PDA

View Full Version : Straight Outta Compton

Stiger05
08-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it! I thought they did an excellent job telling the story. You could tell where they had to cut some stuff for length (apparently it was originally 3 hours long). I don't know how someone unfamiliar with NWA will feel--my mind automatically filled in some of the gaps. The acting wasn't always the best, at least not from the side characters, but the guys playing Dre, Eazy, Cube (played by Cube's son), and Suge did great. Obviously the sound track is amazing. And I learned what inspired Cube to say "Bye, Felisha." http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.png

Anyone else see it yet?

LOG
08-19-2015, 09:13 AM
I have not seen it, and after stumbling across this particular article (http://gawker.com/heres-whats-missing-from-straight-outta-compton-me-and-1724735910) I'm not greatly inspired to do so.

Celia Cyanide
08-22-2015, 07:42 PM
I have not seen it, and after stumbling across this particular article (http://gawker.com/heres-whats-missing-from-straight-outta-compton-me-and-1724735910) I'm not greatly inspired to do so.

Do people really not know about this?

I actually remember all of this when it happened. Eminem even referenced Dee Barnes in Guilty Conscience.

LOG
08-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Do people really not know about this?

I actually remember all of this when it happened. Eminem even referenced Dee Barnes in Guilty Conscience.
Before my time.

Celia Cyanide
08-23-2015, 11:01 PM
I don't blame Dee Barnes for telling her story, but I am rather miffed that after 20 years, NWA is finally being recognized as culturally significant, and the media decides to start caring about this aspect of Dre's life. At the time, everyone knew this had happened, but all they cared about was F@$# The Police.

I don't like to see this coming from a site like Gawker, who thought it was so funny when they received a blind item about an A-list actor secretly being a "gay rapist" that they had their readers vote on who it might be! Hilarious!

I am a long time fan, and it has taken a long time to forgive Dr Dre for this, but I have. IMO, he has shown a lot more remorse that Mark Walberg ever did for blinding a man for being Vietnamese.

CrastersBabies
08-24-2015, 10:49 AM
I think everyone has to make the decision for themselves to let the violence "go" and carry on, or walk away from an artist.

But then again, I throw up in my mouth whenever I see someone talking about their fabulous time at a Chris Brown concert.

I have little interest in this film, but can respect the cultural significance.

Celia Cyanide
08-24-2015, 04:00 PM
I think everyone has to make the decision for themselves to let the violence "go" and carry on, or walk away from an artist.

But then again, I throw up in my mouth whenever I see someone talking about their fabulous time at a Chris Brown concert.

Yeah, me too. One big difference with him, for me, anyway, is that he has never shown any remorse whatsoever. And it almost seems like Rhianna has gotten more flack for getting back together with him than he has for doing what he did. Chris Brown is still young, and maybe when he gets older, he will mature, like Dr Dre has. All the members of NWA have chilled out and matured a lot as they have gotten older.

I admit, though, it is kind of a pet peeve of mine when someone starts a thread about a movie they enjoyed, and someone else comes along and says, "I haven't seen it, and I don't want to."

Chris P
08-24-2015, 04:25 PM
I'd like to see it. I was into classic rock and metal at the time, so it's a whole section of the music/culture world I don't know anything about.

It does bother me, after reading the article LOG linked to, that the abuse isn't in the film, especially if it was well known at the time--the news would be part of the cultural history, let alone any putting-on-a-pedestal of the celebrities. I'm sure there was nasty stuff left out of Ray and Walk the Line, but it was still clear that Charles and Cash had their problems and what those problems were.

Stiger05
08-24-2015, 05:26 PM
FWIW Dre did come out and apologize (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/22/arts/music/dr-dre-apologizes-to-the-women-ive-hurt.html?_r=0). Not that it means I condone that behavior, but he's a different person now than he was then. (Unlike Chris Brown, who doesn't seem the least bit affected by what he did to Rihanna).

While the movie didn't delve specifically into that issue, it didn't completely ignore the way the group treated women as objects. I would've been more upset if the Dee Barnes attack had been ignored in a Dr Dre biopic. But this wasn't just Dre's story, or Cube's, or Eazy's. It was about the group, and it's hard to fit everything that happened to everybody into one movie without making it a miniseries. They left out a lot more than just Barnes, glancing over Eazy's drugs and Cube's movies/connections to Islam, hell they even left out one of the biggest dis tracks of all time.

This is going to sound crass, but I can't think of another way to say it. As a storyteller, you have to figure out which story you're telling and stick to it. The movie told the story of how NWA came to be, how the members got screwed over by their manager, how the group fell apart, and how they almost came back together. It was a movie about how five guys came together and told the world about the violence they faced on a daily basis in their neighborhood, both from gangs and the police who were supposed to be helping them.

I'm a fan of NWA because they opened the doors for other realistic rappers, like 2Pac. And as a white girl from rural Alabama, that music opened my eyes to the kind of oppression that occurred in other parts of the country. It made me think and it allowed me to see the world from a different perspective. The music felt important to me, even as a kid (I was a middle-schooler at the height of Pac). So that's why I saw the movie, and it's why I enjoyed it. If you're looking for an expose on the daily lives and behaviors of the members, then this movie isn't for you.

CrastersBabies
08-25-2015, 12:37 AM
I don't like that much either, Celia. Not trying to do that, so won't stay long here! I think this is a film that I will see someday. Probably on HBO or whatnot. My husband definitely wants to see it.

And I agree, Chris Brown just seems like jerk all around. Booo.

Celia Cyanide
08-25-2015, 06:46 AM
While the movie didn't delve specifically into that issue, it didn't completely ignore the way the group treated women as objects. I would've been more upset if the Dee Barnes attack had been ignored in a Dr Dre biopic. But this wasn't just Dre's story, or Cube's, or Eazy's. It was about the group, and it's hard to fit everything that happened to everybody into one movie without making it a miniseries. They left out a lot more than just Barnes, glancing over Eazy's drugs and Cube's movies/connections to Islam, hell they even left out one of the biggest dis tracks of all time.

Yeah, that was a point that a lot of people have made. There were so many side stories, and other things going on. Between Dr Dre, Easy E, and Ice Cube, any of the 3 of them could have had their own miniseries. There is just way to much to the story. They chose to focus on their rise to fame, which is a story that hasn't been told yet.

Jcomp
08-26-2015, 01:56 AM
Yeah, that was a point that a lot of people have made. There were so many side stories, and other things going on. Between Dr Dre, Easy E, and Ice Cube, any of the 3 of them could have had their own miniseries. There is just way to much to the story. They chose to focus on their rise to fame, which is a story that hasn't been told yet.

Yeah. One reason why I'm not exactly in a rush to see this (though I'm sure I will eventually) is that I actually think this probably should have been a miniseries. But as you said, this is a story not yet told on any screen yet, so at least there's that. And, by all accounts, it's at least much, much better than that dreadful Biggie biopic. So there's that.

Celia Cyanide
01-25-2016, 03:39 PM
My husband bought this and we finally got to watch it last night. Fantastic! Ice Cube's son looked just like him, and the actor who played Easy-E was well cast, too.

I do wonder if some of the controversy about the "White Oscars" this year came from this movie. There was a lot of talent in this movie that should have been recognized, IMO.

One thing I found kind of interesting was that there were quite a few scenes that reminded me of CB4. A lot of that movie was probably based on NWA's real story.

Axl Prose
01-28-2016, 11:29 AM
My husband bought this and we finally got to watch it last night. Fantastic! Ice Cube's son looked just like him, and the actor who played Easy-E was well cast, too.

I do wonder if some of the controversy about the "White Oscars" this year came from this movie. There was a lot of talent in this movie that should have been recognized, IMO.

One thing I found kind of interesting was that there were quite a few scenes that reminded me of CB4. A lot of that movie was probably based on NWA's real story.
CB4 used NWA as the whole basis for the movie. Chris Rock at his finest btw.

Love NWA and finally glad they are getting recognized. All this stuff going on with society, with the cops and racism and all, NWA was talking trash about that in 1988. Of course at the time, they were viewed as loudmouth thugs promoting violence. Kind of a shame really, that there music can still be used as a soundtrack to 2015.

Haven't seen it and doubt I will but I heard it's great. RIP EAZY-E....boy you should have known by now, Eazy duz it!