Diary of a Literary Fiction Editor

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Today was my first day on the job as a literary fiction editor. After two decades of submitting my fiction, I am now receiving fiction submissions.​

I thought it might be interesting to track my new adventure, so I started a blog to document what it will be like on the other side of the author/editor relationship.​

If you would like to be a virtual fly on a literary fiction editor's desk, you can view my progress at the following blog site.

Last edited:

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
I'll send you something so you can practice your rejection letters.

wink.gif

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
emeraldcite said:
I'll send you something so you can practice your rejection letters.

wink.gif

Yesterday, I would have laughed at that. Today. . . I'm truly agonizing over trying to find the right words to put into my rejection letter.

Ironically, I found two rejection letters in my mailbox today, and they both sucked, so I won't be modeling mine after either one.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
JAlpha said:
Today was my first day on the job as a literary fiction editor. After two decades of submitting my fiction, I am now receiving fiction submissions.​

I thought it might be interesting to track my new adventure, so I started a blog to document what it will be like on the other side of the author/editor relationship.​

If you would like to be a virtual fly on a literary fiction editor's desk, you can view my progress at the following blog site.
Diary of a Literary Fiction Editor.
http://diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com/
I visited your blog and it has just started. I am sure it will be a good place for writers and we can learn a lot from you. However, I wish you had not restricted commenting to bloggers only. I guess best option is to give word verification and that will fight with spam better.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
razibahmed said:
I visited your blog and it has just started. I am sure it will be a good place for writers and we can learn a lot from you. However, I wish you had not restricted commenting to bloggers only. I guess best option is to give word verification and that will fight with spam better.

Razibahmed,

I'm sorry about the comment feature; I'm actually going to change the setting fto no comments at all, because I know I won't be able to keep up with any of the comments, so I'd rather not have it look like I'm ignoring them.

Perhaps, after I get settled into my new position and adjust my time constraints I'll reconsider.

Thank you for checking it out though, and I do hope that we ALL learn something :)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
JAlpha - congratulations on the job AND the blog! I look forward to reading it and I'll put it on my AW blogroll as well.

Would you like to post in the sticky Absolute Writers' Blogs or would you like me to copy your post into it for you (because that's where I'd love to see a really complete collection of our blog sites, if you don't mind :) )

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Dawno said:
JAlpha - congratulations on the job AND the blog! I look forward to reading it and I'll put it on my AW blogroll as well.

Would you like to post in the sticky Absolute Writers' Blogs or would you like me to copy your post into it for you (because that's where I'd love to see a really complete collection of our blog sites, if you don't mind :) )

Thanks Dawno, I posted my message in the sticky :)

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
JAlpha said:
Razibahmed,

I'm sorry about the comment feature; I'm actually going to change the setting to no comments at all, because I know I won't be able to keep up with any of the comments, so I'd rather not have it look like I'm ignoring them.

Perhaps, after I get settled into my new position and adjust my time constraints I'll reconsider.

Thank you for checking it out though, and I do hope that we ALL learn something :)

Razibahmed,

I've reconsidered, and I have opened the comment feature on my blog; if I'm going to share my adventure, it does feel selfish to not allow commentary.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having comments is a challenge - especially if you're a blogger with a high profile (and as an editor you will - that blog title is highly searchable, unlike NVNC ID VIDES...which occasionally gets googled when somene typoes video...) But the great thing about it being your blog is you can delete stuff if it's inappropriate :)

Last edited:

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Dawno said:
Having comments is a challenge - especially if you're a blogger with a high profile (and as an editor you will - that blog title is highly searchable, unlike NVNC ID VIDES...which occasionally gets googled when somene typoes video...) But the great thing about it being your blog is you can delete stuff if it's inappropriate :)

Thanks Dawno for the heads up about the Google searches. I had to laugh when you said my blog title was highly searchable; I have absolutely no idea why I got this strange image in my head, but I felt like you had just told me I was wearing a skirt that the sun was shinning right through. . .if you know what I mean. Made me want to run and change my title into something less revealing :ROFL:

The good news is that I've been amassing a great deal of information about blogging right here in the blogging threads, and I feel like I'm at least willing to try to manage keeping the comment option open. And don't ya know that the first two comments to show up where AW'rs giving me great warm fuzzies and encouragement.

Big group hug :e2grouphu Thank you all so much for all the wonderful support I've been given, some visible and a great deal behind the scenes via IM's and e-mails, and yes, even a few submissions :)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Typically I put AW blogs with AW usernames in my sidebar - since I don't want to "out" you on my blog I'll wait until I hear from you if that's ok. Meanwhile I'll list your blog in my "writing related bloggers" sidebar.

Thanks for the hug :)