanks. I have bookmarked that page and I'll give them a try.
Unfortunately, it seems that many of the "big" publishing houses (Random, Harper...) work only with agents... so, without an agent who can read Spanish...
Hehehe, it's a "vicious circle" or, as we say in Spanish, "the hake that eats its tail"...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
elliemonroe said:
Very interesting, thanks. I have bookmarked that page and I'll give them a try.
Unfortunately, it seems that many of the "big" publishing houses (Random, Harper...) work only with agents... so, without an agent who can read Spanish...
Hehehe, it's a "vicious circle" or, as we say in Spanish, "the hake that eats its tail"...

I'm not sure if I read it right but I believe that only applies to translations form English to Spanish - ie, the author already has an agent for the English-language book, who sells the Spanish translation rights. It might be different for a book originally in Spanish. Why not just write them and ask; if they only deal with Spanish speaking agents I'm sure they'd give you a list of such agents.

Last edited:

LorenCobb

When it comes time to look for an English-to-Spanish translator, remember that there are many excellent professional translators in Latin America who will work for somewhat less than the US rate, because their costs are lower. My colleagues and I maintain a short list of translators that we have used with good results -- contact me for an up-to-date list with email addresses. Meanwhile, here are two that I trust absolutely:

Marciana Vivado de Kahl, Bolivia
http://www.un.org/other/afics/other_fafics.htm

Leonor M. Schoening, El Salvador
http://www.business-contacts.org/services/lschoening.php

I hope this helps!
Loren

elliemonroe

Registered
Reaction score
LorenCobb said:
When it comes time to look for an English-to-Spanish translator, remember that there are many excellent professional translators in Latin America who will work for somewhat less than the US rate, because their costs are lower. My colleagues and I maintain a short list of translators that we have used with good results -- contact me for an up-to-date list with email addresses. Meanwhile, here are two that I trust absolutely:

Marciana Vivado de Kahl, Bolivia
http://www.un.org/other/afics/other_fafics.htm

Leonor M. Schoening, El Salvador
http://www.business-contacts.org/services/lschoening.php

I hope this helps!
Loren

Hello,
Thanks, Loren. I'll keep those names present in case I decide to have my work translated from Spanish to English someday. I'm saving, too, because it seems a little expensive for me.
emoticoncry.gif

I received another rejection from an agent today. It seems that my work is good, but due to a "recesion in the market", publishers and agents prefer to deal with "sure things"
emoteHuh.gif

Regards.