PDA

View Full Version : Anime and Writing

Noizchild
08-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Anime has influenced my writing. I try to write in the style of manga and light novels. What about you? Who is with me? If not anime, what type of media influences your writing?

Liosse de Velishaf
08-21-2015, 07:56 AM
I occasionally come up with a project that resembles light novels/manga. Not commonly, though.

heza
08-21-2015, 06:55 PM
I have a reverse harem story floating around in my brain that I guess was inspired by anime.

I think, mostly, I write in the same flavor of the tv shows I watch. For example, I can see my scenes as a film and I try to capture that cinematic quality in my descriptions. But, at the same time, when I think about what an actual movie of my story would look like, I think it would be awful and all my stories should be adapted to television, either series or mini-series. I spread my story out a bit, I suppose.

Osulagh
08-21-2015, 07:12 PM
I started writing because of inspiration from anime, and I can't draw for a cheap doggy biscuit.

Reading my early stories, I was greatly inspired. But my newer stories aren't so much. My current writing have been compared to George R.R. Martin and Gen Urobuchi, just not with so much DESPAIR and KILLING, depending on who reads my stories. I'm sure this change has come about because I've read and watched different media and have looked at Anime/Manga/VN/LN stories in a general perspective, taking influence from them and other mediums such as western Fantasy novels on the same even ground.

I certainly wouldn't mind writing a Light Novel type of novellas with drawn pictures of certain events by hired artists. I think that's more of a path for self-publishing than anything, and more of an investment on top of that.

Fullon_v4.0
08-21-2015, 07:44 PM
My writing is HEAVILY influenced from Anime and Manga. In fact if it weren't for such creative story telling, I probably wouldn't have started writing in the first place!

Converting that into writing takes some thought. It can be tough making it appeal to the casual reader if too many tropes are included. Like, you can't have people do face plants during awkward turtle moments, but you can still give it that vibe with character descriptions and action sequences.

As fun as it is, I try to keep the balance between alluring casual readers and fellow otaku alike by not giving everyone a Japanese name. I noticed a lot of fellow anime inspired writers do that, and for some reason it turns me off...I think it's because when I read a book (unless it's about actual Japanese people, not aliens or whatever) it comes across as them trying to hard to bridge the gap between the two mediums.

When I read I try to picture it Anime style as well. If I can't, then the chances are I won't finish the book! But that's just me being picky :tongue

Jamesaritchie
08-21-2015, 08:04 PM
I hope my writing is only influenced by other good writing. I don't have time for media of any kind.

blacbird
08-22-2015, 03:52 AM
I'll betray my ignorance here: Does "influenced by anime" mean you're writing stories filled with characters with huge eyes and gaping mouth expressions?

caw

Noizchild
08-22-2015, 06:37 AM
I'll betray my ignorance here: Does "influenced by anime" mean you're writing stories filled with characters with huge eyes and gaping mouth expressions?

caw

Different anime tropes, themes, and the culture of Japan.

Samsonet
08-22-2015, 08:47 AM
I don't know if it shows up in my actual writing, but some of my stories are influenced by video games. I find them helpful for demonstrating critical thinking and neat plotting. (Seriously, if you want a plot twist, go play Ghost Trick. And then go play Mystery Room and any of the Professor Layton or Ace Attorney games, because they're super fun. ;P)

Mostly, though, my writing tends to be influenced by other writing. Oh! And music videos. King and Lionheart was really cool.

Noizchild
08-23-2015, 12:37 AM
I don't know if it shows up in my actual writing, but some of my stories are influenced by video games. I find them helpful for demonstrating critical thinking and neat plotting. (Seriously, if you want a plot twist, go play Ghost Trick. And then go play Mystery Room and any of the Professor Layton or Ace Attorney games, because they're super fun. ;P)

Mostly, though, my writing tends to be influenced by other writing. Oh! And music videos. King and Lionheart was really cool.

I love that song!

Melanii
08-23-2015, 10:05 AM
I watch anime a lot and play RPGs often - how can I even tell if I'm influenced by them? O.oa

Deepthought
08-23-2015, 09:17 PM
I generally try to analyze anime as I watch it, in order to take the good points from them. I really don't like the common archetypes at all, nor the predictable cheesy phrases, etc. There are some that really buck the trend though. There are a couple I have been influenced by, most notably Death Note. For one of my books, I tried to reverse engineer the recurring idea of one guy knowing that the other knows, and he knows that he knows, and how many layers of traps and deceit are there. But what I like most is how the viewer could have discovered the plans and the plot twists if only they were smart enough: all the clues and such are given for a deduction, but it just doesn't occur to the viewer until the characters display their utter brilliance. I try to emulate that aspect as well, although it makes writing more difficult.

Noizchild
08-24-2015, 12:37 AM
I watch anime a lot and play RPGs often - how can I even tell if I'm influenced by them? O.oa

Do you find yourself most of your stories set in Japan or most of your characters have Japanese names or Japanese?

I generally try to analyze anime as I watch it, in order to take the good points from them. I really don't like the common archetypes at all, nor the predictable cheesy phrases, etc. There are some that really buck the trend though. There are a couple I have been influenced by, most notably Death Note. For one of my books, I tried to reverse engineer the recurring idea of one guy knowing that the other knows, and he knows that he knows, and how many layers of traps and deceit are there. But what I like most is how the viewer could have discovered the plans and the plot twists if only they were smart enough: all the clues and such are given for a deduction, but it just doesn't occur to the viewer until the characters display their utter brilliance. I try to emulate that aspect as well, although it makes writing more difficult.

You have some good points there. I would like to know more the Death Note Influence.

Melanii
08-24-2015, 01:25 AM
Do you find yourself most of your stories set in Japan or most of your characters have Japanese names or Japanese?

No, because most of my works are high fantasy in which "Japan" doesn't exist. Plus, I think that's trying too hard to be "anime-like" as a white girl living in America. :P

Someone mentioned specific tropes, etc. What immediately tells me if something is anime is the title... They have... interesting names. XD

Deepthought
08-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Well, if you haven't watched Death Note, I highly recommend it. It's one of the greatest cat and mouse games I can recall, not just in anime, but in any medium. About the influence, I had watched and read other shows, which have regular stuff punctuated by unexpected twists. Death Note twisted every which way, punctuated by the occasional lull. I wanted something that not only changed continuously and rapidly, but also in a way that could really have happened in that world's universe and would be within the range of the reader knowing what could have been; that is to say, they could have theoretically deduced what was going to happen or how to resolve a dilemma. Also, my natural writing style is sparse on description and such; I like to write stories that are focused and move quickly, with only words that conjure images in the reader's mind rather than saying how something actually looks unless it is particularly relevant.

SomethingOrOther
08-24-2015, 11:10 AM
I hope my writing is only influenced by other good writing. I don't have time for media of any kind.

You're so cool!!!

Fullon_v4.0
08-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Someone mentioned specific tropes, etc. What immediately tells me if something is anime is the title... They have... interesting names. XD

That's one thing that makes me go "Uguuuuu"; when an author, clearly inspired by anime story lines, tries too hard with names. One of my favorite book series from my childhood was Broken Sky by Christopher Wooding. Excellent story, but all of the Japanese names set in a fantasy world felt out of place.

Melanii
08-24-2015, 07:54 PM
I loved Broken Sky! I still have books 1 & 2! XD

Fullon_v4.0
08-24-2015, 09:17 PM
I loved Broken Sky! I still have books 1 & 2! XD

Woooo! A fellow fan! I recommend it often xD I have them all in a bin in my mom's basement somewhere. I re-read the first three a few months back and fell in love all over again ;)

CheG
08-24-2015, 10:56 PM
Surprisingly I'm not as influenced by anime as one would expect. Though I love it dearly- from art style to story. But it's not really a direct influence on my writing. Though I'm not above throwing kitsune into a story... I feel like my approach to writing is simply more American. I didn't grow up with anime and manga. There was VERY little available when I was a kid.

BUT I have written graphic novels that are more influenced by manga. But somehow when it comes to prose I don't think in terms of "this would be a good anime". I think the structure is different as well and a good anime might actually make for a boring read.

Fullon_v4.0
08-24-2015, 11:17 PM
I think the structure is different as well and a good anime might actually make for a boring read.

That's a pretty interesting take on it. I think the shows with too much action would be painful books because there would be very little to read about as far as character development. Most of it would be fists flying. And what development actually occurs often happens all at once and takes an awfully long time to get to (Say, Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece).

On the other hand Sword Art Online was a light novel series to begin with, then they did the animation and manga. I guess it depends. I actually just bought the book and hope to dig into it tonight :D

The plots found in anime do tend to have more depth, and the characters tend to be more three dimensional (sorta funny saying that) than other visual arts. At the core it's those points that inspire writing than the big shiny eyes or colorful hair. At least that's what I think.

Noizchild
08-25-2015, 02:45 AM
That's a pretty interesting take on it. I think the shows with too much action would be painful books because there would be very little to read about as far as character development. Most of it would be fists flying. And what development actually occurs often happens all at once and takes an awfully long time to get to (Say, Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece).

On the other hand Sword Art Online was a light novel series to begin with, then they did the animation and manga. I guess it depends. I actually just bought the book and hope to dig into it tonight :D

The plots found in anime do tend to have more depth, and the characters tend to be more three dimensional (sorta funny saying that) than other visual arts. At the core it's those points that inspire writing than the big shiny eyes or colorful hair. At least that's what I think.

Don't forget manga. Nine times out of ten manga gives you more details.

Melanii
08-25-2015, 04:06 AM
I also noticed that they aren't afraid to push certain boundaries or have "over-the-top" villains. Does that make any sense? Also, I think anime/manga influences more of my art style and genre choice over everything else.

alvin123
08-25-2015, 07:37 AM
I'm haven't written anything anime-inspired but I do have short story series that I would love to see in anime/manga form. -_- Too bad I don't carry the drawing talent XD.

James Patterson actually got his Daniel X series and Max Ride series into manga adaptations. I finished the Daniel X Novel series and am looking forward to getting my hands on the manga version. I still have to finish Max Ride before going to the manga side.

Fullon_v4.0
08-25-2015, 04:15 PM
I also noticed that they aren't afraid to push certain boundaries or have "over-the-top" villains. Does that make any sense? Also, I think anime/manga influences more of my art style and genre choice over everything else.

I totally agree. They make them very over the top, which I feel converts to an interesting final confrontation at a book's climax if the recipe is followed correctly!

I'm haven't written anything anime-inspired but I do have short story series that I would love to see in anime/manga form. -_- Too bad I don't carry the drawing talent XD.

James Patterson actually got his Daniel X series and Max Ride series into manga adaptations. I finished the Daniel X Novel series and am looking forward to getting my hands on the manga version. I still have to finish Max Ride before going to the manga side.

I wish I had time to draw...I always wanted to do a web comic or graphic novel.

I read some of Max Ride and was curious about the manga adaptation too. I haven't even flipped through it though because I'm worried that it will wreck the character designs in my head!

Latina Bunny
08-25-2015, 06:44 PM
I've read the entire Broken Sky series long ago, but I can't remember much from it. All I can remember is that it was a fantasy about two siblings in a world where people gained powers from stones or something. I think the girl had golem powers or rock powers. I also remember some shady dude with tribal markings and an animal pet who betrayed the siblings or something. (I admit having a crush on him, lol.)

I used to watch some anime when I was younger during the 90s/2000s, like Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, YuuYuu Hakusho (for cute boys), a little bit of Gundam Wing (for cute boys--discovered slash fanfiction), Yugioh (for the cute boys), Beyblade (for the cute boys, slash, and awesome BitBeasts), Pokemon and Digimon, Monster Rancher, and Card Captor Sakura, etc.

Um...noticing a pattern: I tend to enjoy shounen series (though I dislike the fanservice) for fun adventures or action... and also watch for pretty boys to slash, lol.

I now watch more American or European cartoons, but I do watch some young shounen shows (like Inazuma Eleven). I'm extremely picky about entertainment stuff, especially anime, because I hate Male Gaze/fanservice/ecchi elements.

I like anime because they can deal with a variety of topics, like sports and slice of life. I love it when they slow down and show characterization in "quiet" moments of life, if that makes sense?

I watched a beautiful, heartbreaking anime movie, Wolf Children, that is about a human mother raising two werewolf children. I mean, I can't imagine an American cartoon tackling that. (Maybe a live-action show, but not an animated cartoon, unless it's an indie animation project.)

I love how they focus a lot on emotions or awesome or clever actions. Anything's possible with anime, it feels like. I also enjoy some of the slapstick/over-the-top humor or deadpan humor that some anime tends to portray. (The aspects I don't like are more with how female characters are sometimes portrayed as useless emotional support/cheerleaders/sex objects, etc. This tends to happens with shounen.)

I also love that there is a female fanbase for anime. Especially slash fandom, tee hee. :D

I'm currently writing a sort of supernatural sports story. I've always been inspired by supernatural and fantasy stuff.

However, I've been recently inspired by various sports anime, like Kuroko no Basuke, Haikyuu!!, and Inazuma Eleven series. Inazuma Eleven and Kuroko no Basuke sparked my interest in thinking about how superhuman beings would be playing sports.

Ok, Twilight's vampire baseball was also an inspiration, too, lol. I also was inspired by non-anime stuff, like sports books by Mike Lupica, and the soccer books by Alex Morgan.

alvin123
08-25-2015, 06:52 PM
I totally agree. They make them very over the top, which I feel converts to an interesting final confrontation at a book's climax if the recipe is followed correctly!

I wish I had time to draw...I always wanted to do a web comic or graphic novel.

I read some of Max Ride and was curious about the manga adaptation too. I haven't even flipped through it though because I'm worried that it will wreck the character designs in my head!

Same. I also have a feeling I may be disappointed with some of the choices in comparison with what I imagined.

Noizchild
08-26-2015, 05:01 AM

You too?

Melanii
08-26-2015, 06:34 AM
People think I should draw comics/manga, but I don't think I'm talented enough. XD

Fullon_v4.0
08-26-2015, 04:57 PM
People think I should draw comics/manga, but I don't think I'm talented enough. XD

Aww give it a shot :3 Your character designs are cute!

Hey I know, we should take this party to the comic book and graphic novel section and make a collab piece xD Maybe together we can get something done lol

Melanii
08-26-2015, 07:07 PM
That would be fun haha. XD

Noizchild
08-27-2015, 06:44 AM
I still have a "How to Draw Manga" book around somewhere.

Fullon_v4.0
08-27-2015, 04:16 PM
I still have a "How to Draw Manga" book around somewhere.

Mark Crilley? xD

Noizchild
08-28-2015, 12:49 AM
I don't remember, but it was the first book.

Liosse de Velishaf
08-28-2015, 05:49 AM
I remember Broken Sky! It was definitely very anime-like, maybe even a bit too much so.

Something to consider is that that Japanese already have a prose version of anime and manga: light novels. Some light novel series are quite good. But the rest definitely are subject to Sturgeon's law, as is anime, manga, and Western prose fiction, genre or otherwise.

I like all sorts of media. I watch a ton of anime, read some manga, watch American cartoons, play tons of video games. I think there's definitely things to be learned from other media, but certainly prose is the best source or influence, if not inspiration. So many things that work in episodic visual media just don't work in prose fiction. I can't imagine enjoying some of the sports anime/manga the same if they were written in prose. Different media have different strengths.

Of course, you also have to remember that the most popular anime in Western markets are created for the equivalent of the YA and MG and maybe NA markets. So if you're writing adult fiction, a lot of anime style stuff isn't going to be nearly as useful as inspiration or influence as it would be for YA or MG. Honestly, a lot of dystopian YA, especially the sci-fi stuff like Red Queen does have a decent amount in common with anime/manga, and would probably not do too badly translated into those formats.

Chasing the Horizon
08-28-2015, 06:52 AM
If not anime, what type of media influences your writing?
It would be hard for me to be influenced by anime since the only one I've ever watched is Death Note (though I did think it was a fantastic show). I'm very influenced by American and some British television and movies, though. Some people seem to think there's a problem with being influenced and inspired by various media, but I've never had trouble adapting influences from visual media into my books. Good storytelling is good storytelling, after all, and it's not like I don't read lots of novels too.

Since you don't have time for media of any kind, I guess you also don't have time to read other good writing, since writing is a form of media. ;)

Fullon_v4.0
08-28-2015, 08:52 PM
It would be hard for me to be influenced by anime since the only one I've ever watched is Death Note (though I did think it was a fantastic show). I'm very influenced by American and some British television and movies, though. Some people seem to think there's a problem with being influenced and inspired by various media, but I've never had trouble adapting influences from visual media into my books. Good storytelling is good storytelling, after all, and it's not like I don't read lots of novels too.

Indeed. A lot of writers are inspired by works from other mediums. Anime is no different. It's gotten it's way into movies, music, American cartoons, and of course books. No doubt about it that it's a special form of storytelling that when applied right can do wonders.

kuwisdelu
08-28-2015, 09:35 PM
My writing is heavily influenced by the styles of directors Hideaki Anno and Kunihiko Ikuhara.

Particularly, their creative use of symbolism, their character arcs, and their blending of the real with the imaginary.

Noizchild
08-29-2015, 01:35 AM
My writing is heavily influenced by the styles of directors Hideaki Anno and Kunihiko Ikuhara.

Particularly, their creative use of symbolism, their character arcs, and their blending of the real with the imaginary.

So you write mind screws and things that would help psychology students ace their class?

kuwisdelu
08-29-2015, 05:24 AM
So you write mind screws and things that would help psychology students ace their class?

Well, I try.

Noizchild
08-29-2015, 11:02 PM
I see.

c.m.n.
08-31-2015, 01:39 AM
My writing is slightly influenced by anime. It's really the only thing I watch, besides for the random movie every now and then. I use a lot of the common tropes introduced by (yaoi) anime for my characters. Older semes, young ukes, stuff like that. And it wasn't until recently that I stopped referring to my writing as yaoi and instead called it M/M -- cause yeah, surprisingly I found there are a lot of M/M readers who aren't familiar, or who don't like, yaoi. LOL

Other than anime, I'd say I'm also slightly influenced by movies and the few books I read.

Dawnstorm
08-31-2015, 07:44 AM
I love it when they slow down and show characterization in "quiet" moments of life, if that makes sense?

For me, this is the number one strength of anime. They're very good with those silent moments. It's hard to translate that into writing, though, since a big part of it is timing of cuts, colour concepts... Sometimes it's voice actors goofing off (anime voice actors play off each other in the studio; I hear that's not always the case in western animation, where especially big-name stars record their lines alone, time-table permitting). I can't imagine getting the same effect from a book. The closest thing I can think of is James Joyce in Dubliners, or Virginia Woolf's "Kew Gardens", but it's not quite the same.

Noizchild
09-01-2015, 03:59 AM
I'm trying to get the culture accurate myself.

Fullon_v4.0
09-01-2015, 05:24 PM
For me, this is the number one strength of anime. They're very good with those silent moments. It's hard to translate that into writing, though, since a big part of it is timing of cuts, colour concepts... Sometimes it's voice actors goofing off (anime voice actors play off each other in the studio; I hear that's not always the case in western animation, where especially big-name stars record their lines alone, time-table permitting). I can't imagine getting the same effect from a book. The closest thing I can think of is James Joyce in Dubliners, or Virginia Woolf's "Kew Gardens", but it's not quite the same.

I'm gonna echo this thought :)

This is where you have to "think anime"; capture that warmth of the sun, translate that scene were the music goes out. I don't know if anyone has seen Kanon, but I found the daily going-on's and heart to hearts to be inspiring for my writing.

Noizchild
09-02-2015, 05:14 AM

This is where you have to "think anime"; capture that warmth of the sun, translate that scene were the music goes out. I don't know if anyone has seen Kanon, but I found the daily going-on's and heart to hearts to be inspiring for my writing.

Word!

Latina Bunny
09-08-2015, 07:17 AM

Yes, I love those quiet or slower moments in anime, too. :)

Noizchild
09-09-2015, 06:24 AM
Yes, I love those quiet or slower moments in anime, too. :)

I haven't noticed them myself.

Latina Bunny
09-09-2015, 06:49 AM
I haven't noticed them myself.

Really?

Not even contemplative moments?

Maybe we watch different types of anime /read different manga? There are lots of little moments, especially in slice of life, that feel slow-paced, gentle, quiet and/or contemplative-ish. "Smell the roses" kinds of moments. Surprised you haven't noticed those little moments, if you watch lots of anime.

Even some shounen series have them, lol. :P

I've noticed this, and I'm not the hugest fan of most anime, hehe. ^_^;;

ETA: Another thing I noticed is that, in the anime I watched, characters tend to have lots of internal struggles, and some can even read each other's emotions through barely visible, super-subtle body language or eye contact.

It's like many characters are psychic, or ultra good psychologists or something, lol.

Noizchild
09-10-2015, 04:47 AM
I'll have to look closely at those moments now.

nastyjman
09-10-2015, 05:59 AM
Anyone saw Now and Then, Here and There? I have to say, in all of the anime series I have watched, that one left a scar on my soul. I think I saw it twelve or thirteen years ago, and to this day, I can still recall some of the most harrowing scenes.

Noizchild
09-11-2015, 07:42 AM
I have, it was good.

TheKalebRussell
09-21-2015, 05:24 AM
Anime has influenced my writing. I try to write in the style of manga and light novels. What about you? Who is with me? If not anime, what type of media influences your writing?

I've always been an avid anime viewer. I probably wouldn't be a read if it weren't for anime. I've tried to emulate an anime style of writing and failed miserably, but I have such a blast writing it.

kuwisdelu
09-21-2015, 05:36 AM
Can anyone else be more specific what they mean by "anime style"?

There is a world of difference between, say, Kon versus Miyazaki, or Kawamori versus Shinbou, etc.

Ravioli
09-21-2015, 11:10 AM
To be honest, I think a lot of anime (scripts) are horribly written with lots of time-filling/wasting narration of fights, BAM BAM BAM freeze frames to show everyone's reaction to something rather than just showing the "something" well, and way too much talk about what's going on as if people really have the "honor" to announce and explain their every move. Also too much cliché. And lots of the main characters introducing themselves to the audience in the beginning. Would you normally write, "Meet is Ass Waffle. He's a waiter at Asstown's smallest restaurant, Assyoghurt. His dream is to become the Uber-Ass"?
Now, a good classic anime or manga, that's something else, like Death Note or Kenshin, but nowadays it's mostly lazy writing to sell racy body pillows.

Actually, what does influence me, is the often very emotional, deep, and disturbing nature of much anime I know. It tends to be a lot more "real" sometimes (though far from realistic) when it comes to conflict, loss, emotions etc. When anime gets dark, it's pitch black.

Other inspiration... I like taking examples from purple prose, to be honest, then tune the purple down a few notches, and try to keep the melodic flair while dropping the cringeworthiness. I don't like "gray" writing with to-the-point, minimalist, short sentences. I like to accentuate, though not over-bling them. Jean Genet and Paulo Coelho are inspirations, though I'm sure you couldn't tell. Saying I write like those giants would be pompous.... And I really don't write like them... But they definitely influence me.

johnsolomon
09-21-2015, 07:34 PM
I've also been heavily influenced by anime (or should I say manga? I don't actually watch much anime because of the time commitment). I'm hoping that I can pull off some of my favourite tropes :)

I've always been an avid anime viewer. I probably wouldn't be a read if it weren't for anime. I've tried to emulate an anime style of writing and failed miserably, but I have such a blast writing it.

Hear hear :P It took a while to realise just how ridiculously different anime/manga and novels are, and there are so many things that you just can't carry over... I experimented for a while and eventually decided that I'd just use what works and stop trying to shoehorn in the rest ><

Noizchild
09-22-2015, 12:55 AM
Manga works too.